Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy to say I've finally joined the club... ordered an AWD today after sitting in a SR+ (a big shoutout to Helen :) who kindly put up with my annoying questions).
Now, I'm 1.83 m tall with extra long legs and I put the seat back all the way and it was still a little cramped. I'm expecting if I raise the steering wheel I'll fit better. But I'd appreciate hearing from other taller drivers as I'd hate to think I'd be uncomfortable in this vehicle.
1.88 m and no problem.

View attachment 462931 Soo... good news, bad news kinda day. P3D- delivered on Saturday in ACT (nice surprised after two missed delivery appointments previously.

6KM on the ODO (literally as soon as I sat in it) and this fault. Autonexus ‘prep sheet’ listed ‘Charging’ as something they did but I suspect not as it only arrived with 43% charge.

Called roadside assistance, a couple of reboots but no dice. It seems to be related to the sensing on the charge cable interlock actuator. Tried my mobile charger and Supercharger but the same effect.

This is annoying. I feel for you.
Keep us across how this pans out.

Reactions: Graz3r
I must admit, ordering and receiving the 3 has been an ugly waiting game... some new management in Oz might be useful
The consensus does seem to be that the delivery of the first wave of Model 3s has been somewhat of a flustercluck. But I don’t think that is unique to Australia - same has happened in Europe and parts of the USA. Tesla just hasn’t scaled well to go from delivering 50-100k cars per year to 400k cars.

I have a fully paid for founders series 2020 roaster on order, should I keep it? Ooopppsss. 2021 roadster
“2022 Roadster” - there, fixed it for you. I thought I’d be waiting about 2 years for my Model 3. It will end up being 4 years.

If you’ve already paid for a Founders series Roadster I guess you really are the ex-CEO of Maxwell.

Also quick thing for owners in Victoria.
Has anyone seen inaccurate speed limits?
I'm wondering if Tesla is using the publicly available Speed Limit data-set in Victoria instead of using the OSM data compared to a state/territory which does not have speed limit data-sets.
Speed Zone Data - Victorian Government Data Directory
Speed Sign Data - Victorian Government Data Directory

It may even be possible that Tesla is using the API provided from VicRoads for updated speed sign information on freeways, as they change.. alot.
Multiple Variable Electronic Speed Signs Live - Victorian Government Data Directory

Having driven my SR+ in the eastern suburbs for 2+wks, yes, I do notice several inaccurate speed limits. I had hoped that they would be corrected once I got my nav update but no joy with AU-2019.24-10589.

The glaring ones are:
  1. Monash Fwy (M1) between Bourke Rd and CBD. That whole stretch is 80kmh but still registers as 100kmh in my SR+. I dare not test if Tesla knows the speed limit in the tunnels is 80kmh for fear of getting a speeding ticket. Maybe I'll slow down to 70kmh in a tunnel next time before engaging TACC; if I see 100kmh, I'll quickly disengage,
  2. Off-ramp/on-ramp between M3 (Eastlink) and M1. Speed reduces to 80kmh, still 100kmh in my car.
I'll try logging "bug report speed limit" next time.

I’ve heard there is a number you call to be given the walk-through when accepting delivery outside of a delivery centre, but the delivery driver didn’t give me anything? None of the in car literature mentions anything?
That’s crappy Graz3r. I’m in a similar boat. Got my white P3- delivered by Carways in Canberra on Friday @1pm. Tesla never even called to schedule an appointment or let me know by email. I found out by contacting carways (who were great communicators).

As soon as the car came out of transport mode it showed up an error saying 12V battery needs service in the same spot as your fault indicator (but a slightly more descriptive error). Might be the same as yours but might not be. I was given no number to call to contact Tesla, and the driver didn’t know much about the car other than his rehearsed script.

I still don’t have App access although I did reply to an old delivery confirmation email Tesla sent in advance of knowing when the car would be here.

I was planning on driving straight to Narooma so called the roadside assist number (came up when I tapped on the fault warning). I spoke to a nice human who said that the Canberra ranger was aware of my problem, had already ordered me another 12V battery, and I was fine to drive to Narooma, as long as I don’t let the main battery get below 5%. So here I am in Narooma! Still haven’t been able to talk to anyone at Tesla apart from the nice roadside assist woman.

