Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 5.20.17 pm.png

Please Tesla no! in an out in 5-minutes please, show id, sign the paperwork, pair the phone, drive-away...under 5-minutes if possible...

For those Aussies who were planning to have their custom plates put on the M3 before picking it up, this is not going to be a service that Tesla will offer to us. Yes, they do it elsewhere but have decided not to do it in AU because of the volume of cars they have to deliver. This information I received from Tesla.

The trouble with this is that I have received information from Tesla which says they WILL attach custom plates if we have them.

So like all things with this process, we’ll only find out the truth when the cars are ready for collection...

The trouble with this is that I have received information from Tesla which says they WILL attach custom plates if we have them.

So like all things with this process, we’ll only find out the truth when the cars are ready for collection...
When filling in the new info on the NZ site, there was an option for custom plates. But I don't have them so can't say any more about it.

Regarding exchange rates... yes the AUD is looking sick and Tesla could conceivably raise AUD pricing as a result. But equally Tesla might not do that, or they might do another price drop in the USA which offsets any exchange rate variation the other way here.

In short, the future cannot be predicted. You might get lucky. You might not get lucky. Ordering now solely because you think the price might rise is not necessarily the right choice, especially if you were hanging out for different options not currently available.

• Informative
Reactions: tom_kauf
And when I went in to my local Tesla store two weeks ago to ask about custom platea, I was told yes, it's fine and to make sure they have the plate before delivery day.

We can't go around quoting this information as goapel. It could be different per state or it could be just plain wrong. We won't know yet

Well said, I think it varies based on the state. For example no sense in paying 175 in VIC for slimline plates just to make them personalised.

Because I am registering in ACT, Tesla has no presence there and will provide me with a Tax Invoice and I have to go do the rest. -- according to them, and I am happy to do this as well. I have the option of collection in either Sydney or home delivery in Canberra.

You'll get fined in Victoria if you don't display your front licence plate....

"But Officer, you must understand, I would have had to wait 5 minutes to attach them at the pick up location...5 WHOLE MINUTES!".

"I completely understand, just get them on when you start your next charge cycle. Have a good day.". And then he/she drives off in the new Vic Police Model X. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Random206
I am with @paulp on this one. Elon is very optimistic with his timeframe and he may have a point that he can get this tech to work, however even Elon has mentioned that they are aiming to get this legalized in the US some time in 2020, however EU will take longer because of the legal hurdles there. He has not mentioned AU because our legislation in that would lag way behind EU and the rest of the world. Now looking at best case Tesla gets this technical and software side sorted with feature complete by end of 2019, then enough distance driven to make software safer than humans in all cases of driving some time in 2020. They might get this legislation through in US in 2020-2021, then another couple of years until EU legalizes this getting to 2022-23. Considering the options available in US and EU currently and not available in AU, AU will take another few years before they start looking at legalizing it here, so we are realistically not looking at FSD here before 2025. Once they can be legally used here, it should not take long to get the robo-taxi fleet running, but the car you buy now will be 5-6 years old at least and we cannot be sure our current cars will be capable of self plugging in for charging as that has not been deployed yet so that may be coming in the next iterations of the cars (there are competing projects with robotic arms plugging cars in for charging to wireless charging with cars driving over a charger plates). We don't even know how long the legislation here would take for the robo-taxi options as there may be extra hurdles there from government.

Sorry for not being more specific in my earlier response to your post.

The PWC boffins have actually run a cost benefit analysis on various forms of regulatory models that might be implemented for autonomous cars in Australia. The full report is here:

https://www.ntc.gov.au/Media/Reports/(22F3F874-69F0-92FE-EEBD-C199F9D0697D).pdf

Just some numbers to highlights from the report:

The benefits of automated vehicles – the roll-out automated vehicles is expected to bring about significant benefits in terms of accident avoidance, productivity gains, fuel savings, congestion avoidance and benefits to the wider economy. The report draws on a number of studies and has found the average benefits to Australia could be as high as $80 billion per year (when high-level automated vehicles are fully adopted).

The cost of a delay in the roll-out of automated vehicles – the regulatory optionsalone won’t deliver the benefits associated with automated vehicles, but they could bringforward or delay realising these benefits – either by incentivising or disincentivising the supply-of or demand-for automated vehicles. In this study, the estimated costs of a one- year delay in realising these benefits is $5.2 billion to $10.4 billion (0ver 20 years).

Even though the above numbers have been qualified,, I do not think people will think kindly of a government that delays our society to reap these kind of savings/benefits.

For me, FSD is a key driver for my purchase decision and it is a key plank supporting Tesla's mission which is to move towards sustainable transportation.

Mixed messages out of NZ

1. 1 report from someone living near Tesla Auckland, spotting White cars being transported to the store. Unknown model. If true, this would be from Seoul Express. For all we know it could be Model S, 3, X. Hard to know. Or could be the press cars.
2. Some people have had vins disappear. Not unexpected. UK had this a bit. Probably part of the reason they hide it.
3. 1 person had a vin registered from July 21 - This would mean Brotonne Bridge - July 26 arrival. I would def believe this. It had a long load time.