Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BREAKING NEWS: We are one day closer to the Configurator opening!!

I love the Electrek click-bait headline “Tesla increases price of all Model 3 variants, even ‘off-the-menu’ base model”

Fearing the worst... is it $5k? $2k? Even more to be added on to the AUD price!? Disaster!

Turns out the increase is US$400. There, saved you reading the article.

Kinda annoying to see the options reduce (no mid range and maybe no LRRWD) as well as the price increase over time while we still can't lock anything in with an order. Can't be that hard to let us order now even if the wait is 3 or 4 months for delivery...

I would be also interested in how often those boat loads for AUS would be coming? If the first load will be mainly Performance and AWD models, then how long until the next load that would include the SR+ and hopefully LR RWD models would be coming? As I cannot afford Performance or AWD model, I am hoping I might be able to squeeze a LR RWD into the budget (if that will be available off menu for us), but I may have to go with SR+ depending on prices.

Careful on the RWD, not like the older Model S RWD...a lot of people that drive it are quite disappointed, of course most of those driving the RWD are current RWD S drivers/owners (like myself).

Google it, someone did a review of their RWD and why they upgraded to the S, I’m sure a AWD would have been okay...something about big dead spots on the RWD motor that one wouldn’t usually expect on an EV (and that I don’t experience on my Model S RWD)....

Has me worried enough that I’ll not lock in my reservation until I’ve driven, my preference is for a RWD but what I’ve read worries me a little...

• Informative
Reactions: Tension and Miggy
I would be also interested in how often those boat loads for AUS would be coming? If the first load will be mainly Performance and AWD models, then how long until the next load that would include the SR+ and hopefully LR RWD models would be coming? As I cannot afford Performance or AWD model, I am hoping I might be able to squeeze a LR RWD into the budget (if that will be available off menu for us), but I may have to go with SR+ depending on prices.

Shipping can come weekly from the US from ANL. Three Teslas fit into a shpping container, and leave from Oakland to Melbourne, Sydney (and occasionally berth in Adelaide)

Travel time is 23-26 days to Melbourne first, then 3 days to Sydney.

They won’t be making them in June. They will want to maximise deliveries for the quarterly accounts. Expect July manufacture and August delivery.

If the volume is huge, I think we could see a different shipping company involved if Tesla use a dedicated car carrier which can hold up to 4000 cars roll on roll off, like is being done in Europe. It is less than a week’s production so seems quite plausible for the first shipments.

It will require a substantial logistical effort from each port to destinations across the country for final prep and delivery.

Sorry to burst any bubbles but I understand the fall in the AUD$ is dropping commodity prices caused by a softening in demand from China as a result of the US/China trade war. Not expecting it to go up until the trade war is resolved.
Happy to be wrong.
I agree this is certainly the largest influence.
The exchange rate represents the sum of all influences added together, including trade war but also a million other lesser influences including the election and even the most minor and banal of things.

The exchange rate represents the sum of all influences added together, including trade war but also a million other lesser influences including the election and even the most minor and banal of things.

Exactly. Follow the price action and you don't really need to know what is happening. The future is unknown but charting will offer historical repetitive trends and produce probabilistic outcomes. Human behaviour creates the money flow.

Careful on the RWD, not like the older Model S RWD...a lot of people that drive it are quite disappointed, of course most of those driving the RWD are current RWD S drivers/owners (like myself).

Google it, someone did a review of their RWD and why they upgraded to the S, I’m sure a AWD would have been okay...something about big dead spots on the RWD motor that one wouldn’t usually expect on an EV (and that I don’t experience on my Model S RWD)....

Has me worried enough that I’ll not lock in my reservation until I’ve driven, my preference is for a RWD but what I’ve read worries me a little...
Huh??? I own two Model 3's - an AWD with 19" and a LR RWD Aeros. The LR RWD Aero is the sweet spot for the Model 3. I see about 80 kilometers longer range than the other car. With a 0-100 kph time around 5.2 seconds (after latest updates) the RWD is plenty quick. Yes the AWD is quicker but the RWD is more than adequate. Tesla traction control is exceptional. I am sure the AWD is better in snow but I don't get much snow. In heavy rain the RWD is fine. It is much better than ANY ICE car I have driven. The AWD is my daily drive and I love the extra handling and push in the back. The other car is my partner's. We take it for long trips due to the range difference. Admittedly, a lot has to do with the difference is tires.

The RWD is also quieter. You don't hear the rear motor but you do hear the front motor. It isn't loud but you definitely hear the whine in the AWD.

As a 4yr/100,000km RWD S Owner, I found the 3 LRRWD awesome; drove it from LA to SF return.
The S has luggage capacity over the 3 but the 3 was adequate for two of us and all our luggage.
The 3 lacked the auto boot open/close :p
The 3 was non-AP so we actually drove it; cruised nicely at 100mph :cool:

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about. I have owned a LR RWD 3 for just over a year and don't find it lacking anything or disappointing in the least. If you would care to link to specific concerns, I'm sure we can address those concerns. I've never heard anyone complain about "dead spots" in the motor performance.

I tried googling it and could not find anything negative about Model 3 motors. From all I could find the LR RWD motor is a marvellous work of art years ahead of other motors and appears to be designed for over a million miles (1.6M KM).
Not sure if my googling skills are lacking or if the article was too many pages down the line. Can you link the article?
From all I have read so far, I have no worries over ordering one without driving one, as long as my finances can manage it (as we don't know the price in AUS yet).

• Informative
Reactions: nigwil
I tried googling it and could not find anything negative about Model 3 motors. From all I could find the LR RWD motor is a marvellous work of art years ahead of other motors and appears to be designed for over a million miles (1.6M KM).
Not sure if my googling skills are lacking or if the article was too many pages down the line. Can you link the article?
From all I have read so far, I have no worries over ordering one without driving one, as long as my finances can manage it (as we don't know the price in AUS yet).

There are some differences in the characteristics of PMM motors compared to the Induction motors that are used on the S. the PMM motors are 5-10% more efficient, and the induction motors have stronger torque.

Its all a bit of a mute point now as S and 3 are now basically identical having a PMM motor and and induction motor for a compromise between the two. I don't have time to check whether all AWD 3s or just the P3 has an induction motor.

There are some differences in the characteristics of PMM motors compared to the Induction motors that are used on the S. the PMM motors are 5-10% more efficient, and the induction motors have stronger torque.

Its all a bit of a mute point now as S and 3 are now basically identical having a PMM motor and and induction motor for a compromise between the two. I don't have time to check whether all AWD 3s or just the P3 has an induction motor.
I remember some comments on RWD but this video may help.