Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its all a bit of a mute point now as S and 3 are now basically identical having a PMM motor and and induction motor for a compromise between the two. I don't have time to check whether all AWD 3s or just the P3 has an induction motor.
From what I have read the RWD models have just PMM reluctance motor, but AWD model 3 has PMM reluctance motor on the back and induction motor on the front. The information has been somewhat conflicting and a lot of it appears speculation or information from different researches into the motor types not specifically Tesla made motors, but the trend appears to be similar in that PMM reluctance motor is more efficient in low to medium speeds, but at very high speeds the induction motor has some advantages. However for standard city/hwy driving the advantage is on PMM reluctance motor side.

• Informative
Reactions: rohan_aus
From what I have read the RWD models have just PMM reluctance motor, but AWD model 3 has PMM reluctance motor on the back and induction motor on the front. The information has been somewhat conflicting and a lot of it appears speculation or information from different researches into the motor types not specifically Tesla made motors, but the trend appears to be similar in that PMM reluctance motor is more efficient in low to medium speeds, but at very high speeds the induction motor has some advantages. However for standard city/hwy driving the advantage is on PMM reluctance motor side.
I’ve also heard the induction motor is what gives Tesla’s their “punch” when you floor it in Model S/X, hence why a RWD Model S 75 has a 0-100 time of 4.5 but a RWD Model 3 is ~5.2 even though Model S is a fair bit heavier. With the AWD Model 3 you get the best of both worlds.

Happy to be corrected on the above if I’ve made an error?

Careful on the RWD, not like the older Model S RWD...a lot of people that drive it are quite disappointed, of course most of those driving the RWD are current RWD S drivers/owners (like myself).

Google it, someone did a review of their RWD and why they upgraded to the S, I’m sure a AWD would have been okay...something about big dead spots on the RWD motor that one wouldn’t usually expect on an EV (and that I don’t experience on my Model S RWD)....

Has me worried enough that I’ll not lock in my reservation until I’ve driven, my preference is for a RWD but what I’ve read worries me a little...

what are you talking about?

I’ve also heard the induction motor is what gives Tesla’s their “punch” when you floor it in Model S/X, hence why a RWD Model S 75 has a 0-100 time of 4.5 but a RWD Model 3 is ~5.2 even though Model S is a fair bit heavier. With the AWD Model 3 you get the best of both worlds.

Happy to be corrected on the above if I’ve made an error?

That could be part of it although the bigger factor will be Tesla keeping the S/X as appearing faster in a straight line than the lower cost and in many cases lower margin model 3. I hold the opinion that the model 3 still has a lot of potential for improvement in both straight line and track times, Tesla only need to unleash that when a competitor arrives.

I hold the opinion that the model 3 still has a lot of potential for improvement in both straight line and track times, Tesla only need to unleash that when a competitor arrives.
Next competitor to Model 3 that we know about is Model Y. Will have to wait and hope that other car manufacturers get their crap together and start making something that might compete also, but so far we have not seen any that can match up.

@Miggy that's the video I was trying to remember, from there it lead me to comments etc....hence I thought I would mention it.

I am also a 3.5 years owner of a RWD Model S and love it....choice rear only over AWD as I just like the feel more and like not having the extra noise....however I was worried after watching the video Miggy linked

@Candleflame may be have a read of the comments above on Page 52 and look at Miggy's link to the video....decide for yourself....I wanted the LR RWD however a little worried based on the video and what a few friends have said. Coming from the RWD Model S even though it is far slower than the AWD it has 'punch' and I am worried (again based on the video of someone fairly knowledgable, has both) that the RWD will be not punchy enough for my tastes....

And I am a slow driver often getting 165 WH/km with 21's! But when I give it a punch I would like it to feel like an EV not an ICE.....

Link to the video for your convenience

@Candleflame may be have a read of the comments above on Page 52 and look at Miggy's link to the video....decide for yourself from there....I wanted the LR RWD...but a little worried based on the video and what a few friends have said....coming from the RWD Model S even though it is far slower than the AWD it has 'punch' I am worried (again based on the video of someone fairly knowledgable, has both) that the RWD will be not punchy enough for my tastes....

And I am a slow driver often getting 160 WH/km wth 21's! But when I give it a punch I was it to feel like an EV not an ICE.....

Link to the video for your convenience :

The RWD in the video is a Mid-Range with less power, not the Long Range...

Also, the Tesla AU Referrals page when you click someone's referral link now has Model 3 and Custom Order on it. Clicking on the Model 3 still directs to the Reservation page at the moment though.

Reactions: Vedaprime
@mmui90 LR or Mid-Range will still experience a torque ripple (debatably worse on a LR) with PMM motors compared to induction motors....watch the video and then do some research if you wish.

My reservation was done on the "day" (slightly before seen) and I just logged in, still saying:

You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation.

@mmui90 LR or Mid-Range will still experience a torque ripple (debatably worse on a LR) with PMM motors compared to induction motors....watch the video and then do some research if you wish.

My reservation was done on the "day" (slightly before seen) and I just logged in, still saying:

I meant this page:

Untitled.png

@mmui90 I don't have anyone's referral code to check, but my reservation page still predicts the delivery to be 2019 and no option to configure yet.
@EcoCloudIT I suspect the torque ripple being as it is, does not come into play as Tesla limits the car performance by software to lower than that. This is also the reason why 0-100 acceleration on the MR is slower than it is on the LR RWD. That seemed to be also the conclusion the referenced video was trying to convey. He explained at length the torque ripple effects and then stated that Tesla appears to be limiting the torque at low speeds to remain under that and possibly even more to differentiate the higher specs models so they would be more attractive.

@Candleflame may be have a read of the comments above on Page 52 and look at Miggy's link to the video....decide for yourself....I wanted the LR RWD however a little worried based on the video and what a few friends have said. Coming from the RWD Model S even though it is far slower than the AWD it has 'punch' and I am worried (again based on the video of someone fairly knowledgable, has both) that the RWD will be not punchy enough for my tastes....

And I am a slow driver often getting 165 WH/km with 21's! But when I give it a punch I would like it to feel like an EV not an ICE.....

Link to the video for your convenience

you are worried that you do not have enough punch in a car which does 0 to 60 in 5 seconds? When the average car on the road does it in 9 seconds+?

I guess that's why we are in a Tesla forum. Everything below 2 seconds 0 to 60 is considered slow.

The RWD should be imho the more expensive option given that you get an extra 8% of range for free imho.

Has anyone confirmed the size of the PMM reluctance motor on the SR+ and MR models? Since they do have slower acceleration they may be using the smaller motor that is used on LR AWD that is rated 188kW where LR RWD and P-AWD have the larger motor rated 211kW driving the rear wheels. The LR AWD and P-AWD of course have the extra induction motor in the front giving them the extra acceleration.

the Tesla AU Referrals page when you click someone's referral link now has Model 3 and Custom Order on it. Clicking on the Model 3 still directs to the Reservation page at the moment though.

Thanks for this. Finally some action if some sub pages are changing now. There goes my evening checking for more signs.

F5-ing for 15 days. Should have written some code if this is what ‘shortly after’ looks like.

There is no torque ripple in the Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: nigwil
Interesting information on the different motors in the different models Priit.
Wikipedia lists the motors for the LR models, but not the SR/MR models so you might be right about using the smaller motor.
Interesting that in spite of the performance having a larger rear motor than the LR AWD, they have the same range?