Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mistake sorry.
Thats great news then.

It might be that the bot kicked into action and started adding peoples VIN numbers possibly from the ship docking? Someone contacting Tesla mentioned before the entire VIN adding/delivery system is automated. Sometimes I hate automation for automation sake.

Hopefully delivery is not too far, off what specs did you get?

carways (who were great communicators)
Agreed!

it showed up an error saying 12V battery needs service in the same spot as your fault indicator
Yes indeed. Happy to swap you my battery for your charge port ;-)

Canberra ranger was aware of my problem, had already ordered me another 12V battery
Excellent - we can only hope this person exists. I wonder if any S/X owners have dealt with them before?

Would really like App access as the 5% thing is worrying me. If anyone has any tips to get this enabled quickly please let me know!
Likewise!

Also, thanks @m3y3addict

Reinforcing that the car is awesome and that this kind of thing we're experiencing is typical of the Bathtub curve - Wikipedia and that reliability is just around the corner.

Reactions: Crynja
Quick question.. I charged to 100% last night to see what I could get the actual range number to (knew it wasn't going to be close to 560km NEDC).. Managed 500km exactly. What have others been able to get?

Charged to 100% this morning. Range reads exactly 500km at 100% charge.

Think the number must be meaningless/hard-coded; my average Wh/km since picking up the car is 170, so if the car was learning based upon my driving habits 100% charge should report 440km for a 75kWh battery pack.

Possible they've just fixed the Wh/km rate at 150 for the range calculation. Personally I've never attained such as efficient average over any appreciable distance. Though it's not like I've been trying to, either. :)

My brother who has an S decided to buy a Leaf as a second family EV. The main feature he likes is facility to do V2G about 10k more. It seems to have better regen perhaps to a lower cutoff speed but I cannot quantify this. It is also a smaller car & better to use driving around Sydney. The range is smaller of course but his S will cover long trips.
Good on him. A lower cost, smaller range EV is often a perfect arrangement for a 2-BEV family. When I get my Model 3, I have no intention of getting rid of my LEAF. At best, I might sell it and get the new LEAF.

I used to post regularly in the official Tesla forums, but some of the arrogant Tesla snobs there are absolutely insufferable and turned me off. They pretend to be on board with Elon’s mission to accelerate the world to sustainable transportation, but they repeatedly and consistently mock, deride, bash and insult every BEV that isn’t Tesla. To them, every other BEV on the planet is a compliance car (a totally US-centric perspective), made by a manufacturer who has deliberately developed a crippled, compromised product in order to put people off BEVs and kill the segment. They even laugh and rejoice if other BEVs don’t sell very well. Seriously.

They are totally off the wall and impossible to debate rationally with. To them, there is simply no possible use case where a 2 BEV family should consider anything else other than 2 Teslas, even if a solution costing $50k less does everything that family needs.

I'm happy to say I've finally joined the club... ordered an AWD today after sitting in a SR+ (a big shoutout to Helen :) who kindly put up with my annoying questions).
Now, I'm 1.83 m tall with extra long legs and I put the seat back all the way and it was still a little cramped. I'm expecting if I raise the steering wheel I'll fit better. But I'd appreciate hearing from other taller drivers as I'd hate to think I'd be uncomfortable in this vehicle.

I am 1.90m. No issue with comfort. While the driver and passenger seats are awesome in terms of ability to adjust, they do not leave much space below the seat for people on the back seats to put their feet, due to all the mechanics for seat adjustments.

One back seat passenger discovered a little bit of feet space in the middle of the car, below the console, though they would have to angle their legs to get their feet into that space. When asked, back seat passengers always said that they had sufficient space (perhaps just too polite).

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Would really like App access as the 5% thing is worrying me. If anyone has any tips to get this enabled quickly please let me know!

We had some initial trouble pairing the phone app. This is what we did:
1) returned the email stating we have received our car
2) tried again to pair with phone, so rang Louis Ramsey at Sydney delivery on 0431 971 239 (also the number we were given to have the ‘quick walkthrough’) who applied something at his end and said all was good to go.
3) turned on Bluetooth on phone and opened the Tesla app
4) tapped the car sign bottom right of screen
5) tapped Safety and Security on lower left of screen
6) scrolled all the way down that screen to the bottom and tapped Allow Mobile Access
This worked for us - hope it works for you.
Sorry to hear you had a tussle with a kangaroo, glad you and the car are all safe (and the kangaroo lol).

The consensus does seem to be that the delivery of the first wave of Model 3s has been somewhat of a flustercluck. But I don’t think that is unique to Australia - same has happened in Europe and parts of the USA. Tesla just hasn’t scaled well to go from delivering 50-100k cars per year to 400k cars.

“2022 Roadster” - there, fixed it for you. I thought I’d be waiting about 2 years for my Model 3. It will end up being 4 years.

If you’ve already paid for a Founders series Roadster I guess you really are the ex-CEO of Maxwell.

Hummmmmm, was I or was I not.....From 2000-2007, invented Ultracaps and Coating tech......Think Cache, PowerCache

I'm 191cm, and I can sit in the back behind the driver's seat with it set to my position. It's a tiny bit of a squeeze, so I wouldn't recommend it is done for long, but at a pinch it would be fine.

I remember pointing this out to the guy in the Brisbane showroom. I asked if he'd be comfortable sitting behind me (198cm, seat fully back) for a 2 hour trip to the Sunny Coast. He visibly paused before gritting his teeth and saying "yes" o_O I think his nose grew a few cm at the same time.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I remember pointing this out to the guy in the Brisbane showroom. I asked if he'd be comfortable sitting behind me (198cm, seat fully back) for a 2 hour trip to the Sunny Coast. He visibly paused before gritting his teeth and saying "yes" o_O I think his nose grew a few cm at the same time.
Haha, we've all had to do it before unfortunately.
When the guy was showing the Model 3 we asked about a tall person driving.
He said that sometimes he would take the middle seat since there was no hump in the middle and you can get more room if someone really punches their seat back.

When my mate test drove a Model S I was in the back middle seat to see what he was doing and was surprisingly comfortable.
Middle seat on ICE sucks.
Middle seat on EVs are awesome.

Last edited:
Spotted a second local-ish Model 3 in Maleny.
upload_2019-10-6_19-10-50.png

White, something other than a P+ (Edit: no "Dual Motor" badge, so must be an SR+?), 4419XX VIN, possibly already in the tracker. Registered/delivered around September 27th.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
I Was in Tesla Martin Place today. In the middle of a Sunday afternoon it was packed. The salesperson was looking like they had had a big couple of weeks. I didn’t get to ask much in the way of questions regarding the speed limits and turning circle etc - there were small children holding pens near white car seats. I have got the Sydney Service email address to see if I can order a couple of things from the accessory brochure. I’ll post in the thread how I get on.

I didn’t find any difference in turning circle with changing the steering settings - just resistance to turning the wheel and feedback. No surprises there I guess. Driving in to a narrow underground car park I did notice how wide the turning circle is. I didn’t have to back and fill anywhere, but I had to take care. It seems a bit odd for a car that is fairly low and wide and so unlikely to fail the moose test to have such a wide turning circle.

Re supercharging, I wanted to change credit cards and logged in, deleted the old one only to discover there is a bug in adding a new card. Now I assume I won’t be able to supercharge and have to get back home from Canberra. Hopefully service answers their phone to help. I think there’s a charger near the Airport I can use before we leave.

always add the new card before deleting the old

• Informative
Reactions: adee