Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they let the consumer comply with this via switching - I guess you will trigger the breaker if you dont.

The rules simply say you can't run two loads at once, that is really it, I've read much of the SA Power documentation about it. So yes, they let you control loads to limit to one at a time.

The install manual for the WC is here .. Installation Manuals - Wall Connector Not sure if it answers your question.

Thanks, I have read it and it covers the obvious single or three phase cases, but not connecting only 2 phases. It does show a wall charger internal wiring diagram which shows each phase going into the car, the wall charger really just can switch each one and monitor them, so implies it could be possible to send it 2 phases. But to me seems very likely the wall charger or car will throw an error if they see only 2 phases not 3, really unusual thing to do, but we'll see!

I currently switch between peak (excess solar) and CL using a Raspberry Pi which controls the various loads using contactors (Din rail 25Amp with 12V switching). The Pi can both control and monitor loads, including stuff like the hot water temperature. I plan to add to this to control the Tesla Wall Charger circuit which actually would allow the full 32Amp single phase if needed (sparky may still say 80% of this only) in my case. I had assumed the regulations would say a total of 32 amps.

Could please please give details on what exact contactors, etc you are using? I'm quite interested

Agreed - I have not seen evidence of anything other than a flat rate plus feedin rate on solar meters in SA. (and I paid a heap to get this dumb meter installed 4 years ago with my solar). You may want to check if an EV charger on its own would enable the install of the controlled load / off peak service. Potential savings are decent in the winter months at least - or if you can't charge during the day even in summer. eg. The difference on a 60kW charge would be around $10 each time.

When I got solar maybe 6 years ago I had a old main 3 phase meter, and seperate single pahse controlled load meter. They simply replaced my main meter with a digital (not really smart) meter, and left the controlled load. SA Power and AGL have both told me that they will replace both now with smart meters and they will stay seperate. No issue keeping controlled load with solar. But maybe if you got a new solar install now the story might be different. EV's are allowed on controlled load, so can't see why you couldn't order a new controlled load meter if you don't have one already. You don't even have to tell SA Power or the retailer if you change what load you have on it, I asked a very knowledgeable tech at SA Power (not the call center). It is just not legal to run other things on it. Savings are significant for me all year round, but for others that may depend a bit on the solar feed in they get from the government, if any.

Agreed - I have not seen evidence of anything other than a flat rate plus feedin rate on solar meters in SA. (and I paid a heap to get this dumb meter installed 4 years ago with my solar).

Well as above, I have it and no one even has an issue upgrading my meters to smart, and the current single phase controlled load meter to 3 phase smart at the same time. The controlled load does have to be a separate meter it seems.

Ship Status - updated 20 July

Container Ship (Dates are according to ANL schedule)

Melina. Departed Oakland June 22, Departed - Auckland July 18, Sydney July 21 (currently - left Auckland, on way to Sydney)
ANL Tongala Departed Oakland July 1, Arrive - Auckland July 23, Sydney July 27 (currently entering South Pacific)
Seoul Express Departed Oakland July 8, Arrive - Auckland Aug 2, Sydney Aug 9 (currently just left Long beach, on way to Auckland)
Cap Capricorn Departed Oakland July 12, Arrive - Auckland Aug 5, Sydney Aug 16 (currently anchored off Long Beach for a while)
Kota Ekspres. Departs Oakland July 21, Arrive - Auckland Aug 14, Sydney Aug 23 (date change. currently heading to Oakland)
Brotonne Bridge . Departs Oakland July 26, Arrive - Auckland Aug 20, Sydney Aug 30
ANL Warrnambool. Departs Oakland Aug 7, Arrive - Auckland Sep 3, Sydney Sep 7
Mercur Ocean. Departs Oakland Aug 9 , Arrive - Auckland Sep 2, Sydney Sep 13
Melina. Departs Oakland Aug 16, Arrive - Auckland Sep 9, Sydney Sep 20

For those tracking RoRo (none of these have destinations, and yes, none are on Auckland arrival schedule). All are likely going to Tesla pier 80 SFO. (Previous ships have left for Belgium, and China)

Cosco Tengfei (currently docked at pier 80) - going to China. Leaving pier in next 24 hours.
Glovis Champion (due 21 July)
Glovis Prime (due 25 July)
SFL Conductor (due 25 July)