Car drove great, too great as my wife took it from Bungendore to Batemans Bay and Wouldn’t give it back at Braidwood as we had prearranged. Should’ve got it in writing.

Had a few issues disconnecting my car from the free, 50kW (awesome) NRMA charger in Batemans Bay. Need to dig into the settings in the screen to unlock it. Now I know about the manual release string in the boot behind the charging port. I also hit a kangaroo (first time in my life) at 90km/hr leaving Batemans bay! He really just grazed me in the side actually after I swerved to miss him. Both kangaroo and car showed no damage remarkably. Freaked out my wife and kids. Wish I’d installed myTeslaCam USB but alas I hadn’t yet.

Would really like App access as the 5% thing is worrying me. If anyone has any tips to get this enabled quickly please let me know!

What number did you call?
I get someone immediately on (03) 8593 4780 and (03) 9039 6000

I called the number in my online account (main Tesla number), another number of a Sydney delivery person (from my call log from initial appointment) and another person's direct contact number (provided by my finance company). No luck with any of them until the main Sydney number on the 4th day of trying. I couldn't leave messages with the main number (mail box full) but I left messages to the other numbers. I don't see why Tesla bothers with their main number (1 800 68 6705) if it takes 4 x 1hr sessions for a person to get through.

I think the main questions people should be asking is: Why should the customer have to call the business? Why didn't Tesla call ME after the delivery failed (on both occasions)?

The only email response I have ever gotten (from lots of emails - including to relevant individuals accounts) was an email begging for my invoice (with a response 3 days before delivery) and another email begging for a correct invoice. The email invoice responses only came however after Agnes from Pepper lit a fire under someone to actually get the initial invoice and a correct invoice.

I can understand that they may have delivery issues and carrier issues to a place like inverell. I would be really understanding of this. They could have called me and I would have shrugged my shoulders and said ok. What gets me cranky is the total lack of communication. They had to have know 8-12 hours in advance that the car wasn't on the truck.

My dad joking told me I should report my car stolen. I have the registration papers, green slip, comprehensive insurance and number plates. The car is actually mine. I just don't have the car.

Attachments

• Tesla Oct Delivery - block.jpg
    Tesla Oct Delivery - block.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Tesla Appointment - text.jpg
    Tesla Appointment - text.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 42
View attachment 462931 Soo... good news, bad news kinda day. P3D- delivered on Saturday in ACT (nice surprised after two missed delivery appointments previously.

6KM on the ODO (literally as soon as I sat in it) and this fault. Autonexus ‘prep sheet’ listed ‘Charging’ as something they did but I suspect not as it only arrived with 43% charge.

Called roadside assistance, a couple of reboots but no dice. It seems to be related to the sensing on the charge cable interlock actuator. Tried my mobile charger and Supercharger but the same effect.

The attitude of roadside was that I’m SOL and it’ll need be trucked back to Sydney if there is no local ranger. Is there a local ranger?

Also, it won’t appear on my app. The roadside assistance said it will, it just takes a couple of days but really, I’m sure it depends on someone marking it as ‘delivered’ and it would work but roadside assistance said this is not something they can help with.

That said, after 2 minutes of perfectly silent driving and having only used about 20% throttle, I decided that even if it is broken, and even if it only works for one glorious day a year - it’s still worth it! Isn’t that sick?!

It’s going to be hard to explain to my two young boys that we won’t be able to play with the car for a while yet...

I was also one of the few who had to contact Tesla Roadside Assistance on day 1 of ownership when the dreaded "brake fluid low" warning appeared. This was after taking delivery and while on the road 25km from Richmond.

Not the sort of thing anyone expects from a brand new car on day 1. With any other car we would be mightily pissed; but I'm a glass half full type of guy and saw it as a test of the roadside assist and subsequent response from the Service Centre. It should have ended with a sour taste in our mouths when the issue was resolved but it didn't ... and that spoke volumes of the kind of car the M3 was to us :).

