Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begrudgingly “Recalls” FSD Beta for NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will be a sticky on all of the vehicle forums shortly:

(moderator note: related threads here…)
FSD Recall? in Software
Recall FUD in Uk

46071715365_d36a6e2bf4_b (1).jpg

"Full Self Driving Tesla" by rulenumberone2 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't receive a letter on many of the Recalls like Rolling Stop signs and Window Pinch just to name a couple. Did you receive letters on all of them?
Regarding stop recall: were you in the FSD Beta group at the time?
Window pinch: Should have been mailed November 15th (it's not yet fully resolved).
Have you checked your VIN against Recalls | NHTSA to see which recalls apply?

Another possibility is that your state's motor vehicle department has the wrong address for you, so the notices are being lost in the mail.

I won't be in the running for recall notices until Cybertruck gets delivered...

[rambling thoughts]I remember reading (and my memory is well....... 🤔 ) that Tesla must notify about the Recall on April 25 (or sometime around this). In the past most OT Recalls have been done without a letter being sent. Wonder if the stipulation is that if the Recall is "fixed" and completed before the notification date (April 25) that Tesla (or any auto maker) can avoid sending out letters. This would actually save a chunk of change since 400k is a huge costs.
My Tesla has had two recalls (stop sign rolling and boombox disabling). I received a letter via US Postal Service from Tesla for both of these after the fix had already been installed. I don't recall getting one for the windows.

BTW - have you seen the warnings companies put on products these days? Likely either regulations required them, or someone sued the company...
My favorite is still where a frozen pizza mentions taking it out of the box and other packaging before putting it in the oven.
Will the "recall" mean fixing all the incorrect speed limits? They should fire their current map provider for those.

I don't think it's map data. The system relies on seeing and interpreting a sign.
I think it's partially map data and partially the car "looking" at the sign. There is a truck speed limit sign on a highway I always take that my M3 puts on the screen. I am starting to think that, since it's a two part sign (the part of the sign that says "TRUCK" is separate from the part that has the number and has kind of a large gap between them) that the car thinks that it's correct. Haven't had it change on the screen with any one piece truck signs or if the separate part doesn't have much of a gap.

Reactions: zoomer0056
My favorite is still where a frozen pizza mentions taking it out of the box and other packaging before putting it in the oven.

I think it's partially map data and partially the car "looking" at the sign. There is a truck speed limit sign on a highway I always take that my M3 puts on the screen. I am starting to think that, since it's a two part sign (the part of the sign that says "TRUCK" is separate from the part that has the number and has kind of a large gap between them) that the car thinks that it's correct. Haven't had it change on the screen with any one piece truck signs or if the separate part doesn't have much of a gap.
I have seen many times when a truck blocks a sign for a changed speed limit, my car does not change the displayed speed limit. When the same sign is not blocked, the car correctly changes the speed limit. If the car was using map data, then it would have changed the speed regardless of whether the sign was visible. This is for a sign that has been in place for many years, so not a matter of maps not catching up with changes.

It's both. For areas where there are no signs, obviously the car is relying on the map. I believe the map also marks the locations of signs, and then when the car passes through, it reads the actual sign. Lastly, the car can also recognize signs that are not on the map. Tests have been done where people put up a sign where one didn't exist and car is able to recognize, although there is a sanity check for speed limits that are unusual (I believe they tried an unusual number like 69 for example, which isn't multiple of 5).

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
It's both. For areas where there are no signs, obviously the car is relying on the map. I believe the map also marks the locations of signs, and then when the car passes through, it reads the actual sign. Lastly, the car can also recognize signs that are not on the map. Tests have been done where people put up a sign where one didn't exist and car is able to recognize, although there is a sanity check for speed limits that are unusual (I believe they tried an unusual number like 69 for example, which isn't multiple of 5).
What happens when the test sign is taken down but the car's map data has that location?

My Tesla has had two recalls (stop sign rolling and boombox disabling). I received a letter via US Postal Service from Tesla for both of these after the fix had already been installed. I don't recall getting one for the windows.
I never received any letter from Tesla concerning recalls. The address is correct and as been living here with many other vehicles for a long time, but mine is S, so not sure if there is anything to do with it.

I actually don't have a problem with them calling things "recall" where the remedy is ultimately a OTA update, it's fine if you want to use "recall" to communicate the seriousness of the issue. I.e. it belongs to a class of issues that can warrant recalls.

My problem with "recall" is it's being used for issues that are clearly not high severity, like for bugs in convenience features or the boombox feature. FSD/Autopilot bugs that prevent the driver from taking back control because the computer froze or something, that would be recall-class IMO, not the fact that the system doesn't choose the right lanes or whatever.

When I had an Acura it had a recall where the airbags would occasionally explode and embed hot metal shrapnel in your face, that's high severity, recall-worthy. On the contrary, issues where my car can make fart or coconut sound FX or an elaborate cruise control system can roll stop signs are not recall-worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Tests have been done where people put up a sign where one didn't exist and car is able to recognize, although there is a sanity check for speed limits that are unusual (I believe they tried an unusual number like 69 for example, which isn't multiple of 5).
images

I can't believe a Musk-owned AI would ignore this sign

What happens when the test sign is taken down but the car's map data has that location?
The car doesn't add any locations to the map. AFAIK, the map data for road furniture is supplied by a mapping company (like Tomtom). If the database has a sign marked at the given location, the car will read it.

I don't know what happens however if an official sign is removed by the local government and the map data has not been updated. I presume it will just fall back to the map data for the general area (the first case I mention for areas without a sign), given there is no sign to read.

The car doesn't add any locations to the map. AFAIK, the map data for road furniture is supplied by a mapping company (like Tomtom). If the database has a sign marked at the given location, the car will read it.

I don't know what happens however if an official sign is removed by the local government and the map data has not been updated. I presume it will just fall back to the map data for the general area (the first case I mention for areas without a sign), given there is no sign to read.
I agree. It's pretty crazy to think map data is different for each car based on where it's driven.

Last year we had 2 signs down for several weeks. One was where the speed limit transitions from 35 mph to 45 mph, and the other, on a different road, where the limit transitions from 45 mph to 55 mph. The first was a (main) county road, the other a main state north-south highway. In both cases, TACC and the UI both stayed at the lower speed limit, although the map data would not have changed (same for decades). When the signs went back up, the transitions returned immediately.

I agree. It's pretty crazy to think map data is different for each car based on where it's driven.
I swear, the map data does change on a daily basis somehow, though. I’m not sure why.

An interstate highway on-ramp near me was moved by 0.5 miles last year, and I stg every other drive it knows where the ramp is and doesn’t the rest of the time. It’s so freaking weird. I always have to look at the navigation directions to know if I have to drive manually in that part of town (otherwise the Beta will miss it) or if it has it under control that day.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP