Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that you lose AM and FM radio. Without the full self driving computer I don't really see anything there worth $2500. I think it is nice that you can upgrade but think I will pass unless I get full self driving and get the full self driving computer also. At that point may as well trade it in on a new one (Or new model 3/y) though and get the faster charging also...

Such goid news. Could care less about XM because my vehicle has never had it. But now we got dates attached and all. So glad i purchased FSD at a discounted price now. Because thats literally how much it was back in the day.
Screenshot_20200303-055858_Samsung Internet.jpg

To me it's clear, if you upgrade to AP3 and MC2 (whatever equipment you're coming from) the upgrades will get you teslacam and sentry mode. Read the FAQ: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

What will I get when I purchase the Full Self-Driving Capability?
You will get access to a suite of more advanced driver assistance features, designed to
provide more active guidance and automatic driving under your active supervision. Learn
more about the features included like Navigate on Autopilot, Smart Summon, Auto Lane
Change and Autopark. The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all
cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot
Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade.

Which is illegal. Core charge needs to be explicitly mentioned upfront.
They cannot go adding it in as a line item when the bill comes due.

I never said when the bill comes due, I said when you ask to keep the old part. (Which as far as I know most states require that you ask to keep the old parts before the repair starts.)

And do those laws apply to upgrades? Or are they strictly for repairs?

How about people who will pay for in the next few months? Cars most likely to have a failed MCU are last on the upgrade eligibility list. When your MCU is dead, most cannot afford to be patient waiting for new MCU (not everyone is like Elon, have plenty of other cars to drive while his car is awaiting service for weeks or even months).

PS> I know they say April, but that is the start date, which could mean your car is not eligible until next year, like when they had ludicrous upgrade or even the UV treatment for yellow screens - Tesla wait queues can be very long.

True enough. I'll add that there isn't even a proposed date for those like myself outside of America. My eMMC has been upgraded though, so I am good.

A few thoughts.
March 6 2018 so I feel the pain too, heard about MCU-2 three days before I took delivery. I'll bite the bullet and upgrade.

I'm guessing you could upgrade to the digital tuner if you really wanted although it is a royal PIA. May have to root the system to get it to work though.

So the real question is has anyone with MCU1/FSD received an invite yet? Does it come via email or show up in the App?

To me it's clear, if you upgrade to AP3 and MC2 (whatever equipment you're coming from) the upgrades will get you teslacam and sentry mode. Read the FAQ: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

What will I get when I purchase the Full Self-Driving Capability?
You will get access to a suite of more advanced driver assistance features, designed to
provide more active guidance and automatic driving under your active supervision. Learn
more about the features included like Navigate on Autopilot, Smart Summon, Auto Lane
Change and Autopark. The FSD Computer upgrade does enable recording from all
cameras with Sentry Mode and DashCam for vehicles previously equipped with Autopilot
Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and paired with the Infotainment Upgrade.

Thanks for finding this. It makes it a useless upgrade to me, and makes me wonder what functionality will happen when the retrofit of the AP3 computer happens. Certainly, it'll be of limited functionality. I'll definitely consider NOT purchasing FSD on the next car until it actually functions fully.

Thanks for finding this. It makes it a useless upgrade to me, and makes me wonder what functionality will happen when the retrofit of the AP3 computer happens. Certainly, it'll be of limited functionality. I'll definitely consider NOT purchasing FSD on the next car until it actually functions fully.

I would agree with you but they moved navigate on AutoPilot to full self driving now. If you take long road trips full self driving may be worth it just for this. I find this MCU upgrade hard to justify though if you don't have full self driving as it seems the useful updates require the HW3 self driving computer also. To get both for my car is $6500 hard to justify that expense when it may be better to put that money towards a new one...

Without the FM/XM tuner, this upgrade is a big NO for us - since we listen to FM/XM in our S and X almost all of the time, particularly live local & national sports and news. Tesla could close the gap by adding a Sirius XM built-in streaming app. Radio.com isn't a replacement, especially for sporting events that have are restricted in broadcasting live sports (college/professional).

As pointed out above, our 2017 S appears to be worth around $60K for a trade-in. A new fully loaded S LR+ (without a sunroof) lists for $90K. If Tesla transferred our FSD over to the new vehicle, that would reduce the purchase price to $84K. Rather than spending $2500 to upgrade to an MCU2 and lose radio, we could spend $24K for a brand new S - with 55 miles longer range, and all of the newer dashboard and AP hardware. And because Tesla won't have to spend money on upgrading our 3 year old vehicle to the new processor, they should be able to give up some credit for that in the trade-in.

While it's great that they are offering the infotainment upgrade, unless they can provide access to the FM (HD radio) local stations and XM satellite stations [which both work even when internet isn't available or is too slow for audio streaming], this is a downgrade...