Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the same boat, I much prefer the look of the 19 sport wheels, but I am going to be chasing efficiency / range for bigger trips. So in this case for me, practicality will most likely trump aesthetics. Plus, the 18’s will be less prone to kerb rash.
And give a more comfortable ride. I really don’t get the fascination with low profile tyres.

I’m in the same boat, I much prefer the look of the 19 sport wheels, but I am going to be chasing efficiency / range for bigger trips. So in this case for me, practicality will most likely trump aesthetics. Plus, the 18’s will be less prone to kerb rash.
The 18's are not less prone to curb rash. The actual metal rim of the wheel is flush with the aero cover which sits flush within the wheel. The tire's aerodynamic profile does not protect the wheel at all. You just have to learn to leave some gap at the curb and not "park by braille".

The 18's are not less prone to curb rash. The actual metal rim of the wheel is flush with the aero cover which sits flush within the wheel. The tire's aerodynamic profile does not protect the wheel at all. You just have to learn to leave some gap at the curb and not "park by braille".
Thanks for your concerns of my driving ability, although I’m not worried about my capacity to avoid damaging a wheel, it’s someone who would be using the car too.. I’ll pass on your "suggestion ", she loves getting driving hints... not.. lol.

The tire profile is taller, so there may be instances it may save the wheel over a lower profile, taller rim. Thanks for alerting me to the rim / cover profile.

Would it be better to leave the covers off for town driving and only put them on for highway type trips?

Has anyone had problems using auto park where the car has damaged a rim?

Thanks for your concerns of my driving ability, although I’m not worried about my capacity to avoid damaging a wheel, it’s someone who would be using the car too.. I’ll pass on your "suggestion ", she loves getting driving hints... not.. lol.

The tire profile is taller, so there may be instances it may save the wheel over a lower profile, taller rim. Thanks for alerting me to the rim / cover profile.

Would it be better to leave the covers off for town driving and only put them on for highway type trips?

Has anyone had problems using auto park where the car has damaged a rim?
My wife is the primary driver of our Model 3 and she has managed to lightly scrape the rear passenger side wheel before and after the front to back tire rotation. So, now both of the passenger side wheels have small scrapes. In our area, the curbs are much taller than the tire sidewall, regardless of Tesla wheel size. Even the 18's are 45 series profile.

Most people who don't like the appearance of the aero covers take them off for city driving and purchase the center cap and lug cover kit. Some people put the aero covers back on for long trips, others don't bother. We just embrace the look of the aero covers and it has actually grown on me.

BTL on Electrek a poster said “Tesla UK page changed estimated M3 RHD delivery from June to July, for all M3 models.”

So that either means more UK orders than expected, or Tesla are pumping the line for US deliveries in May/June before the Federal tax credit halves to $1750 on 1 July. Given the report that Musk claimed Q2 will see record deliveries, I’m going for the latter.

BTL on Electrek a poster said “Tesla UK page changed estimated M3 RHD delivery from June to July, for all M3 models.”

So that either means more UK orders than expected, or Tesla are pumping the line for US deliveries in May/June before the Federal tax credit halves to $1750 on 1 July. Given the report that Musk claimed Q2 will see record deliveries, I’m going for the latter.

I don't think that it means anything in particular - they aren't just selling a single tranche, the ETD is always going to change. It would be nice to see some more confirmed RHD VINs though.

Given the report that Musk claimed Q2 will see record deliveries, I’m going for the latter.
Yep. Tesla want record Q2 numbers so all cars manufactured need to be delivered by the end of June. Australia is going to miss out and have to wait for production next quarter. July I reckon (delivery in August).

With rate cuts incoming it's a real shame as the AUD has further to fall. We also get much closer to the rumoured interior refresh for the S (september apparently). Going to give it some thought before pulling the trigger. Might be better off just waiting a few more months