Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sweet so MCU 1 -> MCU 2 upgrade is happening for $2500 - I think I might just do this! I take it if you bought FSD like I did for late 2016 Model S (AP2.0), you STILL have to pay an additional $2500 for the MCU2.

Depends whether you believe that random guy on Twitter’s anonymous source...

(No offense intended to said guy(or gal?))

Last edited:
Green addresses that on Twitter. MCU1 uses an analog tuner and MCU2 digital. He says there’s “substantial” labor in doing the tuner replacement, so I guess Tesla decided to forego that...
Thank you. A crap decision in my opinion. Several of my stations are not available on tunin. And those old fashioned “tune radio to ... for travel information”

Reactions: Ken7
Tweet: Bonnie Norman on Twitter

dh3j9yG.jpg

Wow this thread completely exploded - 6 pages of posts in 12 hours :)

Good to hear that MCU1 owners will have a viable upgrade path. For the people questioning removal of FM/AM/XM, that is either a big deal or it's not depending on your personal preference.

For me, I couldn't even tell you if my car has AM radio. I can probably count the number of times I've used FM on one hand. I also have an XM subscription but I barely use it. Most of the listening I do is either with TuneIn or Slacker.

One thing I am curious about is regulations around the emergency broadcast system. I live not to far from a nuclear power station and my area has signs up that in case of an emergency, we have to tune to a specific FM or AM station for instructions. If no FM radio, how is that supposed to work?

Who doesn’t feel bad for the people who paid$1800 for a MCU1 3 months ago?
How about people who will pay for in the next few months? Cars most likely to have a failed MCU are last on the upgrade eligibility list. When your MCU is dead, most cannot afford to be patient waiting for new MCU (not everyone is like Elon, have plenty of other cars to drive while his car is awaiting service for weeks or even months).

PS> I know they say April, but that is the start date, which could mean your car is not eligible until next year, like when they had ludicrous upgrade or even the UV treatment for yellow screens - Tesla wait queues can be very long.

Last edited:
Wow, This is fantastic news !!!

I currently have a Raven but this thread has really bothered me because we could all be in the same boat some day.
How many car manufacturers would take this on besides Tesla? None.
The fact that Tesla did something they didn't have to do, to keep your cars more current, owners happy and better resale value is just super.

I'd get the upgrade in a heartbeat.

Infotainment Upgrade

infotainment-upgrade.jpg

Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, as well as a more advanced and smoother user experience.

Owners of Model S and Model X built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an Infotainment Upgrade, enabling access to some of our favorite features like video streaming and an expanded Tesla Arcade, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen experience.

Eligible owners will be invited by email to schedule an appointment to purchase and install the Infotainment Upgrade through Tesla Service. This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation. You won’t be able to purchase the upgrade before we notify you that your car is eligible.

Note: Some features enabled by the Infotainment Upgrade require a Premium Connectivity subscription of $9.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may already have Premium Connectivity. Confirm your status in your Tesla Account.

Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade. Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer.

Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about connectivity, your status and how to subscribe.

[paste:font size="5"]Details

How do I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?
Owners will be notified when the Infotainment Upgrade is available for their car and can schedule an appointment for purchase and installation.

How will I be notified that the upgrade is available?
We’ll send an update on availability and more information to the email address on your Tesla Account.

When will the Infotainment Upgrade be available for me?
Model S and Model X owners will be invited in groups based on their Autopilot Computer and feature configurations.

Configuration Beginning Availability
Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability Scheduling Now
Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability Late March
All remaining Model S and Model X owners Early April
*Currently limited to US only at this time. Other regions to be announced.

Why isn’t the Infotainment Upgrade available for me yet?
We’re working on making the upgrade available for all owners but are not ready to start installations for all configurations yet. We’ll invite owners as their cars become eligible.

How do I check what Autopilot Computer I have?
Check your configuration from your touchscreen. Select ‘Controls’ then ‘Software’ and confirm Autopilot computer type. Then press ‘Additional Vehicle Information.’

Thank you. A crap decision in my opinion. Several of my stations are not available on tunin. And those old fashioned “tune radio to ... for travel information”
I checked and most of the stations I listen to on AM/FM radio are not available on TuneIn. I'd probably be more okay with losing radio if we had access to more music streaming services in the vehicle that could actually replace the radio (it seems like iHeartRadio took the rights for many stations away from TuneIn, and I'm not planning on fumbling on my phone to change music stations).

How about people who will pay for in the next few months? Cars most likely to have a failed MCU are last on the upgrade eligibility list. When your MCU is dead, most cannot afford to be patient waiting for new MCU (not everyone is like Elon, have plenty of other cars to drive while his car is awaiting service for weeks or even months).

PS> I know they say April, but that is the start date, which could mean your car is not eligible until next year, like when they had ludicrous upgrade or even the UV treatment for yellow screens - Tesla wait queues can be very long.
Right! So what we need to do is work together here. Everyone postpone your existing BS nit picky service appointments for awhile so they can work through this process. I’ve got one scheduled mid month for an annoying wiper noise that I can easily live with for a little longer until the upgrade is ready for my 2013 with a rapidly degrading MCU.

Just cancelled my service appointment and will eagerly await the upgrade scheduling email!

From the mentioned site:

The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade.

What is this? So cars with HW2.5 and MCU1 will lose Sentry Mode and DashCam unless they upgrade to MCU2 with the new FSD computer?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and glide
Sorry if this was asked, but if one pays the $2500 for the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, is Tesla going to try and steal our MCU1's and not return them to us after the upgrade?? $2500 seems steep if that includes a "core charge".
Tesla has a monopoly on this, so they can charge what the market will bear. They can even do phased pricing, high prices for people who want it now, once demands slows, offer discounts get the people willing to pay $2,000, then $1,500, until it's no longer profitable. The only good news is, that if there is enough profit in the upgrades, Elon might actually apply some pressure to do them, keep the supply flowing, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
Right! So what we need to do is work together here. Everyone postpone your existing BS nit picky service appointments for awhile so they can work through this process. I’ve got one scheduled mid month for an annoying wiper noise that I can easily live with for a little longer until the upgrade is ready for my 2013 with a rapidly degrading MCU.

Just cancelled my service appointment and will eagerly await the upgrade scheduling email!
Your car is a 2013 and the upgrade eligibility schedule seems to be in reverse chronological order- newest cars fist. It could be worse, you could be driving a 2012 car. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ‘Merica