Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, but many people think the S is a boat and I tend to agree with them. Way too big for my liking. Even if it was the same price as a Model 3, I would buy a Model 3. But I might be an outlier.

I am of the same opinion - way too big on my test drive. I could feel the inertia of the huge weight in acceleration. I am looking for nimble and should get that in the 3.

I looked into MS when it came out even though it was out of my price range, I found that it will not fit in my garage.

I had the same problem - I did a little remodeling. It fits now. Nothing serious, just moving some junk around and putting rubber bumpers on doors in the right places so they don't scratch the car.

The S is definitely not a boat. It's a big 4-door GT car, but it's still very chuckable - at least I found it so when they unwisely let me test drive a P100D. But hey, it worked.

Reactions: meloccom
I widened my garage before buying my S, as there was no way it would have made it past the pillars. Builders jacked up the roof, removed the pillars and rebuilt them further apart then lowered the roof. Needless to say made my Tesla purchase even more expensive...

I think this is very unlikely. AFAIK, most factories in China are designated for domestic production or export production. Since Tesla's main reason for opening the factory is for China domestic production, I doubt they will export anything.
China not export something? Since when did that policy change?
At a rough assumption all LHD in USA, all RHD in china

Tesla has already announced that the GF3 will produce for China and greater China region (not sure how far that stretches). They have confirmed that GF3 production will be supplying India. I don't know if they consider India or other countries in the greater China region export? All higher trim models will still be made in USA.
I think China hold an opinion that the entire world is the greater china region

Anyone know or care to speculate about mobile connectivity for the Model 3 (from the car to Tesla, not the driver's personal devices)? I vaguely recall that the current Tesla's in Australia are mostly on the 3G network and that mobile network costs are included for the first year and then there is a charge onwards. Presumably the Model 3 will be on the 4G network?

I had the same problem - I did a little remodeling. It fits now.
That will not work for me as the garage depth is 4.95m. the garage itself has been built 5m deep but the roller door is mounted from the inside taking 5cm. Model S is 4.98m long, so even if it was touching the back end of the garage, would be hit by roller door and not fit. I cannot move the back wall as it has kitchen on the other side of that and the wall has lots of power cables in it, so not worth the trouble, I will be happy with Model 3 as that is 4.69m and will fit there nicely leaving a just over 12 cm both ends.

China not export something? Since when did that policy change?
At a rough assumption all LHD in USA, all RHD in china
That assumption might not hold water totally as Tesla at current has already registered ~280 VIN-s with RHD and USA manufacturing. They also stated that the high end models will be made for all markets in USA and only cheaper end model 3-s will be made in China for greater China region. China factory should start first test runs in September-October and production in November-December, so the RHD models available before that will need to all come from USA.

Only 2 more days until May is over. I guess there'll be a delay for Australian orders after all.

Optimist - Chinese are pre-ordering 31 May, UK orders were mid week May 1. Maybe a major website change is in works. F5 that order page now and at every waking opportunity

Realist - Elons gonna Elon. Time is not his best attribute. It's gonna open when it's ready.

Pessimist. Open by page 100 of this thread

dunno, sounds rhetorical to me. Noone wants a chinese built model 3 here ha.
There are plenty of cars on the roads here that were built in China. It all depends on the price. If they make US version available and identical specs and looks China produced one say 20% cheaper price, there will be plenty of people purchasing the China made car. We will just have to see what the price is like and make the call if there is any middle ground where the price and our purchasing power intersect.