Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good thing is Tesla will honor your order price even if you put it on hold, as long as you don't make any edits to the order.

when I picked up my model y LR in late oct 2021 they honored my $48,990 since I had it on hold for over a year (pandemic reasons and didn't need a second vehicle yet for work so made sense).

I feel a lot of people will put their orders on hold who are expecting delivery within next two months.

I'm confused by the ordering process, or more specifically by my options.

I ordered in September and paid the non-refundable $250. I haven't completed any further steps.
How long can I stay in this status ?

I'm less interested in preserving my car price or in waiting for a possible tax credit; for me, it is a desire to amend my order to a 4680 Model Y with increased range if it becomes available in the near future

Last edited:

I ordered in September and paid the non-refundable $250. I haven't completed any further steps.

I'm less interested in preserving my car price or in waiting for a possible tax credit; for me, it is a desire to amend my order to a 4680 Model Y with increased range if it becomes available in the near future
Where have you seen the 4680 is going to increase range?

what did you do? did you take delivery?

I am getting a bit paranoid as I got the cancel email, responded and said they will note in my account and will reach out again in few months. Nothing to really do but will see on Nov 16th if my order is still in and on hold.
No, I didn't take delivery. I received an email the next day which assured me my hold is good!

Regarding the first part of your question, you can hold your order by not filling any info in for a long time. I used that method to hold my April order thru end October. I got a call from my SA once at the beginning of a quarter to ask what was up and I made an excuse up and then never heard back.

Waiting for 4680 + longer range is a riskier proposition. I just don't see 4680 happening anytime soon given where things are to date, and even if they do start making 4680 cars, I don't think they are going to suddenly bump up the range much. Tesla is battery starved and would happily use saved battery capacity with 4680 on making and delivering more cars. The MY/M3 have no real competition in terms of range at the moment so there is no real incentive for Tesla to go out of their way to improve on this front when they could use the efficiencies of 4680 to drive more profit and revenue growth.

You may be able to hold till you get a car with 4680 cells, but it is even less likely that the car will have a big bump in range.

Where have you seen the 4680 is going to increase range?

We know that Tesla can increase the energy/volume with the bigger cells -- that was disclosed during battery day.
We do NOT know if Tesla will decide to do so ever; when possible; or later.

Take your best guess !

FWIW, I agree with others that IF Tesla comes out of the gate with a Max 4680 Model Y, it will more expensive and will be sold as a different trim than what anyone has ordered. So anyone who wants that car will be amending their order and thereby losing their locked in price. An earlier place in line may still hold true.

Last edited:
Waiting for 4680 + longer range is a riskier proposition.

No risk to me, since I can always buy the current Model Y if I decide to not wait for a longer range model.

Will a longer range Model 'Y' become available soon after the 4680 tech starts going into cars ? My speculation is yes, at a price premium. That has been the Tesla way (and the way of every other manufacturer, for that matter) for as long as I have followed these things.

my guess is that Tesla will increase the model Y/3 price by at least $4000-$5000 more between now and January to capture the tax credit.
So this tax credit thing is not helping people. Instead, it helps big corporates like Tesla, Ford, GM, etc.
That’s sad.
This was always going to happen. Car manufacturers will price their cars so the demand matches their production capacity. It really is more of an incentive for car manufacturers to produce more EVs, since they can now increase their profit margin by $8K. As for the consumers, well who doesn’t like to think they’re getting an $8K discount.

Is the reason why the Point of Sale portion of the tax credit was pushed to 2023 because the IRS/US Gov doesnt anticipate getting their crap together before then? Its too bad because, at least in my state (CT) because its not POS, I have to now pay sales tax on the full price of the vehicle, and not the reduced price with the POS credit. It roughly equates to $500 more out of my pocket going to my state. Granted, not a lot in the grand scheme, but still, another way that my state and the gov has been able to extract more tax dollars out of me. SMH
I didn't even think about this difference in cost when it comes to POS vs. tax refund. In WA, the car sales tax is 10.4% so that's $832 on an $8k tax credit.

Please make the EV tax credit standalone bill and pass it tomorrow. I don’t care about the rest of the BBB.
Not gonna happen. The Senate can only use reconciliation a limited number of times (traditionally once per fiscal year), and they’re not about to waste an arrow in their quiver just for the EV tax credits. We'll just need to be patient and wait for them to get their act together.