Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes up in flames!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like an early car (VIN < 4000) based on the license plate. Here's a short article: Tesla Fire Closes Santa Monica Blvd. - WEHOville

I like how they just throw in the last line at the end, without giving any details because it wasn't a Tesla: "At the same time another vehicle fire occurred on Crescent Heights Boulevard north of Fountain Avenue."

That looks tame in comparison to our nanny's brand new 2016 Subaru that spontaneously caught fire in her driveway 10 minutes after being turned off. Just a few hundred thousand cars that Subaru had to recall for that one.

Subaru recalled a few hundred thousand cars.
Subaru issues recall notice to over 600,000 car owners for potential fire risk

The 633,842 vehicles potentially affected by the recall may be equipped with accessory puddle lights that when lit brighten the areas under the doors, according to NHTSA documents.

A Subaru spokesman said the recall involves only 53,999 cars equipped with the lights, but the wider number of owners must be alerted because the company does not know which cars have them.

There have been no reports of accidents or injuries related to the issue, but there was one report of smoke, the spokesman said.

Good for them.
Now how about Tesla?

Mmm hmm. There was also this one:
Subaru recalls 100,000 Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback vehicles over fire hazard

Subaru is recalling more than 100,000 Forester, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback vehicles equipped with turbocharged engines. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, an electrical problem with those vehicles could start a fire.

The problem is rooted in a relay manufactured by TE Connectivity, based in Pennsylvania. NHTSA reports that the relay--which controls the turbocharger's secondary air injection pump--may be prone to fail, and if it does, the pump can overheat.

Should that happen, the pump may melt, increasing the risk of fire. To date, Subaru has received at least one report of a fire related to a failed relay.

I'm sure if they find there's a wide spread problem, Tesla will issue a recall. They've shown no reluctance to do so in the past (titanium armor plate, seat belt latch, power steering bolts).

My point is any car can catch fire, every manufacturer has had issues, including brand new models and even when turned off. Interestingly, only one manfacturer seems to get the lion's share of news coverage. Wonder why that is...

Our spontaneously combusting Subaru didn't even make the local news, despite burning itself completely to the ground and nearly catching the house on fire (thank God it was in the driveway and not in the garage).

Anyhow, we'll need to wait and see what the investigation finds as the root cause. From that video, some sort of physical puncture looks most likely, but no one knows at this point.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
From Twitter
@marycmccormack: @Tesla This is what happened to my husband and his car today. No accident,out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over. And thank god my three little girls weren’t in the car with him Mary McCormack on Twitter
Spontaneous, non-traumatic cause would be bad. Hope Tesla responds quickly.

I don't hear any exploding battery cells. Perhaps it is just the Ethylene Glycol burning.
Why can't Tesla use a safer coolant fluid?
Like what? Propylene glycol? They both have the same ignition temperature, around 700F. When mixed 50/50 with water, as is the case when used as coolant, they are both nearly inflammable (all of water needs to boil off first).

Ethylene glycol MSDS
Propylene glycol MSDS

You're clearly just trolling now.

ICE vehicles catch on fire every second across north America. Guess when a battery catches on fire every one goes nuts. I sure wouldn't want to be breathing in that smoke.

Curious if this is a Tesla that was rebuilt. That would make things interesting.

Reactions: Bebop