Would I recommend the M3? Definitely ... but I would inform would-be buyers the potential pitfalls on the road to ownership. Their mileage may vary but if it's similar to our experience, it's one heck of a reward at the end :).

That’s crappy Graz3r. I’m in a similar boat. Got my white P3- delivered by Carways in Canberra on Friday @1pm. Tesla never even called to schedule an appointment or let me know by email. I found out by contacting carways (who were great communicators).

As soon as the car came out of transport mode it showed up an error saying 12V battery needs service in the same spot as your fault indicator (but a slightly more descriptive error). Might be the same as yours but might not be. I was given no number to call to contact Tesla, and the driver didn’t know much about the car other than his rehearsed script.

I still don’t have App access although I did reply to an old delivery confirmation email Tesla sent in advance of knowing when the car would be here.

I was planning on driving straight to Narooma so called the roadside assist number (came up when I tapped on the fault warning). I spoke to a nice human who said that the Canberra ranger was aware of my problem, had already ordered me another 12V battery, and I was fine to drive to Narooma, as long as I don’t let the main battery get below 5%. So here I am in Narooma! Still haven’t been able to talk to anyone at Tesla apart from the nice roadside assist woman.

Car drove great, too great as my wife took it from Bungendore to Batemans Bay and Wouldn’t give it back at Braidwood as we had prearranged. Should’ve got it in writing.

Had a few issues disconnecting my car from the free, 50kW (awesome) NRMA charger in Batemans Bay. Need to dig into the settings in the screen to unlock it. Now I know about the manual release string in the boot behind the charging port. I also hit a kangaroo (first time in my life) at 90km/hr leaving Batemans bay! He really just grazed me in the side actually after I swerved to miss him. Both kangaroo and car showed no damage remarkably. Freaked out my wife and kids. Wish I’d installed myTeslaCam USB but alas I hadn’t yet.

Would really like App access as the 5% thing is worrying me. If anyone has any tips to get this enabled quickly please let me know!
FWIW delivery of my P3D was delayed a few days due to a battery problem as it turned out. The paperwork left in the glove box identified the fault as "incorrect BMS Overtempererature Threshold (Firmware Update)". The rectification was identified as "Deployed new firmware 2019.28 to vehicle via OTA" & "Correction Firmware Update - Repair"

From my delivery experience I was emailed with a number to call to set up the car when it arrived and an email to respond to confirming "yes" to delivery before the car could be set up OTA. This included doing something with the APP so it recognised my car.

Hope all gets sorted out for you. Lots of people have been grumpy about TESLA M3 deliveries and I was too even though there are many far worse experiences than mine on this forum. Overall though their response in my case was pretty good considering the enormous pressure that Tesla staff are under. The car (P3D) is just fabulous to drive, arrived in generally very good condition ( with relatively minor issues) and everyone who has driven in it is amazed. The acceleration from standing is so addictive that I will have to put the car in "Chill" mode soon. There are so many sentry warnings (all good) from people checking the car out that viewing the cam footage is a bit of a waste of time.

Reactions: Techno-phile
I’ve heard there is a number you call to be given the walk-through when accepting delivery outside of a delivery centre, but the delivery driver didn’t give me anything? None of the in car literature mentions anything?
something like this:

Fri 20/09/2019 9:13 AM
yes

Sent: Monday, 16 September 2019 4:34 PM
To:
Subject: Delivery Acceptance of your Model 3 (for day of delivery)

Hi ,
By responding ‘yes’ to this email, you agree that you have taken delivery of your Model 3 5YJ3F7EB3KF4434XX on or before 20/09/2019 and that you agree with your final motor vehicle purchase agreement. You further acknowledge that all payments for this RN1071184XX have been made on your behalf and agree that risk of loss for this vehicle is hereby transferred to you at this time.

