Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears the optimism and random information and speculation about Model 3 arriving in Australia has dialled way down lately. Hope there will be some trinket of information that lights the fuse again...
Yes. It seems Tesla has had a few distractions of late... a new capital raising, now Elon reading the riot act to all employees regarding expenses. Apparently he is going to personally sign off 1 in every 10 expenses.

I question the wisdom of a CEO micromanaging to that level, as it implies he does not trust his managers (never a good look) and it does not inspire confidence there is a steady and happy ship with a clear path to ongoing profitability. A CEO signing off $100 expense claims is usually a symptom of much deeper problems. It should never come to that.

I don’t think Tesla is about to go bankrupt, but their stock has lost a lot of ground this year and it’s difficult to conclude that all is well at Fremont at the moment.

I question the wisdom of a CEO micromanaging to that level, as it implies he does not trust his managers (never a good look) and it does not inspire confidence there is a steady and happy ship with a clear path to ongoing profitability. A CEO signing off $100 expense claims is usually a symptom of much deeper problems. It should never come to that.

I don’t think Tesla is about to go bankrupt, but their stock has lost a lot of ground this year and it’s difficult to conclude that all is well at Fremont at the moment.
I think this is just Elons style, that he likes to keep his finger on the action where production was having difficulties he slept on factory floor, when beenies are counting coins, he wants to be a part of that. I suspect they had a little hiccup with the finances plan. When they announced SR Model 3, they said to make this possible they had to close the stores and it probably looked good on paper that closing all those would have limited their expenses. When that plan changed but the car was already released, their expenses needed a bit limiting in other places.

My take is that sales in the UK must be going really well - absorbing RHD production and pushing out Oz orders for the time being.
Or because the SR+ (essentially the base Model 3 for now) is above the UK Luxury Car Tax threshold, they can't get enough orders to fill a boat and so they're dragging their feet on opening configurations for the rest of the RHD world.

I think this is just Elons style, that he likes to keep his finger on the action where production was having difficulties he slept on factory floor, when beenies are counting coins, he wants to be a part of that.
And that’s fine and dandy for a CEO of a start-up. It’s not fine and dandy for a $50Bn company. I’m not alone in that view. Robyn Denholm needs to be over there urgently - not long to go I think.

Anyway, getting back on-topic.

I really have no expectations for when Model 3 ordering will open here. It will open when it opens. My prediction was I would take delivery of my Model 3 1234 days after putting down my reservation. It might end up being very close to that!

My take is that sales in the UK must be going really well - absorbing RHD production and pushing out Oz orders for the time being.

The UK would have had many more reservations than Oz (just based on population alone) so they'll soak most of the RHD production up for a while. Considering so few RHD VINs have been registered to date, it could all take a lot longer than we thought...

I had the pleasure of taking a MS for a drive today. First EV experience for me and now I’m even more excited. Interestingly for me was the rear seat in the M3 they had in store had a more comfortable rear seat than the MS we test drove. First of all when my 13yo son alerted me to this I didn’t believe it. The seat base in the MS is closer to the floor, even with his much smaller frame than mine, he found it awkward. I thought he may have been infected by my enthusiasm for the M3 and wanted to encourage me... but he had a really good point.

Anyway, they are still saying this month for the order book for reservation holders. I’m thinking 28th too.

I still stand by my estimation that the first couple of hundred RHD M3-s will go to the employees and Tesla shops for test drives and the first end user deliveries for UK will be in the middle of July. I hope our orders will open before July and first deliveries start by end of August or September. Since I don't believe I will be in the first batch, I really hope I will get my car before the end of the year :)

I still stand by my estimation that the first couple of hundred RHD M3-s will go to the employees and Tesla shops for test drives and the first end user deliveries for UK will be in the middle of July. I hope our orders will open before July and first deliveries start by end of August or September. Since I don't believe I will be in the first batch, I really hope I will get my car before the end of the year :)
Na - 9 December; five years on from the S.