Reactions: BarnabySydney
Well as above, I have it and no one even has an issue upgrading my meters to smart, and the current single phase controlled load meter to 3 phase smart at the same time. The controlled load does have to be a separate meter it seems.
Is that limitation of requirement for a separate meter for controlled load because of the main being 3-phase and controlled being 1-phase or is this something about regulations in SA? My house has only single phase power with an 80A main fuse and when they added controlled load and time of use tariffs, they put this single meter in for me that does all metering including controlled load and time of day usage and my solar feed in:
The Meter appears to be EDMI Atlas Mk7A
https://www.edmi-meters.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Mk7A-Factsheet-English.pdf
And since it was installed by Energex, I suspect they are approved and allowed to be used in QLD.

@Vostok f'ing AGL, I wouldn't touch the company with a ten foot barge-pole...go Diamond or PowerShop.
Yeah, well I switched to AGL a few years ago mainly because Andy Vesey “got” renewables and was prepared to make the big calls to get out of coal (albeit over a long timeframe) and told more than one politician to shove their coal fetish up their you-know-what. But he’s no longer there. And even switching to AGL was a painful insight into their customer service. They might get one more chance but I think their goose is cooked with me.

I have an issue with PowerShop and how Greenpeace rate them as the “greenest” energy retailer. All PowerShop do is carbon offset the electricity they sell. While that is better than nothing, I see that as the option of last resort when there is no other solution. It is trying to fix the problem after the horse has bolted. But of course electricity can be generated cleanly, so in my view if PowerShop were being genuinely “green” they would only sell 100% renewable. Their 100% green power rates are ridiculous and its not clear if you do that you also stop paying the carbon offset premium.

I’ve never heard of Diamond.

The electricity number should be close, this is using full priced power at 23c per kwh. 250 watt hour per mile, add 10% for charging losses, covert to watt hour per km = 171. Multiplied all out it comes to $589.53 to drive 15000 km.

Also regarding using off peak power I rang our power company to enquire about getting off peak added as we have gas an don't have off peak. They asked what's it for, I said it's to charge an electric car. They said that an electric car is not approved for connection to the off peak supply, only water heaters. She wasn't certain about this but she was fairly sure. This is in NSW - it might be different elsewhere.
That is not correct.
Electric car chargers are specifically mentioned in AusGrids documentation, with the proviso that they are “hardwired” onto the off grid circuit.
I read this with my own eyes two weeks ago, and had my charger wired into the off peak circuit at my new place last week.

Reactions: T3SLA3
I have an issue with PowerShop
I was with Powershop for a few years, but I changed to Red Energy six months ago. The big issue I had with Powershop was that I had to prepay for Powerpacks to get a discount. I did the analysis on Red and it actually worked out cheaper than Powershop and I don't have to worry about logging in all the time (I have 10kW of solar + PW2, so export a lot, as well as charging my S for 7 months of the year)

On the Homelink topic, I think the reason Tesla doesn't offer/promote it (it is installed on S/X) is that most of the garage door systems here aren't compatible. There is another forum topic on making it work, and by adding a third party remote control to say a B&D controller you can get it to work. I've successfully got it to auto close when I leave and auto open when I approach and use it all the time. I find it to be great

That is not correct.
Electric car chargers are specifically mentioned in AusGrids documentation, with the proviso that they are “hardwired” onto the off grid circuit.
I read this with my own eyes two weeks ago, and had my charger wired into the off peak circuit at my new place last week.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and have been in touch with Endeavour Energy who are our providers here. So far I have non specific answers from them about connecting to time of use and changing to a smart meter which I do not want.

My comment about a page back was a reference to peak and off peak. I wasnt referring to controlled load. To my knowledge with new solar meters in SA you cannot have peak and off peak. Controlled load under a different meter isnt something I’m eligable for as I dont have electric hot water. Burnside village has two destination chargers, as does the airport main carpark on level 2.
Just to finish this one off, thomasw is correct, SA Power Networks have presented at the Australian Electric Vehicle Association a number of times, and EV charging is an allowed load for Controlled Load (now revised upto 32 Amps for the EV charging). To get it installed, get your electrician to install a Controlled Load Isolator Circuit Breaker in the meter box. Most will refer to it as a J Tariff Isolator. The electrician should leave a "tail" on it. Then SA Power Networks comes and connects the tail into the meter, reprograms the meter to include the new controlled load tariff, and sends the details back into the system for the retailer. When discussing this with your retailer, sometimes its easier to say you want to have a J tariff. Most of the newer meters can have this extra tariff programmed in. Note it does get a bit more complex if SA Power Networks do not own the meter.