Kind regards,

Xanthe Folan | Delivery (Australia)

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

something like this:

Fri 20/09/2019 9:13 AM
yes

Sent: Monday, 16 September 2019 4:34 PM
To:
Subject:
Delivery Acceptance of your Model 3 (for day of delivery)

Hi ,
By responding ‘yes’ to this email, you agree that you have taken delivery of your Model 3 5YJ3F7EB3KF4434XX on or before 20/09/2019 and that you agree with your final motor vehicle purchase agreement. You further acknowledge that all payments for this RN1071184XX have been made on your behalf and agree that risk of loss for this vehicle is hereby transferred to you at this time.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

and this:

MelbourneDelivery <[email protected]>
Tue 17/09/2019 11:41 AM
Hi ,

I just wanted to update you on the delivery of your Model 3.

We have submitted the request for your vehicle to be delivered at the discussed time; however, we just wanted to stress that while the carrier will endeavour to adhere to this time, the delivery may fall outside the agreed time. The carrier has your contact number and will call you prior to delivery to ensure that you know when they will be arriving. We do apologise for any inconvenience and we appreciate your flexibility.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

and this:

Tue 17/09/2019 11:41 AM
Hi ,

I just wanted to update you on the delivery of your Model 3.

We have submitted the request for your vehicle to be delivered at the discussed time; however, we just wanted to stress that while the carrier will endeavour to adhere to this time, the delivery may fall outside the agreed time. The carrier has your contact number and will call you prior to delivery to ensure that you know when they will be arriving. We do apologise for any inconvenience and we appreciate your flexibility.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

and this:
Mon 16/09/2019 4:33 PM
Hi ,

Now that we’ve confirmed the delivery date, all that’s left is the waiting and the small details in between. Just to reiterate, here is the process for the day of delivery:

Your delivery appointment is confirmed for Friday the 20th of September around 10am.

The carrier will call you 30-40 minutes before their arrival. Please note as the carrier is a third-party company, we can’t control exactly when they will arrive.

Please do a quick survey of the car before you sign for delivery, just to ensure everything is in order. After you have signed for delivery, you may call the following number, where a delivery staff member can do a quick walkthrough of the basics with you.

(03) 9039 6044

To start getting to know your new Model 3 please take the time to watch our Model 3 Guide and tutorial videos in your Tesla Account prior to your delivery.

Your physical registration documents will be in the glovebox of the vehicle.

I will also be sending a follow-up email after this which will serve as formal delivery acceptance. Once you take delivery of the car, simply reply YES to that email.

We look forward to you receiving your Model 3!

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

• Informative
Reactions: tessiestraya
My brother who has an S decided to buy a Leaf as a second family EV. The main feature he likes is facility to do V2G about 10k more. It seems to have better regen perhaps to a lower cutoff speed but I cannot quantify this. It is also a smaller car & better to use driving around Sydney. The range is smaller of course but his S will cover long trips.

and this:
Mon 16/09/2019 4:33 PM
Hi ,

Now that we’ve confirmed the delivery date, all that’s left is the waiting and the small details in between. Just to reiterate, here is the process for the day of delivery:

Your delivery appointment is confirmed for Friday the 20th of September around 10am.

The carrier will call you 30-40 minutes before their arrival. Please note as the carrier is a third-party company, we can’t control exactly when they will arrive.

Please do a quick survey of the car before you sign for delivery, just to ensure everything is in order. After you have signed for delivery, you may call the following number, where a delivery staff member can do a quick walkthrough of the basics with you.

(03) 9039 6044

To start getting to know your new Model 3 please take the time to watch our Model 3 Guide and tutorial videos in your Tesla Account prior to your delivery.

Your physical registration documents will be in the glovebox of the vehicle.

I will also be sending a follow-up email after this which will serve as formal delivery acceptance. Once you take delivery of the car, simply reply YES to that email.

We look forward to you receiving your Model 3!

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia

[email protected]

That seems to be light years better service compared to what others have experienced on here.
I guess the Melbourne Delivery team is more up to scratch.

Just checked my account and I've noticed my VIN is now visible in my account without having to look at the source code! Hopefully this means progress and my delivery wont be delayed!

Haven't received a confirmed delivery date in writing yet. How long before delivery have they confirmed a date? Delivery is supposed to be this Friday.
VIN numbers can sometimes change last second, they aren't fully set unfortunately, although it is a good sign.