Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only good news in all of this is that I was never going to go out to Port Botany at 2:00am on Sunday morning. 12:00pm or 1:00pm on Thursday is more doable. I do believe that VIN 4882XXs and 3P- will be on this ship, so... photos I would like...

Maybe I try to go to the Kurnell side, as you would be able to see the ship arrive from further away

As the cars are in containers you won’t see them unloaded at the shipping terminal. The containers are loaded on to a truck and then taken to where ever they need to go for Tesla to unpack. Don’t want you getting there at stupid o’clock and not see them. :(

***UPDATE*** News sources report that the damage occurred when the Vehicles detected the drone and then cooperated to repel what they perceived to be an attack. A sheepish technician admitted entering the wrong region code into the cars and said that they thought they were in Iran.

There is usually some truth behind every joke.

I sincerely hope that EVs will reduce our oil dependency and that the entire Middle East will become a more peaceful region.

Hopefully, "energy security" will become a non-issue via local renewable energy sources, rather than depending oil from the Middle East that needs to be protected with drones and military might.

All imho.

I sincerely hope that EVs will reduce our oil dependency and that the entire Middle East will become a more peaceful region.

Hopefully, "energy security" will become a non-issue via local renewable energy sources, rather than depending oil from the Middle East that needs to be protected with drones and military might.

All imho.
...who would have thought, ordering a M3 = Reduction in war

As the cars are in containers you won’t see them unloaded at the shipping terminal. The containers are loaded on to a truck and then taken to where ever they need to go for Tesla to unpack. Don’t want you getting there at stupid o’clock and not see them. :(

SeaWitch

Almost exactly the same observations to yours above were made by others when I went at the crack of dawn to welcome and take photos of the Cap Capricorn.

I get a buzz just from queueing for days for a car I had not even seen, but that I think will change the future of transportation. Even if I cannot see the cars inside the ship containers, knowing that most likely my car is in one of those containers on a ship entering Botany Bay gives me a massive thrill...

It took me almost 3 years to get my new garage ready for the Model 3. In the end I ran out of money on that project... so I did all the painting and floor decoration by myself (proof in pictures below). Needless to say that I am severely artistically challenged, so this was quite an effort on my part. It is my Tesla-Mahal. Just like the Taj-Mahal, it is a shrine to my love for Tesla and more importantly its mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

IMG_3529.jpg IMG_3526.jpg

While I can only speak for myself, I am almost certain there are others here on the thread who are absolutely crazy about Tesla and the Model 3 and some of us take our crazy to the next level .... I myself cannot even see the ground any more...

So besides the framed "thank you" card from Elon, I would like to put a picture frame on the garage wall with photos of the ship that brought my Model 3 to Australia.

Do I need to actually see my Model 3 coming off the ship?!? Hell no! If Vedaprime tells me the 4882XX VINs are on the ANL Warrnambool, then I will do my best to get to Botany Bay on Thursday to take pictures!

...who would have thought, ordering a M3 = Reduction in war

I know that some might think that is drawing a very long bow, but I really hope that this will be the case.

Also, I know that just like autonomous driving, this will not happen overnight.

However, how high does the EV penetration level need to get to before securing an oil supply out of the Middle East will no longer be top of the minds of our military planners? If EV sales grow to a level, where oil demand for ICE vehicles was actually falling, surely that must have geopolitical implications.

How many trillions of dollars has the West spent on Middle East wars? Again, call me crazy, but I am hopeful that there will be a significant peace dividend from the rise of EVs.

That is at least part of the reason why I am EV-angelist.

Day 1 reservation SR+ Blue Sydney
Ordered 1/8/19 holding out for LR RWD but caved but still supremely happy
4430 VIN allocated
Build date 10/7/19 well before order
Due to pickup Friday 13/9/19, lucky me, commiserations to those still waiting
Spreadsheet updated
Any suggestions from anyone on what issues to look for when collecting/inspecting the car?
Based on model S, scratches on drivers side, mostly rear door. Check all doors close correctly with only a small amount if force.
Check for engine. If you find one, reject it.

All imho.
Unfortunately humans are a bit stupid, so the next war will be at whoever has the most battery ingredients

Unfortunately humans are a bit stupid, so the next war will be at whoever has the most battery ingredients

Yes, that is always a danger. On the other hand, as Elon stated, lithium is actually a relatively abundant element and there are deposits of varying quality all around the world. The problem for lithium is more a matter of bringing production on-line quickly.

Cobalt, rare earths , etc. ? Yes, lots of issues around these that need to be sorted. I am hopeful that these will be resolved via the traditional global trade negotiations and the rule of law, rather than the rule of the jungle.

Yes, that is always a danger. On the other hand, as Elon stated, lithium is actually a relatively abundant element and there are deposits of varying quality all around the world. The problem for lithium is more a matter of bringing production on-line quickly.

Cobalt, rare earths , etc. ? Yes, lots of issues around these that need to be sorted. I am hopeful that these will be resolved via the traditional global trade negotiations and the rule of law, rather than the rule of the jungle.
If I understood Elon correctly, he said Lithium is not a problem, Cobalt is not a problem for Tesla as they have reduced its use considerably from what others are using and they are expecting to reach level where they do not need Cobalt anymore shortly. However Nickel need apparently is rising rapidly for the batteries and that might become next shortage/constraint, so they may need to work on securing long term reliable supply.

Reactions: 1st in Line
Nothing will ever fix the conflict in the middle east.

Without going into politics, yes I agree, that region has a myriad of non-trivial issues that are not going to disappear over night.

However, by taking oil out of the equation, the level of investment by various parties from all around the world into conflicts in that region will decrease dramatically.

Hence, the probability of conflict to escalate beyond that region into a global conflict - while currently a distinct possibility - with the advent of EV transportation, will hopefully diminish over coming decades.

Without going into politics, yes I agree, that region has a myriad of non-trivial issues that are not going to disappear over night.

However, by taking oil out of the equation, the level of investment by various parties from all around the world into conflicts in that region will decrease dramatically.

Hence, the probability of conflict to escalate beyond that region into a global conflict - while currently a distinct possibility - with the advent of EV transportation, will hopefully diminish over coming decades.
I agree with that prediction. Most parties funding the conflicts there are more interested in the cheap oil supply than the reason behind the conflict. Once oil is no longer needed from there as the supply from the rest of the world will have too much surplus, the funding for the conflicts there will also dry considerably.

Taking oil out of the equation will only lessen the west's interest in the need for supply. The ME has been in conflict since the warring 12 tribes of Israel and is unlikely ending any time soon. The danger for the West is the destruction of Israel which would (If it ever were to happen) precede a world war of unprecedented proportions that would probably end life as we know it (If anything or anyone is left to know).

In more positive and Tesla related news. I think I've now purchased every accessory possible, got some Tsportline 18" wheels coming over from the US for my P+ and have prepared in every way imaginable. Also have ordered a set of TPMS, and some lug nut covers. I feel like I'm getting ready for a baby (and I don't have kids).

Hopefully the white interiors start to get delivery scheduled this upcoming week. I don't even care if they have to delay it, I just want that invoice and a roundabout idea of when I need to block out my work schedule.