Can someone check my maths here. According to my calculations it is cheaper for me to buy a Tesla Model 3 for 73k and sell it after five years than it would be to keep my current car and sell it after five years. It almost seems impossible.

My current car is a BMW 1 Series, which is a fantastic little car and so far has been the best car I've ever owned (beating even in the past a Subaru WRX and a convertible BMW 335i).

If I keep my current car which is worth about 17k and sell it in five years for about 8k then it has cost me 9k to own it for five years.

For the Tesla Model 3 the calculations are..

Buy Tesla Model 3 amount = $73310, position = -$73310
Sell current car for$17000, position -$56310
Save on tax over 5 years $12943, position -$43367
Save on fuel over 5 years $6052, position -$37315
Save servicing over 5 years $4000, position -$33315
Sell Tesla Model 3 after 5 years $35555, position +$2241

So with my current car I am $9000 in the hole after five years and with the Model 3 I am $2200 up.

Calculations..
Save on tax is logbook for 90 days and probably 70% business use. I work from home and have to travel a fair bit.
Save on fuel is based on driving 15000km each year which in the BMW will cost $1800 in fuel and in the Tesla $600 in electricity.
Selling price is based on a report which estimates that a Tesla Model 3 will be worth 48.5% of it's purchase price after five years.
one thing a lot of people forget to add to their budget is the extra insurance that comes with owning a $70k car, especially a Tesla. Add ~ $1k a year for this.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this and have been in touch with Endeavour Energy who are our providers here. So far I have non specific answers from them about connecting to time of use and changing to a smart meter which I do not want.
You are within moments of being at the bottom of this! Rejoice!

Endeavour Energy are just retailers, and have nothing to do with your power supply. The power is supplied by AusGrid and they make the rules. For off-peak (Controlled Load) connections the specific rule is:

B.4.1 Electric vehicle charging Controlled load tariffs are available for the charging of electric vehicles where an electric vehicle special plug/ socket arrangement – example SAE J1772 (non-standard plug/socket outlet) is used on the vehicle end and the charging equipment or cable is hard-wired on the supply end; or alternatively where an electric vehicle special plug/ socket arrangement – example SAE J1772 (non-standard plug/socket outlet) is used on the vehicle end and on the charging equipment, with a special cable to connect the vehicle to the charger.

This is the full document:
https://www.ausgrid.com.au/-/media/Documents/Technical-Documentation/ES/ES7-Network-Price-Guide.pdf

Could please please give details on what exact contactors, etc you are using? I'm quite interested

No problem. Ill write up a parts list. If you have some IT and basic electronics skills its not too difficult. It does take up a bit of space in the meter box so I built up a second one for the sparky to wire in to the main one. Took me days ... took him an hour :) If you have a Tesla powerwall then you have a nice simple way to pick up home usage / grid usage / solar generation / battery state, which provides the info needed to make (or automate) decisions on when to charge and so on.

I wasn’t even discussing the price of insurance and where best to get it I simply stated that he forgot to include it in his “savings” compared to his $17k 1 series
He did mention his previous cars were Subaru WRX and a convertible BMW 335i and current was BMW 1 series but did not clarify exactly which one as those at top end get over 60k also and the insurance can go to very similar prices also depending if you shop around. I would even suspect the convertible BMW would be higher than Tesla M3 for insurance. So there most likely is no notable difference or savings from insurance making omission of that just because they do not affect the savings or spending.

To get it installed, get your electrician to install a Controlled Load Isolator Circuit Breaker in the meter box. Most will refer to it as a J Tariff Isolator. The electrician should leave a "tail" on it. Then SA Power Networks comes and connects the tail into the meter, reprograms the meter to include the new controlled load tariff, and sends the details back into the system for the retailer. When discussing this with your retailer, sometimes its easier to say you want to have a J tariff. Most of the newer meters can have this extra tariff programmed in. Note it does get a bit more complex if SA Power Networks do not own the meter.

