Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been monitoring the Australian RVCS (Road Vehicle Certification System) database for a while to see when the Model 3 gets approved. Looks like the Model 3 finally appeared in the database as it was approved for sale in Australia on 24-May. (Search for "Tesla" in the "Make" field here: https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.Notify_Search).

However based on the vehicle weights it looks like only the LR RWD; and LR AWD/Perf have been approved to date. So one could assume they'll be first delivered which is as expected. Additionally towing is listed as optional (Max 750kg non-braked trailer or 910 braked).

... Proposed SUTI Date says 1/Jun/2019.
What is a SUTI date?
OK found this for Vehicle Certification in Australia:

For some vehicle categories a sample of each of the model variants must also be made available for VSS to inspect. This inspection also satisfies the registration inspection requirements of the States and Territory registration authorities (hence it called Single Uniform Type Inspection or SUTI).

So the first Model 3 should be inspected (in Australia) on the 1st of June, however the photo on the RVCS search page showed a RHD model in the photo, but couldn't tell if it was taken in Australia.

And does having the RVCS certification allow the configurations to open before or after SUTI? Either way it is getting close.

I've been monitoring the Australian RVCS (Road Vehicle Certification System) database for a while to see when the Model 3 gets approved. Looks like the Model 3 finally appeared in the database as it was approved for sale in Australia on 24-May. (Search for "Tesla" in the "Make" field here: https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.Notify_Search).

However based on the vehicle weights it looks like only the LR RWD; and LR AWD/Perf have been approved to date. So one could assume they'll be first delivered which is as expected. Additionally towing is listed as optional (Max 750kg non-braked trailer or 910 braked).
Well that's a pretty good first post on the forum @AussieElectric .
Welcome!

I noticed that the RVCS entry mentions towing with "O" that I assume means optional. So we have hope it will be rated for towing.

Thanks for the post - awesome. Some more details on the two types approved.
One has 18 inch rims and one has 19 inch.
One has 225 KW and one 350KW
Long range RWD is listed on wiki as 211KWs. AWD performance is listed at 353KWs.

I sent an email to the RVCS and they came back saying that all photos are taken in Australia with a RHD model and all tests are done in Australia with a RHD model. I suppose those are general rules they have about only testing RHD models but probably means that the Model 3 is actually here on our shores!

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Angel
I sent an email to the RVCS and they came back saying that all photos are taken in Australia with a RHD model and all tests are done in Australia with a RHD model. I suppose those are general rules they have about only testing RHD models but probably means that the Model 3 is actually here on our shores!
I want to believe!! A little doubtful they replied to you on a Sunday though?

Tesla imported a dark blue Model S in early 2014 to act as the SUTi. When the compliance process was completed they used it as a test drive vehicle and I drove it in mid 2014. It popped up again later in 2014 during the test drives out of Star City but IIRC they had multiple cars by then. Most likely a similar process is happening now and a RHD Model 3 is probably already here for the same purpose. Not sure if it stayed in Australia or if it returned to the USA.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Most likely a similar process is happening now and a RHD Model 3 is probably already here for the same purpose. Not sure if it stayed in Australia or if it returned to the USA.
Since the "Proposed SUTI Date" has been set as 1-June-2019 it is possible that the vehicle is already in Australia or they expect the vehicle to be used for testing to arrive before that. They still have almost a week to get it here. I would be interested if they are allowed to open configurations and purchases before they get that test done?

Yep, if one zooms into the photo on the right, one can see that it is a RHD model. One of the 280 RHD VINs?!!!