Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
L

I think blind spot alerts are only for AP2 and above (ones with B pillar and side signal cameras). However they are still useless than traditional BS alerts. No audible alerts at all (but have to take your eyes off the road and watch IC display for red flashing) and of course Tesla does not have rear view mirrors with embedded alerts so have to check IC display. No cross traffic alerts is another missing safety feature which you would expect in this price range. My 2015 hyundai has perfect alerts for both BSM and Cross traffic.
I hate to point this out, but,,,
Our 2018 Lincoln, (I know, I know ICE, but I have to drive it because of my employment)) has features that I'd dearly love on my tesla.
What with Ford chasing Tesla and bringing out their own EV's, this falling behind on Tesla's behalf is worrisome.
I tell all that will listen, Tesla will always have the better tech, better battery and motors, & the best charging systems in the World!!

I truly don't like to make excuses for my Tesla's short comings

So...

AP1 - 0% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2 - 20% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU1 - 100% Sentry, 80% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU2 - 100% Sentry, 100% Dashcam

...ish

...I thought 3 of the 4 cameras were being used on MCU1 (i.e no rear camera) so isn't that 75%?...

We'll no cams at all is 20%...

So...

AP1: 0% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2: 10% Sentry, 0% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU1: 100% Sentry, 75% Dashcam
AP2+ w MCU2: 100% Sentry, 100% Dashcam

Better? I mean no cameras for dashcam is 0% but the cameras set off the sentry alarm, they just don't record anything, so it seems like Tesla should get something for the effort that encourages them to keep trying. Think of it like potty training a puppy...

AP2+ w MCU2: Puppy has a doggy door and always goes outside by itself
AP2+ w MCU1: Puppy has a doggy door but won't go out in the winter
AP2: Puppy never figures out the doggy door, but if you go over and open the door it will go out by itself
AP1: Your puppy is actually a cat
pre AP: Your puppy is a stuffed animal, although you still love it.

Last edited:
No worse than individuals demanding for the retrofit that clearly cant even maneuver parking lots. The MCU2 upgrade at this point is just vapor and hasn't been demonstrated to actually work. I am not sure why so many are disappointed they havent received the upgrade when it doesnt give you anything at this point and time. The objective Is to provide a FSD vehicle. This vehicle doesnt exactly exist.

You mean the AP3 upgrade?

Here's a hypothetical question:

If enough people wanted MCU2, to the point of funding the entire personnel and logistics to do it, would Tesla do it?

I wonder what the delta is between actual cost and market willingness to pay to reach the equilibrium.

Though I believe behind closed doors, Tesla likely decided that MCU1/AP2 owners were too small a number to care about in the grand scheme of things and can f off.

Here's a hypothetical question:

If enough people wanted MCU2, to the point of funding the entire personnel and logistics to do it, would Tesla do it?

I wonder what the delta is between actual cost and market willingness to pay to reach the equilibrium.

Though I believe behind closed doors, Tesla likely decided that MCU1/AP2 owners were too small a number to care about in the grand scheme of things and can f off.

Too small? Arent majority of cars still MCU1

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Too small? Arent majority of cars still MCU1

S and X, yes. 3, no.

In terms of units on the road, 3/Y will dominate in short time if they haven’t already.

Tesla can sweep MCU1 S/X owners under the rug. The 3 audience is too numerous to change up on. You will notice that there is no significant difference between a July 2017 Model 3 and a Oct 2019 Model 3.

This is intentional because the Prius and 3 series converts are going to go ape *sugar* if their neighbors Model 3 is functionally better than theirs.

You hear nothing now from people who missed out on AP2 cars and got AP1 before the changeover.

Imagine if Tesla said here’s MCU3, Only new Tesla’s get them. Rest is locked out.

Every Tesla bought within 7 days is getting returned, Elon Twitter is going to brigaded, etc.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Given the new restriction that you can't repurchase the same trim level for 12 months after return I don't think they would all get returned.

Not only that, but like 10% of Tesla owners are even aware there are different versions of the MCU in the first place. The world just doesn’t care enough. Certainly not enough to return a car over it. Gross exaggeration.

Given the new restriction that you can't repurchase the same trim level for 12 months after return I don't think they would all get returned.

I believe Tesla kills the return policy before a substantial change like this is enacted.

It won’t help Tesla If someone gets a P but downgrades to SR. People will do this to get hardware upgrades if necessary.

Either upgrade only or a return fee might work.