Or if you already have J Tariff / controlled load installed then the EV charger needs to be wired in with a changeover switch (either hot water or EV) apparently. I already have 3 phase solar with a not so smart meter (cost me about $800), plus controlled load with an old disk meter.
Given that its up to the end user to switch between the controlled load "loads" I dont understand how people will do this unless it is online / computer controlled (as mine will be). Forget to switch back from car charging = no water heating!

Is that limitation of requirement for a separate meter for controlled load because of the main being 3-phase and controlled being 1-phase or is this something about regulations in SA?

I don't know, I am sure there are 3 phase meters available that do 3 phase controlled load, but SA Power just seems to do it with a separate meter. Couldn't tell you why.

Just to finish this one off, thomasw is correct, SA Power Networks have presented at the Australian Electric Vehicle Association a number of times, and EV charging is an allowed load for Controlled Load (now revised upto 32 Amps for the EV charging). To get it installed, get your electrician to install a Controlled Load Isolator Circuit Breaker in the meter box. Most will refer to it as a J Tariff Isolator. The electrician should leave a "tail" on it. Then SA Power Networks comes and connects the tail into the meter, reprograms the meter to include the new controlled load tariff, and sends the details back into the system for the retailer. When discussing this with your retailer, sometimes its easier to say you want to have a J tariff. Most of the newer meters can have this extra tariff programmed in. Note it does get a bit more complex if SA Power Networks do not own the meter.

To to be clear - 32A per phase, so you can run 3 phase and draw only about 15A per phase to charge a Model 3 at full rate.
Do you know if the controlled load time change be changed remotely on a smart meter? As in adding the 10am-3pm solar sink time? or do they have to come out?

No problem. Ill write up a parts list. If you have some IT and basic electronics skills its not too difficult. It does take up a bit of space in the meter box so I built up a second one for the sparky to wire in to the main one.

I have run my own IT Business for 20 years, and always dabbled in electronics too. Would love it if you can't send me some basic details of what you are using, don't need to spend ages on full details.
I'm not sure in the end if it is worth it for me. I'll be able to charge the car at full 11kw 11pm-7am and 10am-3pm, so more than half to the day. And I don't do long trips much. So I doubt I'll ever really need to charge from peak power. But I'm interested anyway in what you've got and what else it does with monitoring. I've got some potential issues though with things like this because my meter box is away from my house, about to be mounted on a shed and the car will be in there. But the house is separate with its own circuit box. So means monitoring everything properly requires doing it at both locations.

Or if you already have J Tariff / controlled load installed then the EV charger needs to be wired in with a changeover switch (either hot water or EV) apparently. I already have 3 phase solar with a not so smart meter (cost me about $800), plus controlled load with an old disk meter.
Given that its up to the end user to switch between the controlled load "loads" I dont understand how people will do this unless it is online / computer controlled (as mine will be). Forget to switch back from car charging = no water heating!

I have not seen a requirement to run a changeover switch, nothing in the SA power docuentnation about it being a requirement, but jsut that you can't run two at once. I have just install a 16A sonoff wifi switch on my hot water, to schedule it and monitor usage. I am probably thinking I'll run it during the day in the 10am-3pm controlled load time only, and charge the car at night. Or maybe even car from 11pm-4am would probably be plenty 99% of the time, and HW from 4am-7am.
But yes, you are right that without getting a little tricky like this it is hard for most people to run a EV and HW on controlled load. Even getting a Australian certified wifi switch that will cope with a HW heater is hard, sonoff was the only one I could find.

The only easy way for most people that I can think of would be to run 3 phase controlled load with HW on one phase, and EV on another (or maybe both of the other two phases, but as I've said before that probably won't work), but that means limiting your EV charging to about 7kw.

DSK1 - I don't suppose you are looking at building a Rasberry Pi TeslaUSB system?
I'm not sure how worthwhile it will be in the end for me, but I'm tempted to just out of interest!
Would prefer to be able to keep all dashcam footage (not that TeslaUSB quite does this yet, but should be hard for it to keep all and not the last 60mins) and sentry footage and sync it to a PC at home automatically.
marcone/teslausb