Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get your install issues sorted out?
Yes, mobile took care of it today.
1) The coaxial antennae was apparently a 'soft connection' and not pushed in all the way or wiggled loose as they were initially doing the install.
2) My nav data update is also done. His review of the log showed it timed out for some reason. He started it again and it worked OK.
Just did a test drive and everything is working as expected with the neighborhood stopsigns and a nearby stoplight.

Thanks for the info. I received a similar email saying the parts had been ordered (both an MCU and an Instrument Cluster). The order date was June 9 and the ETA was June 11. I called yesterday and no parts had yet been received. Based on the email in the other thread it looks like I should get another email when the parts are received. Thanks, again, for sharing.
I have an MCU 1 that failed on June 3, replacement ordered June 8, still #@%$# waiting for the part to be shipped, then installed!

Does Elon read this forum?

I love my 2016 P100D with AM/FM radio and while I am willing to pay for the infotainment upgrade, I want to keep my AM/FM radio and would be willing to pay a little more to get that tuner2 upgraded at the same time.

Elon please make this possible !

I am feeling cheated that I can’t get this done by Tesla, when we all know it is possible.

who had the bright idea that people would happily downgrade their car to get the infotainment upgrade. Which by way, includes a very IMHO feature “sentry cam”.

how do we let Elon know how many of us want this!

I have an MCU 1 that failed on June 3, replacement ordered June 8, still #@%$# waiting for the part to be shipped, then installed!

Sorry you have had to wait so long for a replacement. Do you know if Tesla is going to replace your MCU1 with an MCU2 or a refurbed MCU1? I hope you get lucky. Would be happy for you to take my MCU1 after my upgrade is completed.

• Funny
Reactions: azred
The ability to stream those FM stations has been in Tesla cars for years. It's the little-used TuneIn app in Tesla's Music section. The easiest way to use it is to create an account on your computer, find all the local stations you'd ever listen to, and mark them as favorites. Then sign in to that account on your Tesla's built-in TuneIn app, and the icons for all those favorites are displayed. In my area and for my preferences, TuneIn has replaced my FM tuner perfectly seamlessly.

Somewhat off topic but I've used TuneIn for years - way before I got my Tesla and of course I use it in my Tesla with my existing account, synced favorites, etc... but to insinuate that you can find all of your radio stations in TuneIn is very misleading and incorrect.

There are many radio stations (big ones) across the country that are exclusive properties of companies like iHeartMedia that will never be available in TuneIn.

\... but to insinuate that you can find all of your radio stations in TuneIn is very misleading and incorrect.

There are many radio stations (big ones) across the country that are exclusive properties of companies like iHeartMedia that will never be available in TuneIn.

I have to step up and defend @milleron here. Its okay for him to insinuate. He could also go so far as to say you can "probably" find all your stations. He was not guaranteeing to find even one favorite. It was a simply suggestion that Tune In will likely solve the missing radio issue. If it doesn't solve yours, you can "probably" use your smartphone and BT it to you car.

Somewhat off topic but I've used TuneIn for years - way before I got my Tesla and of course I use it in my Tesla with my existing account, synced favorites, etc... but to insinuate that you can find all of your radio stations in TuneIn is very misleading and incorrect.

See, that's been a frustration point for me. When Tesla first rolled out the TuneIn integration, all iHeartMedia and Entercom stations were ON TuneIn. When iHeartMedia came out with iHeartRadio several years ago, they discontinued support for TuneIn. From there, I think it was a year and a half ago, Entercom moved their stations from TuneIn to Radio.com. Between the two, they own nearly 75% of the AM/FM radio market... so now we're left with the leftover stations on TuneIn. I've been calling on them to add support for iHeart and Radio.com for a while now. If we had those I'd drop the AM/FM radio and wouldn't look back.

See, that's been a frustration point for me. When Tesla first rolled out the TuneIn integration, all iHeartMedia and Entercom stations were ON TuneIn. When iHeartMedia came out with iHeartRadio several years ago, they discontinued support for TuneIn. From there, I think it was a year and a half ago, Entercom moved their stations from TuneIn to Radio.com. Between the two, they own nearly 75% of the AM/FM radio market... so now we're left with the leftover stations on TuneIn. I've been calling on them to add support for iHeart and Radio.com for a while now. If we had those I'd drop the AM/FM radio and wouldn't look back.
This is my case. All AM/FM stations I listen to are on either Radio.com or iHeartMedia, so TuneIn is relatively useless to me. I ended up buying the ProClipUSA air vent mount, and am quite happy with it's placement for playing music and radio replacements (while waiting for my MCU2 parts to ship).

TuneIn is missing AM/FM stations and the stations they do carry will blackout live sports broadcasts (when those resume).

XM provides national news stations not on TuneIn and with the All Access subscription you also get live sports for professional and major college teams.

Agree with Dreamontom99, until there is an option to upgrade the radio, we're passing on the Infotainment Upgrade for our 2017 S. The FSD Computer Upgrade (using MCU1) is scheduled next week.

Reactions: brkaus and croman
Considering that we are now getting side repeater camera feeds while the rear view camera is up, I wonder if this is going to be MCU dependant (like the rear view camera feed on DashCam and Sentry videos) or Autopilot computer version dependant (like DashCam and Sentry recordings to USB drives)?

EaxLEUfU4AAa3J4

Considering that we are now getting side repeater camera feeds while the rear view camera is up, I wonder if this is going to be MCU dependant (like the rear view camera feed on DashCam and Sentry videos) or Autopilot computer version dependant (like DashCam and Sentry recordings to USB drives)?

My guess is it will be AP computer dependent since the AP computer would have to feed the video to the MCU just like with Dashcam/Sentry.) So anybody with AP2.5, or newer, should be able to get this feature. But I suppose they could have a MCU2 dependency as well.

My guess is it will be AP computer dependent since the AP computer would have to feed the video to the MCU just like with Dashcam/Sentry.) So anybody with AP2.5, or newer, should be able to get this feature. But I suppose they could have a MCU2 dependency as well.

Also, the side repeater cams on the HW2.0 are RCCC, so there could be difference in color between the rear and side repeater for the originally HW2.0 vesicles which is fine but I hope they don't leave this out for MCU1 + HW3.0 vehicles.

Reactions: croman