Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are absolutely massive ships but, I hate to say it, I don't think we are going to see electric ones anytime soon. However TT-Line are awesome supporters of EVs, they sponsored the AEVA Conference in 2017 when it was in Devonport. They are very supportive and forward thinking. I can't wait for their two new ships, currently being custom designed and built for them at the moment to go into service in 2021 :)
Submarines are electric.

[QUOTE="ShockOnT, post: 3170260, member: in the US you are subsidised for going EV, whereas here you are actively penalised by an out-of-date tax.[/QUOTE]

I would rather a tax that discourages/ penalises the purchase of fuel inefficient or higher emission vehicles, rather than one that is based on the logic of “if you can afford to buy a Ferrari you can afford to paymore tax”.

NSW model 3 calculator
I've posted my spreadsheet for NSW pricing a few times but it's still relevant: Using reasonable assumptions based on Model S/X price book, the minimum spec available for order now (mid range, no extras at 0.71 AUD/USD) attracts about $100 of LCT.
OK here's my pricing calculator. I've mapped current USD pricing for all Model S and X to current Australian pricing including GST, LCT and NSW stamp duty. The result is very close to a perfect line, so put a trendline through it to create the formula. But the model needs to have a breakpoint, because below AUD 75.5k LCT doesn't apply. So a different formula applies below that figure.

This model produces the following results for Model 3 AUD pricing (including GST, LCT and NSW stamp duty):

Model 3 SR = USD 35,000 -> AUD 58,205 (LCT = $0, SD = $2010)
Model 3 MR = USD 46,000 -> AUD 75,288 (LCT = $0, SD = $2864)
Model 3 LRD = USD 53,000 -> AUD 91,222 (LCT = $2818, SD = $3487)
Model 3 LRPD = USD 64,000 -> AUD 113,374 (LCT = $7686, SD = $4542)

So Model 3 MR does not incur LCT - but only just.

Model3.png

So Model 3 MR does not incur LCT - but only just.

View attachment 349111
So if I want to stay below the LCT threshold, realistically I have to go with the SR model, as most of us would want to add a few options, or get a barebone MR.
Tesla really ought to include a white paint as standard. I can’t think of any other manufacturer who charges extra for refrigerator white.

Right from the beginning I felt that tesla should market the cars in modular fashion. That is, fit the battery in Australia and possibly expensive wheels or other easily added hardware, like perhaps the second motor. With separate invoicing, the cars would come in well below the LCT threshold.
It might take some creativity in the ordering process to achieve this as “seperate” orders, but in the early days it worked to a point with some of the options back then only being activated after the event. The additional cost was offset.
I actually wrote to George Blankenship about this at the time but got no response.
I mean, they do something like this in Europe with finalnassembly over there for probably the same reason, so why not here? The service centres could handle it since the market is much smaller.

Reactions: alexeiw123
So if I want to stay below the LCT threshold, realistically I have to go with the SR model, as most of us would want to add a few options, or get a barebone MR.
Why do you have such an obsession with “staying below the LCT threshold”?

Let’s say you buy MR with $5k of options. Based on my model, the LCT would be $569, or 0.7% of the total purchase price of $81,000. Are you saying that you would refuse to purchase the options, even if you wanted them, purely because you’d end up paying some LCT?

Reactions: Jays200
That was definitely part of the original justification for the tax but of course once government have a an income stream they are very reluctant to give it up unless there are a lot of votes in it for them. I know there was some talk a while ago that the Europeans wanted the government to phase out LCT as part of the free trade discussions as it obviously has a much bigger impact on the European manufacturers than Asian ones but I have no idea whether that is still on the table??

well of course it is all political. The government never did themselves any favours. With all its raw materials Australia could have become the Germany of the new world by using it's own mining industry to propel a big manufacturing industry. However, they figured that it was much more efficient to ship their rocks to china and not bother with the investment to create it's own industry.

That’s my understanding too. They could get rid of it now, but it’s a bit like the harbour bridge toll. Hard to say no to free money.

As for adding LCT on other luxury items, that is the point of the GST. It automatically scales up as the price goes up, and price is the main measure of luxury, so I think it’s the best way to progressively tax the rich.

I met an American Tesla owner by chance the other day, and we had a wry laugh at the fact that in the US you are subsidised for going EV, whereas here you are actively penalised by an out-of-date tax.

yeah well they are not gonna give up any revenue now. And afaik research has shown that luxury tax made no difference in penalized vehicles being sold. So it is just free money. It wouldnt even annoy me that much if they'd also charge luxury tax on other traditional luxury items i.e. chocolate, cigarettes, oils... It's selectively dissing the car sector.

And afaik research has shown that luxury tax made no difference in penalized vehicles being sold. So it is just free money

Not sure about research, but history seems to suggest otherwise. Didn’t Paul Keating raise the then Wholesale sales tax for luxury cars, only to reverse the change a couple of years later because it resulted in a significant decline in the sales of luxury cars?

Not sure about research, but history seems to suggest otherwise. Didn’t Paul Keating raise the then Wholesale sales tax for luxury cars, only to reverse the change a couple of years later because it resulted in a significant decline in the sales of luxury cars?

I think there was an article in the news a while ago which stated that australia is thinking about abolishing the Luxury vehicle tax as it was meant to deter people from buying foreign cars and it did not significantly affect luxury cars being sold/not being sold in Australia. Not that it matters now anyways, I think Australia doesn't even build cars anymore.

Your are welcome to prove me wrong here - Iam just going after hearsay.

I’ve digressed.

Model 3 SR = USD 35,000 -> AUD 58,205 (LCT = $0, SD = $2010)
Model 3 MR = USD 46,000 -> AUD 75,288 (LCT = $0, SD = $2864)
Model 3 LRD = USD 53,000 -> AUD 91,222 (LCT = $2818, SD = $3487)
Model 3 LRPD = USD 64,000 -> AUD 113,374 (LCT = $7686, SD = $4542)

Going with this, which model is the best buy? I would probably go with the SR or the MR. I don’t need the longer range, and don’t really care about AWD, it will be a family car, so doesn’t need to be that fast. I just want a good and practical EV.

Last edited:
I’ve digressed.

Going with this, which model is the best buy? I would probably go with the SR or the MR. I don’t need the longer range, and don’t really care about AWD, it will be a family car, so doesn’t need to be that fast. I just want a good and practical EV.
This being Australia, I'm convinced I need the LR. I've driven both the D (performance) and the single motor thousands of miles and hope that the LR single motor version makes it here as it would make a suitable replacement for my Model S 85.

Reactions: baillies
This being Australia, I'm convinced I need the LR. I've driven both the D (performance) and the single motor thousands of miles and hope that the LR single motor version makes it here as it would make a suitable replacement for my Model S 85.
Tesla very recently discontinued LR RWD. LR now gives you no option but to take AWD, which is a bit of a shame because not only is it $5k more expensive, reports from the US suggest the AWD is actually less efficient and has slightly less range than the RWD - which is different to the experience of S and X. Apparently the reason is the spec of the motors they use in the Model 3 AWD version.

While Tesla quotes the same range for RWD and AWD (when both were briefly offered LR) of 500km (310 mi), people reported getting a decent amount more range out of RWD, while AWD met spec. In other words Tesla was under-selling the specs of LR RWD, presumably to keep it under S and X.

Tesla might uncouple LR / AWD by the time Model 3 gets here. Or they might not. They have made significant changes to the Model 3 configurations and packages about 5 or 6 times this year alone, so who knows.

I will be getting Model 3 LR, in the most “economical” configuration available when it comes time to order. I definitely do not need, and will not pay, for Performance.