Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the installation of solar my power bills have been about $100 per quarter or $400 per year.(that is basically the connection fee) This will go up a little once the car arrives, but for a PowerWall to actually pay for itself, would still take too long. Over the last 2 years I have had only 2-3 power outages each lasting less than an hour, for those situations having V2G option would be perfect.
There are fundamentally two economic drivers in the PW2 business case:
  1. Increase in solar self-consumption (pay 0c/kWh instead of exporting excess solar and then buying it back later from the grid at a higher price than what they paid you for the export)
  2. Price arbitrage by time shifting grid demand, i.e. shift peak consumption that would cost 45c/kWh (or whatever) to offpeak that costs only 12c, by drawing down on the battery in the evening.
In my case so far, grid consumption is down 80%, and only 5% of that has been at peak rates. That saves a LOT of money. It’s not possible to do that without a battery. Whether it’s enough to justify the cost, time will tell.

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy
There are fundamentally two economic drivers in the PW2 business case:
  1. Increase in solar self-consumption (pay 0c/kWh instead of exporting excess solar and then buying it back later from the grid at a higher price than what they paid you for the export)
  2. Price arbitrage by time shifting grid demand, i.e. shift peak consumption that would cost 45c/kWh (or whatever) to offpeak that costs only 12c, by drawing down on the battery in the evening.
In my case so far, grid consumption is down 80%, and only 5% of that has been at peak rates. That saves a LOT of money. It’s not possible to do that without a battery. Whether it’s enough to justify the cost, time will tell.
Even if I got my cost from current $400 per year to $0, with Powerwall costing $11,700, it would take 29 years to break even. I consider that a little too long.
EDIT: and that is without installation cost.

upload_2019-9-2_16-23-26.png

~1500NZD is about what I'm expecting. Do you need a type B RCD in Aus? I'm guessing not based on $500 to install the HPWC. That's about $600 just for the part.

yeah wall charger is free. I'm an electrical Engineer with contacts in the industry, so even after I installed a higher rated cable it still only came out to $500. Obviously if I had to buy the HWPC it would have been significantly more than the $500

So for us on a single phase power, would something like this be the way to go:
Product Detail - Clipsal by Schneider Electric
Or is there some other specific EV breaker/RCD combo that we would need that would cost $500?

I paid less than $100 for the more expensive slimline version. Trade price is always MUCH cheaper than what you see there.

Unfortunately I now suspect my SR+ delivery will probably not come before my trade in's rego is due. Starting to feel a bit spiteful after a lot of patience and understanding - must be all the posts on facebook about non res orders being picked up while I haven't heard a peep. Might drive the trade in to Richmond on the last day of rego and leave it there, consider it priority delivery of my vehicle to Tesla given they have had a reservation in for it since August.

Reactions: Shrike_AU
Figured I should finally stop stalking and actually post some details on my set of wheels.

Reserved Feb 2019
Ordered 4th June.
Changed from Red to White paint 18th July.
Call from Melb delivery to confirm finance 26th August.
Delivery organised on the 29th August - Set for 19th September in Adelaide (Delivery)

SR+ Pearl White, no FSD.
VIN - 4431xx

Figured I should finally stop stalking and actually post some details on my set of wheels.

Reserved Feb 2019
Ordered 4th June.
Changed from Red to White paint 18th July.
Call from Melb delivery to confirm finance 26th August.
Delivery organised on the 29th August - Set for 19th September in Adelaide (Delivery)

SR+ Pearl White, no FSD.
VIN - 4431xx

It is a little hard to see the method underlying Tesla's queuing algorithm.
I reserved Jan 2019, ordered 31 May (P3-), modified 1 June (colour change Red->Blue), cash. Have not heard a peep. But - I do have a VIN 4883XX indicating Warrnambool ~8Sept Sydney, so hopefully could see delivery in Sydney by two weeks after that - say 22nd September. Or maybe because it's an easy delivery, they'll push it to the last possible day in the quarter - Monday 30 September?

Reserved April 2016, ordered June 5, 2019. Midnight Silver SR+ FSD, no changes. Regional delivery to my driveway scheduled for Sep 9th.

Fun to try and reverse engineer their process but there are so many variables. I would’ve thought capital city pickups would be first and was expecting to get mine last like everything else around here. I’m not even in an express post zone.

In other news has anyone else who is fully paid notice this isn’t reflected on Tesla.com? I’m told the issue has been referred to the portal team.

Reserved April 2016, ordered June 5, 2019. Midnight Silver SR+ FSD, no changes. Regional delivery to my driveway scheduled for Sep 9th.

Fun to try and reverse engineer their process but there are so many variables. I would’ve thought capital city pickups would be first and was expecting to get mine last like everything else around here. I’m not even in an express post zone.

In other news has anyone else who is fully paid notice this isn’t reflected on Tesla.com? I’m told the issue has been referred to the portal team.

I wouldn't worry. Mine never ticked off the "paid" box, even after the car was delivered!

Reactions: MonicaPlease
From the NZ fb group
"I also just got a call too."
"I was never a reservation holder, and we did an order on the 18th of Aug."

I'm glad they are getting their car but WTAF?? I know I am not first in the queue either but WHAT THE F*** tesla at least pretend there is a queue?
A guy on FB posted that he got called to schedule a delivery for the exact same car and location (P3D+ blue, Sydney) as me, despite reserving and ordering later. I really dont think they care much about the queue

It is a little hard to see the method underlying Tesla's queuing algorithm.
I reserved Jan 2019, ordered 31 May (P3-), modified 1 June (colour change Red->Blue), cash. Have not heard a peep. But - I do have a VIN 4883XX indicating Warrnambool ~8Sept Sydney, so hopefully could see delivery in Sydney by two weeks after that - say 22nd September. Or maybe because it's an easy delivery, they'll push it to the last possible day in the quarter - Monday 30 September?

I guess I am classified as a "friend" of a Tesla employee so that may have given me bonus points? Otherwise I haven't done anything out of the ordinary other than periodically emailing them (every 2-3 weeks since the start of August)