Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the Queensland Superhighway points have 50kW CCS DC chargers and 2x Type 2 sockets - b.y.o leads. So I've ordered this from Aliexpress so if and when I turn up to a point and the DC charger is broken or busy I can still get 11kW from the Type 2.

And one of these. Its small, light and cheap.

I'm building an OpenEVSE for my house so I'll be able to turn the HPWC into a portable 3 phase 11kw solution, I hope.

Feel free to mock me for plugging home made and chinesium bits into my $90k car o_O:D

Great suggestions. I look forward to your reviews on those AliExpress items when they arrive and you've used them. I love AliExpress because of their generous returns policy for faulty goods. I mean they're all made in the same Chinese factory. :confused:

Also let us know how the OpenEVSE goes. What's the added benefit doing this when most of their advertised features (e.g. limiting charge rate) should be available in the Tesla app?

I am in Melbourne Eastern suburbs, and have looked closely at all my local charging points. They are basically one of 4 types

- Chargers with Type 2 or Mennekes socket but no cable. For these you will need to buy a Type 2 to type 2 cable.
-

2 quick questions while we’re distracting with acc’s discussions: where is the #3 in the East where you need to supply a cable? Haven’t seen that one. And which/where did you get your J1772 adapter from as that seems like the handiest of them.

I am in Melbourne Eastern suburbs, and have looked closely at all my local charging points. They are basically one of 4 types
- Tesla destination chargers - these have a Type 2 or Mennekes plug on the the end of a cable, and plug straight in to a M3
- CCS2 fast chargers (including Tesla superchargers)- not many but a few,. these have a CCS2 plug on the end of a cable and also plug straight in to a M3, nothing else needed
- Chargers with Type 2 or Mennekes socket but no cable. For these you will need to buy a Type 2 to type 2 cable.
- Chargers with Type 1 or J1772 plug on the end of a cable - for these you need to buy a J1772 to Type 2 converter.

I have bought these last 2, and should cover all use in the metro area, and will keep them in the boot. There is one #3 close by and 2 of #4 fairly close also.

. You can also buy 3 phase and 15A plugs for the UMC that you get with the car if you travel in more regional areas, or loan them from Tesla Owners Club of Australia if you join them.

When you purchase a Tesla 3 a street charge cable comes free as well a type 2 home wall connecter box which will need to be installed by an electrician and a basic three pin plug type 1 connecter.

Also let us know how the OpenEVSE goes. What's the added benefit doing this when most of their advertised features (e.g. limiting charge rate) should be available in the Tesla app?

The main point is that it can limit the cars charge rate to match your solar output, grid feedin or almost any other parameter you could care for.

This way it can effectively be an energy diverter that can make sure the car is charged from energy from your own roof and not the grid.

When you purchase a Tesla 3 a street charge cable comes free as well a type 2 home wall connecter box which will need to be installed by an electrician and a basic three pin plug type 1 connecter.

As I understand it model 3s won't come with a type2 to type2 cable in Australia. Only the HPWC and UMC (with only the 10A 240V tail).

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3 and m4rtin
2 quick questions while we’re distracting with acc’s discussions: where is the #3 in the East where you need to supply a cable?

Forest Hill Chase shopping centre and also Knox Civic Centre right next to Knox City.

And which/where did you get your J1772 adapter from as that seems like the handiest of them.

evchargers.com.au. Great service. Join TOCA first and get a 10% discount though.

Rob Dickinson on twitter just reported Tesla NZ unofficially (rumour) quoting leaving this week and arriving New Zealand 2nd week August. We have heard this type of thing before from random Tesla staff. Could be pure guessing on their part.

Rob Dickinson on Twitter

Glovis Safety is at Benicia in sfo, not at port 80. Could be unloading or loading.
Triumph Ace is heading to sfo, due tomorrow

At port 80 -
Both LHD, and RHD vehicles have been spotted on the pier
A very large number are black interiors and non performance
Glovis Safety is off to Japan. No Teslas from Port 80

Triumph Ace is the next best ship on way to SFO

Glovis Safety is off to Japan. No Teslas from Port 80

Triumph Ace is the next best ship on way to SFO

There is the possibility that a car carrier ("Tysla" - yes, that name!) is heading for Zeebrugge with Teslas from the east coast US (railed to Baltimore). This may increase the chances of a shipment of RHD our way from the west coast by roro, but I'm still doubtful on volume required for a dedicated ship. More VINs are still required for existing UK orders, still may be a way off yet...hope to be wrong.

Takes forever from arrival in the country to delivery; can be over a month.
My model S last year took 1 month and 10 days from US departure to Adelaide delivery, 4 days before the stated end of month time on the configurator.
My model S 3 years before that took 1 day more for the same journey.
Tesla practices may be different with model 3, however my most recent model S was on the water within 4 days of being built.

Fairly certain the journey time is only two weeks, so if the delivery date is end of July the cars would not have departed yet. Typically the boats stop at nz on the way (or at least the ones carrying my tesla’s always have) so you may have more luck searching for ships that are travelling to nz.

I’m waiting for my Model 3 here in NZ. I got told yesterday that our cars are scheduled to leave USA later this week and deliveries expected in the second week of August. Ship goes NZ then Aussie so third week in August seems logical for first Aussie deliveries. Not sure what that means in terms of vessels.

• Helpful
Reactions: jgdc
!!! This is a pretty important post. Waiting on a Blue M3P here in Melbourne and the wait is killing me.

It is always nice to see another person that has ordered a Blue M3P. At least we know that we are not a unicorn order and may actually be in the first wave.

As per my previous post on accessories for the M3 from the Tesla shop USA I can tell you that the blue paint repair kit and the roof sunshade are on the way. The key fob and cosmetic 18" wheel hubs are not - eta another 3 weeks.

It is always nice to see another person that has ordered a Blue M3P. At least we know that we are not a unicorn order and may actually be in the first wave.

As per my previous post on accessories for the M3 from the Tesla shop USA I can tell you that the blue paint repair kit and the roof sunshade are on the way. The key fob and cosmetic 18" wheel hubs are not - eta another 3 weeks.
Jus make sure you by the key fob locally. They seem to be region locked according to what Tesla told me ( BTW has everyone ordered the Blue M3P.. , I hope they made enough to go around )

Civic M3.jpg
Jus make sure you by the key fob locally. They seem to be region locked according to what Tesla told me ( BTW has everyone ordered the Blue M3P.. , I hope they made enough to go around )

I'll test out the 'region locked' claim when I get it... and the car... I guess do need the car to actually test it.

Yes, everyone on this forum has made the actually logical choice and ordered the M3P in blue without the cosmetic performance upgrade. The ultimate sleeper. Half of us have ordered a Honda badge for the back so it looks like a pretty blue ICE shopping trolley until it takes off faster than many super-cars.***

Regards,
JC

*** I'm joking. There will be many different orders across the spectrum due to what we all like. Having said that there is a M3P that is kicking around the US with Honda Civic badges on it and causes much hilarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: jontyh