Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That assumption might not hold water totally as Tesla at current has already registered ~280 VIN-s with RHD and USA manufacturing. They also stated that the high end models will be made for all markets in USA and only cheaper end model 3-s will be made in China for greater China region. China factory should start first test runs in September-October and production in November-December, so the RHD models available before that will need to all come from USA.

Plus China is a LHD market, so makes zero sense for them not to produce LHD models there.

Aus is fine for me too (I’ve been checking through the day with fingers crossed) - sometimes the cookies for tesla can get stuck on a non-Aus site, it did for me after I was browsing the UK site model 3 - just needed to select country and flip back to Aus.
There is no australian flag option to flick back to. Have you tried clearing your cache and see what happens? I havnt been browsing other country pages on the tesla website in months.

Unfortunately nothing has changed for me either, same re-direct to reserve page.

Come on, how hard would it be to put the order page up, sure we know we'll be whinging when the delivery date gets pushed out too, but we expected that (and have been conditioned to wait).

I think we're going to have to wait until the morning of Tuesday 4 June for the config to open.
Having had business dealings with US companies on the West Coast, my reasoning is:
The config can't open until after the SUTI date of Sat 1 June.
The config page and decision to go live is driven from the factory in Fremont, California.(i can't see such a global site having any Australian input)
California is 16 hours behind us, so assuming office hours of 0800-1600, the config page goes live overnight on Monday night or, more likely, during the sweet spot on our Tuesday morning 0800-1000 when it's 1500-1700 Monday afternoon over there.

I think we're going to have to wait until the morning of Tuesday 4 June for the config to open.
Having had business dealings with US companies on the West Coast, my reasoning is:
The config can't open until after the SUTI date of Sat 1 June.
The config page and decision to go live is driven from the factory in Fremont, California.(i can't see such a global site having any Australian input)
California is 16 hours behind us, so assuming office hours of 0800-1600, the config page goes live overnight on Monday night or, more likely, during the sweet spot on our Tuesday morning 0800-1000 when it's 1500-1700 Monday afternoon over there.
We have seen many changes to Australian site and otherwise from Tesla happen on Sundays before, so I do not believe it being a weekend will affect that change going live. It may be affected by other factors like a large backlog of orders from UK, they need to start clearing? Or delays in the volume production on RHD models, as they still have not registered more VIN-s for the RHD models?

I know this might be slightly off topic but if China did export to Australia do you think we’d see a cheaper price than getting them from the USA?
Yes, potentially close to half price.

Elon in the last Earnings Call: "We can now build a 2nd Generation Model 3 Line in China, that we expect will be at least 50% cheaper per unit than our Model 3 related Lines in Freemont and at Gigafactory 1"

EDIT: And cheaper Freight costs.
The US factories are robot-heavy, which is a high initial cost but saves labour costs. China could have a good mix of robots and manual labour. It's no secret that one 1st-world employee (even fairly low-wage auto workers) gets in 1 hour what 8-10 Chinese workers get.

Last edited: