Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the volume is huge, I think we could see a different shipping company involved if Tesla use a dedicated car carrier which can hold up to 4000 cars roll on roll off, like is being done in Europe. It is less than a week’s production so seems quite plausible for the first shipments.

Tesla did a deal with Glovis.

Glovis is being used to ship in bulk to Europe and China.
The car carriers used currently are
Glovis Captain
Glovis Symphony
Glovis Cosmos
Maybe more. All leave from San Francisco.

There is no torque ripple in the Model 3.

That's right, because it is crippled (software wise) before the torque ripple kicks in and that's my point...the RWD's seems to suffer from the no punch/push you head back in the seat effect that one gets on the induction motors (or AWD 3's etc.)....

Don't get me wrong, I have an S and an X and I love my RWD S....but it is an induction motor so these PMM motors have me a little worried....I was going to turn my reservation in to an order with a RWD but I may just pony up the extra $'s for the AWD...unlike the states we can't really drive the RWD and then jump in the AWD drive to compare....even hard to do in the S's today (well, not today because one cannot buy a RWD S anymore, which is kinda sad)....

There are some differences in the characteristics of PMM motors compared to the Induction motors that are used on the S. the PMM motors are 5-10% more efficient, and the induction motors have stronger torque.

Its all a bit of a mute point now as S and 3 are now basically identical having a PMM motor and and induction motor for a compromise between the two. I don't have time to check whether all AWD 3s or just the P3 has an induction motor.
The AWD and the Performance have the same motors. The front is induction. so it can be shut off. The difference between the AWD and the Performance is software plus lower suspension and 20" wheels. Supposedly motors in Performance are hand selected but I'm not sure I believe it.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
That's right, because it is crippled (software wise) before the torque ripple kicks in and that's my point...the RWD's seems to suffer from the no punch/push you head back in the seat effect that one gets on the induction motors (or AWD 3's etc.)....

Don't get me wrong, I have an S and an X and I love my RWD S....but it is an induction motor so these PMM motors have me a little worried....I was going to turn my reservation in to an order with a RWD but I may just pony up the extra $'s for the AWD...unlike the states we can't really drive the RWD and then jump in the AWD drive to compare....even hard to do in the S's today (well, not today because one cannot buy a RWD S anymore, which is kinda sad)....
No punch? The 0-60 mph on the RWD is now about 5 seconds. The AWD definitely has more immediate punch but that is due to two motors pulling through 4 wheels instead of one motor through 2. If the acceleration punch in the back is your main thing then you need the Performance. If all you care about is rapid daily acceleration then the RWD is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Has anyone confirmed the size of the PMM reluctance motor on the SR+ and MR models? Since they do have slower acceleration they may be using the smaller motor that is used on LR AWD that is rated 188kW where LR RWD and P-AWD have the larger motor rated 211kW driving the rear wheels. The LR AWD and P-AWD of course have the extra induction motor in the front giving them the extra acceleration.
The rear motors are the same on all models. Smaller battery packs have lower max current they can supply and hence lower max power from the motor.

The rear motors are the same on all models. Smaller battery packs have lower max current they can supply and hence lower max power from the motor.
My understanding is that is not true, I've heard this at multiple sources, but the best I can be bothered finding now is Wikipedia:
Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

LR RWD is 211kW rear, LR AWD is 188kW, Perf iis 211kW rear and the SR/SR+ is not known.

I am 100% sure that like you say the first LR AWDs shipped with 211kW rear with a software lock (this could even be unlocked for some for a fee!), but that later changed when Tesla could provide 188kW rear motors.

What people are still asking without an answer, is if the SR and SR+ received the 211kW motor like the LR RWD or the 188kW motor like the LR AWD.

Let's be fair, only 5 years ago was 120kW considered "high performance".

Interesting information on the different motors in the different models Priit.
Wikipedia lists the motors for the LR models, but not the SR/MR models so you might be right about using the smaller motor.
Interesting that in spite of the performance having a larger rear motor than the LR AWD, they have the same range?

They understated the range on the LR AWD; it has more than the P version.

I think...

FSD pricing is $8500 AUD, $11400 after delivery. Based on S, and other countries, list the 3 at the same price.

In Australia, only Autpoark has been approved in FSD.

Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, Navigate city streets, recognise traffic lights and stop signs are listed as later this year.
Automatic lane change is not listed

Has anyone confirmed the size of the PMM reluctance motor on the SR+ and MR models? Since they do have slower acceleration they may be using the smaller motor that is used on LR AWD that is rated 188kW where LR RWD and P-AWD have the larger motor rated 211kW driving the rear wheels. The LR AWD and P-AWD of course have the extra induction motor in the front giving them the extra acceleration.
There is only one rear motor and one front motor design for the Model 3. The differences for the SR+ and MR models compared to LR RWD are due to the power available from the different battery packs. The differences between LR AWD and LR Performance AWD are due to additional testing and screening of the drive units and allowing higher output in the Performance model's firmware.

