Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of accessories, I have read screen protectors and centre console wrap are good additions, but any other accessories you are all planning for your m3's?
I read the stock globes in the boot etc are really dim so it is recommended buying after market ones. Does the m3 come with floor mats?
Anything else of intetest?
From what I've seen on YouTube, the SR+ doesn't come with mats but the Performance does. I've ordered the wireless phone chargers, interior LED replacements (original lighting looks far too dim), wheel centre caps and wheel nut caps for when I want to remove the aero covers and centre console organiser.
Yes KRMS, all of those although I'm going to see the lighting for myself before considering an upgrade.
For me, an essential is labels for the interior door buttons, apparently it's common for passengers to pull the manual release, risking damage to the unlowered window, rather than pressing the unmarked door button.

Attachments

• 20190620_090043.jpg
    20190620_090043.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 72
Group buy on Tesla MOdel 3 wheel cap kits! :) A fiend and I have both ordered the SR+ with aero wheels and you can’t buy the wheel cap and lug kits here unless you go through ebay and get them shipped or drop ship them. I’ll take two of the $50US wheel caps kits if you can buy em and lug them halfway around the world haha.

Update on this from a few days ago when I was looking at buying some Aero wheel kits and other accessories whilst I am in California on holiday at the moment...
I’ve now been into two Tesla Service Centres here (Las Vegas and Palm Springs) and both said that they don’t keep any accessories in stock as you have to order them online (shop.tesla.com). I explained that this is US only as we don’t have an online accessories store in Australia and I was looking to pick some up whilst I was in the US. Both stores were nice enough, but ultimately couldn’t help. I have left a couple of messages with the Fremont factory store to see if I have better luck there (on Friday), but they haven’t returned my calls, so not looking hopeful. I’m travelling, so don’t have a US address I could get them shipped to.
Looks like we’ll just have to take our luck with the Aus service centres receiving sufficient accessories when the Model 3 starts delivering in Australia.
Worth noting that even the US store is frequently out of stock of some accessories. Even things like trunk and carpet mats. These are surely made by a third party, so it’s pretty poor that Tesla can’t ensure that there is enough of them to meet demand.
I’ll post an update if the Fremont store calls me back, but otherwise looks like I won’t be stuffing my suitcase with Aero wheel kits :(

UK has been using a 2000 capacity RoRo ship. Europe 4000 RoRo.
Containers hold 3 car in each. The 2000 RORo seems plausible imo. Uk first sip were mostly premium first.
Not sure where you get the UK info from there, the Tesla Carriers site doesn’t list any UK-specific ships, and there have been a lot less than 2000 car deliveries to the UK so far. Most Europe-bound RoRo ships are 5,500+ capacity too.
Much more likely imho that Tesla will just book space on a vehicle carrier ship (RoRo), there is no need to charter an entire vessel as these will make a series of stops to load/unload as required. I’ve spent quite a bit of time at the Port of Melbourne and seen plenty of these vehicle carriers offloading at Webb Dock with a mix of makes and models, including some one-off imports that they seem happy to carry.
I can’t see any way in which model 3s will be shipped here in containers.

High capacity RoRo for Aus / NZ could stop in Japan first too. I would expect Tesla to start significant RHD Model 3 production after the Independence Day holiday, which is to say, this weekend.
That reminds me. On Independence day 2017 my wife and I hired a 2013 model S performance through Turo and drove from San Francisco to a camp ground cabin at Mather, near Yosemite national park. A couple of days walking there, another 4 days touring around northern California, and back to San Francisco. Fabulous trip, fabulous car and now having a minor stand off with Tesla, awaiting the availability of the M3 LR RWD with white interior.

Reactions: Momentum1 and Miggy
Yes KRMS, all of those although I'm going to see the lighting for myself before considering an upgrade.
For me, an essential is labels for the interior door buttons, apparently it's common for passengers to pull the manual release, risking damage to the unlowered window, rather than pressing the unmarked door button.
I ordered those too, was a bit embarrassed to list out all the accessories I've ordered (i.e. aluminium pedals, door sill protector film, etc). ;)

Update on this from a few days ago when I was looking at buying some Aero wheel kits and other accessories whilst I am in California on holiday at the moment...
I’ve now been into two Tesla Service Centres here (Las Vegas and Palm Springs) and both said that they don’t keep any accessories in stock as you have to order them online (shop.tesla.com). I explained that this is US only as we don’t have an online accessories store in Australia and I was looking to pick some up whilst I was in the US. Both stores were nice enough, but ultimately couldn’t help. I have left a couple of messages with the Fremont factory store to see if I have better luck there (on Friday), but they haven’t returned my calls, so not looking hopeful. I’m travelling, so don’t have a US address I could get them shipped to.
Looks like we’ll just have to take our luck with the Aus service centres receiving sufficient accessories when the Model 3 starts delivering in Australia.
Worth noting that even the US store is frequently out of stock of some accessories. Even things like trunk and carpet mats. These are surely made by a third party, so it’s pretty poor that Tesla can’t ensure that there is enough of them to meet demand.
I’ll post an update if the Fremont store calls me back, but otherwise looks like I won’t be stuffing my suitcase with Aero wheel kits :(

Yep I’ve followed Tesla’s online store for a couple of years now and their stock situation is abysmal. More than 50% of items are virtually eternally “out of stock” and to be honest seem to never actually be replenished. Have a look at their apparel etc Those marked out of stock have been like that for over 12mths.

I’m not surprised though. If they can’t get their car parts inventory in order and people wait months In The body shop, what chance do wheel caps and Tesla hats have of being in stock?

Not sure where you get the UK info from there, the Tesla Carriers site doesn’t list any UK-specific ships, and there have been a lot less than 2000 car deliveries to the UK so far. Most Europe-bound RoRo ships are 5,500+ capacity too.
Much more likely imho that Tesla will just book space on a vehicle carrier ship (RoRo), there is no need to charter an entire vessel as these will make a series of stops to load/unload as required. I’ve spent quite a bit of time at the Port of Melbourne and seen plenty of these vehicle carriers offloading at Webb Dock with a mix of makes and models, including some one-off imports that they seem happy to carry.
I can’t see any way in which model 3s will be shipped here in containers.

I wouldn't think any of those existing RoRo ships would be coming from the US, though.

This may be info already know, but the situation in the UK is that there are only maybe 200 RHD Model 3s actually on the roads right now and everyone else who had been promised "June" or "early July" delivery are now being told "End July or early August".

We can't see any evidence of RHD cars in transit on the ocean.

To me, this seems to back up the theory that Tesla produced a small batch of RHD cars, mainly with white interiors and AWD and shipped those before Q2 end 'hell' so they can say deliveries to the UK had started and get some press attention. A lot of the deliveries in the UK have been P3D with white interior. The remainder of that batch could be at Pier 80 now ready to be loaded.

Now they have got Q2 out of the way with all the last minute U.S. production and deliveries, it seems quite possible they will now produce a much larger batch of RHD cars of all specifications. If they could build 5000 this week and get them on 1 or 2 ships dedicated to the UK then that would actually give us plenty to be going on with as the actual PDI/delivery process within our little island would become the bottleneck.

So it makes sense that the next big batch of RHD after ours would be yours + NZ.

As always, facts are very hard to come by. All we get in the UK now are cut and paste emails telling us how sorry they are for the lack of communication and how much we'll love our Model 3 once it is delivered.

It's now 1190 days since I reserved my Model 3.

The software was updated last year so using the emergency release now also lowers the window.

Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter

Looks like a total of ~2500 RHD VINs have been registered.
That's a bit more than that. In May we were up to 1300 RHD registered, now they say 1500 more plus another 400 so that would bring total up to ~3200 RHD registered total. I suspect at least some in there would be coming to AUS though most probably will go to UK.

That's a bit more than that. In May we were up to 1300 RHD registered, now they say 1500 more plus another 400 so that would bring total up to ~3200 RHD registered total. I suspect at least some in there would be coming to AUS though most probably will go to UK.
Ah yes, I forgot about the extra batches. Fingers crossed some of these come through for us!