Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla blames MCU resets on Tesla Waze Website.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... my main display has been randomly rebooting and having issues where audio cuts out, temp shows dashes, odometer says "0", cellular cuts out, etc. hassle and a 1/2.

Finally took it in. They claim the Tesla Waze website runs all the time, even if not in the car, cumulatively eating RAM/CPU until it the MCU gives up the ghost.

Now... is this a cop out, or legit? I haven't programmed in a few years, but I do work in the IT field... I'm responsible for servers where developers blame us, and like the awesomeness that is Silicon Valley, we blame developers for bad code.

In this case, I'm going to blame Tesla.
If a website can crash your computer... you built a bad computer/browser.

It should have built in protection for that issue. Else, for fun, many people would be writing computer crashing websites.

I do however believe they may be accurate. rebooting the thing or visiting any other website seems to bring it back to life.

Also, the loaner I have; of course I use the waze website, and it's now doing the same damn thing...

I can obviously run WAZE on the phone (might have to soon)... but... anyone else having this issue?

thanks

FWIW, we never used the browser on our MX and I don't remember the MCU ever resets. There were 2 times the car didn't response and we had to manually reset it, but I think both were after a firmware updates. We never used the browser in the car because the one on the phones or tablets were so much better and faster.

My brother had symptoms such as yours which (apparently, in his case) were caused by a corrupted file in the last update.

He was instructed to do 3 hard resets in a row and that actually appears to have solved the problem (no reboots, audio or bluetooth issues for over a week now).

He wasn't thrilled because that cleared all his settings and trip logs, but the car is functional again.

I think its usb mp3 related more. Are ppl getting reboots without usb drive?

Im getting a lot less (cant recall one) since i converted all my music to mp3 from aac esp and wma etc (music plays without issue too)."Loading Error" when playing from flash drive.

Yeah a faulty website shouldn’t bring down ur mcu tesla...the system should sandbox that o/w bad guys could use that as a entry. Neither should a thumb drive....

Thanks for this post. I noticed my MCU reboots a lot more since I tested going to Tesla Waze site and didn't correlate the two. I wonder if it's still on the browser in the background. I'll check when I go to lunch. Is it enough to just navigate away from the site or would I need to clear the cache/cookies (if that's possible)?

Your Honor, leading the witness.

Thanks for this post. I noticed my MCU reboots a lot more since I tested going to Tesla Waze site and didn't correlate the two. I wonder if it's still on the browser in the background. I'll check when I go to lunch. Is it enough to just navigate away from the site or would I need to clear the cache/cookies (if that's possible)?

• Funny
Reactions: Emcsquared

I read somewhere in the forum (can't find the thread) that you should set your browser to a simple site like google.com so that if it happens to refresh in the background, you will reduce the risk of random MCU reboots...not sure if its true but I rarely use the browser and have it set to google.com and have had about 3 reboots in 18 months of ownership (yes, totally anecdotal evidence)

Reactions: ASUComputerGuy
I definitely noticed more issues w/ my MCU when I used the web browser. TeslaWaze included, but not specifically.

I found the garage door opener was slow to respond (show the little transmit button) and occasional crashes. Those issues all reduced when I stopped using the web browser.

I tested TeslaWaze a few weeks ago when I read it was ready for use. It froze my MCU after about 2 minutes so I had to pull off the freeway and reboot. It’s not ready for prime time, IMHO.

You can reboot your 17" screen while driving. You will lose your air-conditioning and radio/media player during the reboot.

I have been using TeslaWaze for years and cannot attribute TeslaWaze causing the reboots.

You won't have to worry about it in few days:

upload_2018-5-24_9-57-35.png

I have not experienced any reboots related to TeslaWaze though. I do make it a habit to do a full reboot after every software update anyway.

You can reboot your 17" screen while driving

Perhaps I wasn’t patient enough — reboots usually only take a few seconds — but when I tried rebooting while driving the MCU went black for ~5 minutes at which point I happened to be at an exit so I pulled off, stopped, and initiated the reboot sequence again. That time it rebooted normally.

In this case, I'm going to blame Tesla.
If a website can crash your computer... you built a bad computer/browser.

100% this. If you build a web browser, you need to make sure it doesn't leak memory or allow things to grow uncontrollably. No matter what the website has in terms of CSS and javascript. If something is growing out of bounds, you handle it, especially in an embedded system with limited resources. Freeze the script, close the page, whatever it takes.

100% this. If you build a web browser, you need to make sure it doesn't leak memory or allow things to grow uncontrollably. No matter what the website has in terms of CSS and javascript. If something is growing out of bounds, you handle it, especially in an embedded system with limited resources. Freeze the script, close the page, whatever it takes.

Remove the web browser... :)

• Funny
Reactions: DOCAL
That's nice in theory. In practice, just about all web browsers have had problems with memory leaks forever. (FireFox was notorious for this a few years ago).