I just know it will be messy. Even people with no intention of getting FSD were wanting to do returns to get HW3. This is all perceived differences.

An actual MCU3 or some other visible change would cause chaos.

Not only that, but like 10% of Tesla owners are even aware there are different versions of the MCU in the first place. The world just doesn’t care enough. Certainly not enough to return a car over it. Gross exaggeration.

Sorry but you pulled that 10 percent number out of your ass.

Remember the 5K Model 3 Performance price drop debacle? That kicked Elon off Twitter a few days.

10 percent might be on TMC but much more are on FB. I will bet anything we will see “Open letter to Elon for MCU3” retrofits the second it takes it to write up on TMC.

Oh I know the return policy is 7 days but for good will, Tesla should extend it to 20 days!

Signed,
Owner of a 15 day old MCU2 Model 3.

The population size is too big. Orders will get cancelled and cars will get returned. If I seen this on a smaller scale, no reason to believe it won’t happen on a greater scale.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: croman and ucmndd
Sorry but you pulled that 10 percent number out of your ass.
Agreed. I was being generous - it’s probably like 5%.
Remember the 5K Model 3 Performance price drop debacle? That kicked Elon off Twitter a few days.
5 large is a real, tangible thing to people. They understand what it is. A “new computer” that looks just like the old one, does all of the same stuff at release, and doesn’t hit any mainstream media sources as today’s TeslaDrama(tm)? Please. If you think “every Tesla” bought in the last 7 days is being returned because Electrek got word of a revised MCU and posted an article, you have one of the most serious cases of Auto Forum Derangement Syndrome I’ve seen in years.

People don’t care. Even most of the ones that might care won’t actually find out about it until 6 months later when they come here and register an account to ask why they just got version eleventeen but don’t have Goat Mode like everyone else.

It’s a non issue outside the walls of our little rubber room we’ve got going here for fanatics.

The AP3 processor upgrade is real - Tesla has started installing the faster AP processor in AP2 vehicles that have FSD purchased.

NOAP and Smart Summon (with V10) are first steps towards providing self driving in limited conditions, for now, under driver control. We should expect these features will be rough to begin with and improve over time as Tesla applies fleet learning and software improvements to the software.

The MCU2 upgrade is different - this impacts the software running on the console, with an increasing number of features being implemented only for the newer MCU2 processor. For a resource standpoint, it's understandable Tesla would prioritize resources on developing software only for MCU2 - and not expend a lot of resources for adding new functionality to MCU1 (which is an increasingly smaller percentage of Tesla's sold vehicles).

5 large is a real, tangible thing to people. They understand what it is. A “new computer” that looks just like the old one, does all of the same stuff at release, and doesn’t hit any mainstream media sources as today’s TeslaDrama(tm)? Please. If you think “every Tesla” bought in the last 7 days is being returned because Electrek got word of a revised MCU and posted an article, you have one of the most serious cases of Auto Forum Derangement Syndrome I’ve seen in years.

People don’t care. Even most of the ones that might care won’t actually find out about it until 6 months later when they come here and register an account to ask why they just got version eleventeen but don’t have Goat Mode like everyone else.

It’s a non issue outside the walls of our little rubber room we’ve got going here for fanatics.

This is not really up to us. Tesla has to contend with an entire planet of large enterprises pushing nonsense like this.

"Don't buy a tesla! It will be obsolete in 3 months! You won't believe what happened next!"

To some extent this is inevitable. To some extent, though, it is actually avoidable. I will make a wild-assed guess that adding a requirement that the newest spin of the MCU board be plug compatible with the new or old S platform would add some several tens or hundred thousands to the development cost and $0.10 to $0.50ish to the per-unit cost. Not nothing but also not actually an enormous amount of money. I'm not sure what the business processes and costs are for collecting, refurbishing and re certifying the MCU1s is, but that is also going to be a non-trivial cost, though that may just be lumped into the same part of the building where they rebuild "legacy" battery sleds.

My biggest concern with owning an older S is actually that tesla will just completely abandon support for the car entirely in that they won't offer weather striping/rubber, chrome trim, interior trim, etc; stuff that breaks at a low but non-zero rate but that is essential to making a vehicle a car not a beater. Running a global auto maker with a deep parts warehouse is a learned skill that they haven't had to.

Tesla doesn’t help when they send out announcements like this in the app. None of my Teslas have MCU2.
692FD13F-1BB9-4B4F-837C-B6DFF94AE5E1.jpeg