Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite all the evidence, still holding out hope that SR+ will be available to order from day 1 as believe it was in the UK launch.
If not after 1152 days so far since putting down reservation , what's another hundred or so days

On the 22nd of March I saw the inspection Models 3s on the Gold Coast heading south from Brisbane. I suspect they used one of the Brisbane based compliance engineers like Bruce Gearing. I took pics of the 2 x model 3s. At the time I posted the pics on QLD Tesla Whatsapp group.

The SUTI is the inspection vehicle that will be physically inspected usually in Canberra and following a successful inspection the compliance plates can start to be issued. Looks like we need to wait until a bit longer yet.

Sad to see only the LR and Dual motor on the compliance application though. Sure they will add the SR in later.View attachment 412793 View attachment 412794
Amazing pictures @Bullet1 I think your pictures may end up in the press over the coming days.

The author of the above article "there-are-at-5x-tesla-model-3s-in-australia-already" (by Jason Cartwright) queried the white tape on one of the vehicles: "What is unknown is why the Model 3 in the first photo (above) has a number of pieces of white tape on its body. These are located in fairly random locations, including under the front headlight, under the side indicator and under the rear door handle".

These might be to provide a reference for the RVD1 measurements:
Vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch opening at unladen mass.
Vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch opening at full bump.
Minimum acceptable vertical measurement wheel centre to top of wheel arch.

any other ideas?

5824C14F-20B6-47D8-AB4C-9700690D6E93.jpeg
The article states that Brisbane had white LHD M3 for viewing, but the one I saw in Brisbane was silver and the one on the picture there is silver. So I wonder if they had another go through Brisbane that was white or did they just make a mistake?

The silver was the only one. Exposure makes it look whitish in the photo in the article. I went there multiple times up until Xmas to calm my model 3 anticipation, and check out the v9 software updates.... and play Atari nerding it up

Last edited:
It is possible that those 2 were RHD models but the likelihood is very low as the first couple of RHD VIN-s were registered just at the beginning of March, but I doubt they would have been manufactured and shipped to AUS in less than 3 weeks combined.
New VIN Registrations Reveal That The RHD Tesla Model 3 Is Coming! | CleanTechnica
Not necessarily. Tesla could have made the cars then got the VINs just prior to shipping. 3 weeks is long enough to ship them here. Also with Tesla cranking out 6000-7000 Model 3s per week, the manufacturing bit wouldn't take long since the tooling up would have been planned ahead of time.

• Informative
Reactions: rohan_aus
On a more serious note. There’s a bunch of cheap-ish Model S’s for sale now. And I assume once the 3 is out a few people will offload their S’s for a 3 for any number of reasons so we should see a further drop in S prices. The old S’s have a lot to offer as a car. So if the 3’s come in too expensive there’s a real option to pick up and S for a bit cheaper.

There’s currently a few S’s under $80K for sale and I always thought an 85 for 85K was a good price point. But they’re under than now and going lower.

Despite all the evidence, still holding out hope that SR+ will be available to order from day 1 as believe it was in the UK launch.
If not after 1152 days so far since putting down reservation , what's another hundred or so days
I was wondering if the reason behind putting only LR versions on the initial compliance might be because they will initially open only long range available for us that are manufactured in USA. Once the GF3 in China starts producing might bring the SR and SR+ from China here. That would bring the price of those lower models down considerably and allow them to be sold cheaper here.

Reactions: tom_kauf
So three Sundays have passed, as has the 28th. Are the prognostications that the Configurator is opening “imminently” comparable to those doomsayers in the CBD with the sandwich boards that say “the world is about to end”? :p
Given that the SUTI date on the RVD1 is noted as June 1 (Saturday seems strange though) I don't think TESLA will open the configurator until after the inspection is completed. Maybe Sunday June 2.

I was wondering if the reason behind putting only LR versions on the initial compliance might be because they will initially open only long range available for us that are manufactured in USA. Once the GF3 in China starts producing might bring the SR and SR+ from China here. That would bring the price of those lower models down considerably and allow them to be sold cheaper here.

That's my view as well. China is closer to most of the RHD markets and production costs will be lower than US. Its not that hard to set up a RHD production line as there are only a few modifications (steering etc) to change to RHD. The M3 was designed to make production of RHD models straightforward.

I assume once the 3 is out a few people will offload their S’s for a 3 for any number of reasons so we should see a further drop in S prices. The old S’s have a lot to offer as a car. So if the 3’s come in too expensive there’s a real option to pick up and S for a bit cheaper.
Maybe, but many people think the S is a boat and I tend to agree with them. Way too big for my liking. Even if it was the same price as a Model 3, I would buy a Model 3. But I might be an outlier.

Maybe, but many people think the S is a boat and I tend to agree with them. Way too big for my liking. Even if it was the same price as a Model 3, I would buy a Model 3. But I might be an outlier.
I don't think you are an outlier on this. I looked into MS when it came out even though it was out of my price range, I found that it will not fit in my garage. I, like many others have a single garage and my house was built at the end of 90-s where most houses from that time that I have visited appear to have garage that is too small for MS. So my only option with Tesla is M3 even if MS would be cheaper price.

I think this is very unlikely. AFAIK, most factories in China are designated for domestic production or export production. Since Tesla's main reason for opening the factory is for China domestic production, I doubt they will export anything.

I don't think you are an outlier on this. I looked into MS when it came out even though it was out of my price range, I found that it will not fit in my garage. I, like many others have a single garage and my house was built at the end of 90-s where most houses from that time that I have visited appear to have garage that is too small for MS. So my only option with Tesla is M3 even if MS would be cheaper price.
I was house-hunting and had to give up on 3 different places because the garage was too small.

Calling the model S a Boat is a bit harsh, it has a low centre of gravity, Barge is a more appropriate term.

I think this is very unlikely. AFAIK, most factories in China are designated for domestic production or export production. Since Tesla's main reason for opening the factory is for China domestic production, I doubt they will export anything.
Tesla has already announced that the GF3 will produce for China and greater China region (not sure how far that stretches). They have confirmed that GF3 production will be supplying India. I don't know if they consider India or other countries in the greater China region export? All higher trim models will still be made in USA.