Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I was there as well but my MCU died and my local service center seems to have stepped up and helped me by ordering my car's kit. It definitely has my car's VIN and they definitely know it's a HW2 MCU1 (I'm certain I'm getting MCU2 but they actually said something about Hw3 later which is confusing me a bit). Part is apparently MCU2 and HW3 kit for Ap2.5 but they also use a backup camera splitter for HW2. That's all to make it work with HW2.

Just wondering, which service center in the Chicago area? I asked Highland Park about this a few weeks ago and they said they could not get parts to do it. But then the very nice person who appeared to be in charge told me his hours were being cut from 40 to 32 hours a week. It would be nice if Tesla would take advantage of the lack of other work to get the upgrades done.

Is there a place on Tesla.com or another website where you can verify whether your car has things like MCU1, HW2, AP2 and other features?
I have a December 2017 MS 75D and I've paid for FSD, but I've heard nothing from SC about when to expect upgrades.

You can check it through the car itself. It's in the settings on the main screen, there is an option to see the hardware that you have.

Reactions: jay35 and Gt1948
Just wondering, which service center in the Chicago area? I asked Highland Park about this a few weeks ago and they said they could not get parts to do it. But then the very nice person who appeared to be in charge told me his hours were being cut from 40 to 32 hours a week. It would be nice if Tesla would take advantage of the lack of other work to get the upgrades done.

Definitely is highland Park. I tried a couple times before too and was told that my car didn't qualify yet. I was even told that just before they finally agreed but only after the part came in.

I expect HW2 to actually begin in force in May based on what I was told before they agreed to accelerate my case due to failed MCU.

Is there a place on Tesla.com or another website where you can verify whether your car has things like MCU1, HW2, AP2 and other features?
I have a December 2017 MS 75D and I've paid for FSD, but I've heard nothing from SC about when to expect upgrades.

"With the 2020.4.1 software update, Tesla has included a new “Additional Vehicle Information” screen, visible from the software menu on all Teslas. This includes a little snapshot of some of this previously hidden or hard-to-find information."
What Autopilot Hardware does your car have? It’s easy to tell now. | Current Automotive

Thanks for the plug @kdday. I didn't make it. I got the prototype to test. We still need to confirm via the SC activating my radio to insure it works. (That's another story). As a matter of fact while preparing the first one, Teslatap depended on your photo of how to wire it. We/he hopes he's right.

It won't be available for sale, (if then), until we are sure it works. And I know, he's not making any money from selling them considering the effort and material. He's just working to help the community.

Without camera you simply will not get the dashcam or Sentry features. But will get other features and benefits.

Lifted from Tesla page:
Owners of Model S and Model X built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an Infotainment Upgrade, enabling access to some of our favorite features like video streaming and an expanded Tesla Arcade, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen experience.

Sorry for my soapbox moment but I can no longer help it. I am one of the MCU1, AP2.0 folks. I fully intend to buy the Infotainment upgrade when my email arrives. Yes, I am discouraged that we slipped from March to April to May (so far). Yes I am frustrated that Tesla's banked my FSD money for 2+ years and recent owners are getting upgraded first. But it has become too much for me to read the complaints online about the slipping dates.Given there are thousands of furloughed Telsa employees, you can be sure that many would be happy to collect a pay check again to upgrade someone's vehicle, build the wiring harness, or ship the parts. I also talked to a remote technician who spends a vast amount of time reading through "service request" appointments for 2.0 folks, researching it, then canceling the appointments in the kindest way possible. Worst part of his day.

I offer this to those in my early adopter situation to ease the pain. Lets let the AP3.0 folks spend some time getting whiplash and coffee spills while their vehicles are stopping at green lights! When we get our upgrades, many of the kinks will be worked out and our spouses/kids won't be the ones who were car sick :).

Cheers all, and stay safe.

When we get our upgrades, many of the kinks will be worked out and our spouses/kids won't be the ones who were car sick :).

I’m in the same situation you are. If it takes another 6 months to get my MCU2/HW3 upgrade then so be it. I fully expected I’d have to buy a new Tesla to get the good stuff. So $2500 and a few months of waiting is a deal. And maybe by then they’ll figure out a way I can buy a digital FM tuner upgrade to go with it.

Sorry for my soapbox moment but I can no longer help it. I am one of the MCU1, AP2.0 folks. I fully intend to buy the Infotainment upgrade when my email arrives. Yes, I am discouraged that we slipped from March to April to May (so far). Yes I am frustrated that Tesla's banked my FSD money for 2+ years and recent owners are getting upgraded first. But it has become too much for me to read the complaints online about the slipping dates.Given there are thousands of furloughed Telsa employees, you can be sure that many would be happy to collect a pay check again to upgrade someone's vehicle, build the wiring harness, or ship the parts. I also talked to a remote technician who spends a vast amount of time reading through "service request" appointments for 2.0 folks, researching it, then canceling the appointments in the kindest way possible. Worst part of his day.

I offer this to those in my early adopter situation to ease the pain. Lets let the AP3.0 folks spend some time getting whiplash and coffee spills while their vehicles are stopping at green lights! When we get our upgrades, many of the kinks will be worked out and our spouses/kids won't be the ones who were car sick :).

Cheers all, and stay safe.
And if Tesla were to simply adjust expectations and tell us this wouldn't be available until September (or some time far away in the future), then people wouldn't be wasting the technician's time with these requests.

And if Tesla were to simply adjust expectations and tell us this wouldn't be available until September (or some time far away in the future), then people wouldn't be wasting the technician's time with these requests.

Well Tesla did say to wait until you received an invitation to submit your upgrade request...