Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On previous firmwares prior to 2019.32, Dashcam didn't use rear camera at all. Now it does. However, dashcam depends on MCU2 (for S/X) for processing the rear camera feed recording of Dashcam. All other dashcam cameras are still handled by APE 2.5/3. As such, if you are on hw2.5 with mcu1, your dashcam will not be able to record rear camera at all. Only mcu2 cars will get rear camera dashcam.

Where does this information come from that the MCU is doing the encoding of the rear channel for Sentry/Teslacam?

MCU 1 with Tegra 3 should be powerful enough to do HD video streaming, especially if it's not doing anything else while the vehicle is parked. If MCU 1/Tegra 3 vehicles aren't getting video streaming, it's probably more of a software resource issue than a technical constraint. The reality is that the number of vehicles with MCU 1 has been dwarfed by the number of vehicles (including the much higher volume Model 3) that have MCU 2.

With battery packs that should last 250-500K miles, Tesla should provide an option for an MCU2 upgrade, especially if they have decided to limit resources implementing features on MCU 1 vehicles.

MCU 1 with Tegra 3 should be powerful enough to do HD video streaming, especially if it's not doing anything else while the vehicle is parked. If MCU 1/Tegra 3 vehicles aren't getting video streaming, it's probably more of a software resource issue than a technical constraint. The reality is that the number of vehicles with MCU 1 has been dwarfed by the number of vehicles (including the much higher volume Model 3) that have MCU 2.

With battery packs that should last 250-500K miles, Tesla should provide an option for an MCU2 upgrade, especially if they have decided to limit resources implementing features on MCU 1 vehicles.
I thought all the video feature issues were mostly from the lack of the new browser. That may or may be from CPU resources but that’s what is missing.

Reactions: MTOman
Hence, we now have 3 levels of Dashcam

1) HW2.0 - none
2) HW2.5 w/ MCU1 - front, left, right
3) HW2.5 or 3.0 with MCU2 - front, left, right, rear
So...

0% Sentry - AP1
20% Sentry - AP2
80% Sentry - AP2.5
100% Sentry - AP3

...ish

So...

AP1 - 0% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2 - 20% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU1 - 100% Sentry, 80% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU2 - 100% Sentry, 100% Dashcam

...ish

Last edited:
So...

AP2+ w MCU1- 100% Sentry, 80% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU2 - 100% Sentry, 100% Dashcam

...ish

I think you are being generous with 20% sentry. It's basically a glorified car alarm. Which any car today has. The only benefit is, nobody knows if it's an AP2 - 3 car, so they don't know if there is or isn't a recording. Unless you look at the vin I guess.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I think you are being generous with 20% sentry. It's basically a glorified car alarm. Which any car today has. The only benefit is, nobody knows if it's an AP2 - 3 car, so they don't know if there is or isn't a recording. Unless you look at the vin I guess.

Smash and grab thieves aren't going to look up vins but yes it's mostly like ghetto places that have 10 inch thick plexiglass payment windows and fake cameras with LED lights to make you think you are being recorded.

Reactions: BigD0g
Look, yes it sucks, I'm one of the MS owners that don't get Theater mode. But hey - consider the plight of the person who bought a snazzy new, nose-refreshed Model S in September of 2016... stuck with AP1.

The difference is that Tesla couldn't feasibly add FSD features to AP1 hardware even if they wanted to. It's a fundamental hardware limitation. The features Tesla isn't releasing to MCU1, by contrast, appear to be solely because they can't be bothered to spend the engineering resources to do so.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
So...
AP2+ w MCU1 - 100% Sentry, 80% Dashcam [front, left, right]
AP2+ w MCU2 - 100% Sentry, 100% Dashcam [rear, front, left, right]
...ish
Confused by the 80% Dashcam. I thought 3 of the 4 cameras were being used on MCU1 (i.e no rear camera) so isn't that 75%? Perhaps you are talking about something else because the number of videos being saved.

The difference is that Tesla couldn't feasibly add FSD features to AP1 hardware even if they wanted to. It's a fundamental hardware limitation. The features Tesla isn't releasing to MCU1, by contrast, appear to be solely because they can't be bothered to spend the engineering resources to do so.

No worse than individuals demanding for the retrofit that clearly cant even maneuver parking lots. The MCU2 upgrade at this point is just vapor and hasn't been demonstrated to actually work. I am not sure why so many are disappointed they havent received the upgrade when it doesnt give you anything at this point and time. The objective Is to provide a FSD vehicle. This vehicle doesnt exactly exist.

We have the 8 year extended warranty, so I am told I will be covered for the failing MCU1 issues.
Our car was built in May, 2015 and I'm pretty sure it is a MCU1 with AP1, only time will tell
At this point, we have had -0- issues other than safety recalls.

I love this car!! With that said, I feel that what I have received, with the new v9.0 (32.2.2 da05838) update, has been a more stable AP.
My navigation is still sketchy at best, it routes me to places miles from what I had entered.
I now just pick a obscure point on the map until I can get close to where I wanted to go. (press a spot & hold)
Address entering will send you on wild goose chase.
My on screen fonts have artifacts that are hilarious to read and rebooting in any sequence doesn't help.
This has been the norm ever since the v9.0 (16.1.1 697c2ff) update.
Enough already! I don't want more games, just better screen rendering!

For all the hoopla on the technology side of my car, I am reduced to just a enhanced form of cruise control with v9.0 (32.2.2 da05838). ((Which still does not show the release notes)) and rebooting in any sequence doesn't help.

Where is the voice command I was told we would have?? ((if Alexia can do it, my Tesla should))
Where are the simple traffic blind spot alerts when changing lanes??
Where is the cross traffic alerts, when backing up, what is missing here?? Can I upgrade & get this feature??

As for v10, I'm not sure my system can handle anything it might bring. My poor car is struggling just to handle any of the Media things let alone the High Tech features it was designed to do.

Last edited:

Especially if you plan on keeping the car, which Tesla promoted.
No more trading a car to keep it current.
We have O/A firmware updates
I am willing to pay for the necessary equipment, & yes I know about the cameras, and draw the line on excessive retrofitting

• Informative
Reactions: Ludalicious
L
Where is the voice command I was told we would have?? ((if Alexia can do it, my Tesla should))
Where are the simple traffic blind spot alerts when changing lanes??
Where is the cross traffic alerts, when backing up, what is missing here?? Can I upgrade & get this feature??

As for v10, I'm not sure my system can handle anything it might bring. My poor car is struggling just to handle any of the Media things let alone the High Tech features it was designed to do.
I think blind spot alerts are only for AP2 and above (ones with B pillar and side signal cameras). However they are still useless than traditional BS alerts. No audible alerts at all (but have to take your eyes off the road and watch IC display for red flashing) and of course Tesla does not have rear view mirrors with embedded alerts so have to check IC display. No cross traffic alerts is another missing safety feature which you would expect in this price range. My 2015 hyundai has perfect alerts for both BSM and Cross traffic.

Reactions: BozieBeMe2