My understanding is that is not true, I've heard this at multiple sources, but the best I can be bothered finding now is Wikipedia:
Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

LR RWD is 211kW rear, LR AWD is 188kW, Perf iis 211kW rear and the SR/SR+ is not known.

I am 100% sure that like you say the first LR AWDs shipped with 211kW rear with a software lock (this could even be unlocked for some for a fee!), but that later changed when Tesla could provide 188kW rear motors.

What people are still asking without an answer, is if the SR and SR+ received the 211kW motor like the LR RWD or the 188kW motor like the LR AWD.

Let's be fair, only 5 years ago was 120kW considered "high performance".
I have certainly been wrong before but I believe the motors are the same and the power difference comes from the current the controller supplies to the motor. I know of at least one case where a car was delivered as an AWD when it was supposed to be a Performance - (Performance but no upgraded brakes or suspension). After a call was made, an unlock was pushed and the car was magically transformed into a Performance model. Note that the P3D- is no longer available. All Performance models now have the brakes and suspension updates.

The power difference with different battery packs is because a smaller battery pack can't supply as much current. Similarly, a smaller battery pack can't accept as high of a charging rate.

Reactions: T3SLA3
Interesting information on the different motors in the different models Priit.
Wikipedia lists the motors for the LR models, but not the SR/MR models so you might be right about using the smaller motor.
Interesting that in spite of the performance having a larger rear motor than the LR AWD, they have the same range?
So far I have not found any verified confirmation that the cheaper models use the smaller motor but there are plenty of speculations like:
Another Look At Tesla Model 3 Mid Range Powertrain And Gross Margin
The range would not really be affected by the motor size as the range is determined by the battery size and efficiencies through the entire system as well as the weight and conditions. They do not test the range while going flat out the whole time. the bigger motor just gives better acceleration.

So far I have not found any verified confirmation that the cheaper models use the smaller motor but there are plenty of speculations like:
Another Look At Tesla Model 3 Mid Range Powertrain And Gross Margin
The range would not really be affected by the motor size as the range is determined by the battery size and efficiencies through the entire system as well as the weight and conditions. They do not test the range while going flat out the whole time. the bigger motor just gives better acceleration.
I don't believe any of the significant assertions in that article. The MR is simply a LR RWD car with fewer battery cells in the pack. They have limited the current the motor can pull to match the smaller battery pack. That is all. The idea behind the Limited Edition Medium Range car was to convince as many Americans as possible to take delivery of a car before the Federal Tax Credit was cut in half on Jan 1, 2019. It worked and many "fence sitters" pulled the trigger instead of waiting for a base Standard Range car. Changing any of the components like the drive unit or the wiring in the car is the exact opposite of the production streamlining that Tesla has clearly prioritized. Heck, they even put the Partial Premium Interior in the base car and skipped the cloth interior altogether.

I don't believe any of the significant assertions in that article. The MR is simply a LR RWD car with fewer battery cells in the pack. They have limited the current the motor can pull to match the smaller battery pack. That is all. The idea behind the Limited Edition Medium Range car was to convince as many Americans as possible to take delivery of a car before the Federal Tax Credit was cut in half on Jan 1, 2019. It worked and many "fence sitters" pulled the trigger instead of waiting for a base Standard Range car. Changing any of the components like the drive unit or the wiring in the car is the exact opposite of the production streamlining that Tesla has clearly prioritized. Heck, they even put the Partial Premium Interior in the base car and skipped the cloth interior altogether.
I agree that MR was introduced to get slightly cheaper model out before US tax credit started phaseout.
It would make sense to just manufacture one motor for them all and differentiate them using software (since all teardowns I have read about have been LR models, we have to wait until someone pulls apart a MR and SR car to see if there are more differences). We do know there are differences in the battery cell count and pack capacity. We also know that SR and SR+ have smaller onboard AC charger for the battery pack allowing only up to 240V 32A vs LR, LR AWD and P-AWD having onboard AC charger up to 240V 48A. (DC charging is limited by battery pack size and software restrictions but AC charging is limited by charger size as battery pack can take more) I do not know which charger was on MR. They have cut down some other components on the SR and SR+ like removal of second sound amp and disabling software features. Also the cars are in constant improvement so the components may be changing in the manufacturing with no information about that being released to public.