Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my main issue is that some of my regular trips with LR RWD would not need any charging on the way, but with SR+ I would have to change the route a bit and would need to charge as it wont make it without a charge on route directly. I have not really decided if I will give in and order SR+ or if I can still hold on for a little longer. I suspect that after driving it, it might be even more difficult to wait and that might be the reason they are offering test drives, to push people that are on the edge...
Will have to see how we go.
Using the SC or similar networks on a long trip won't be that inconvenient in a SR v LR. When on your trip it is quicker to only top up enough from a low soc to get to the next charger with a safety buffer than trying to get the most distance from each charge.

Interesting Raspberry Pi project

Using RPI to control current output of a Tesla wall charger
Basically the RPI fakes the master Tesla wall charger
the Tesla wall charger the RPI is controlling is running in slave mode
The RPI can vary the Tesla wall charger output remotely

Web interface, according to you tube video this allows the Tesla wall charger
current output to be controlled by solar output, or manually set current ,
turn off/on, and set schedule

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
Someone who test drove a white Model 3 in Auckland today commented on the NZ Model 3 Facebook page saying that there are cars already in the country... Grain of salt... I asked for his source but no reply. Could be legit as hes been hanging out in and around Tesla today so might have got some inside info.

Just got some information passed on to me - regarding test drives and deliveries in Brisbane.

Test drives
1. Are being offered to reservation holders not yet ordered
2. No model 3 test drive vehicles are in Brisbane yet. Arrival next week
3. First drives looking like next Saturday

Deliveries
1. Given the constraints/space around the Brisbane Tesla store, deliveries are expected to be done in person delivered to you if you live/ delivery location within a certain distance from the store, rather than at any central mass delivery location.

2. Trade-ins would be picked up at this time, and driven away by the deliverer/Tesla employee.

2. Deliveries beyond the personal delivery radius are still being looked at, but car transport delivered to your door is a distinct possibility depending on the situation.

My S reads 102 at 100 kph as checked with GPS.
Australian design rules specify that the indication must be at least 2 kph greater than the actual.
Actually, the Australian Design Rules don’t say that at all.

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006
(5.3) The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1) and the true speed (V2).

0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 x V2 + 4 km/h

So that means that the displayed speed is allowed to be anywhere between the true speed and the true speed plus 10% plus 4 km/h (e.g. it would be legal for a speedo to show 114 km/h if actually travelling at 100 km/h).

So it is absolutely legal for the speedo to display exactly the speed one is travelling at.

• Informative
Reactions: tobygriffin
People have started getting calls on the east coast for test drives in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne - seems to be existing Tesla owners, reservation holders not ordered.
No phone calls yet for me :D

In any event, I probably would not take up the offer of a test drive. I understand that one has to pay a bond to do so, essentially the ‘excess’ for their insurance policy, so that if there is an at-fault accident, Tesla is not out of pocket.

While of course no-one would take a test drive and plan or expect to have an at-fault accident, stuff happens, and I’d rather not be $4k out of pocket or whatever the excess is if stuff did happen.

Happy for someone to tell me that is not correct and no bond needs to be paid.

CA838094-E5CB-4AE3-8178-3BA711F9C981.png D2693257-7968-4A36-970D-65F2B7DFB046.png
She’s motoring in right now... still doubt this has our first batch based on the vin numbers and production dates.

I’m not sure what happened with Seoul last night- she docked at 23:10, but moved out to anchorage again at 00:22 this morning..

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
No phone calls yet for me :D

In any event, I probably would not take up the offer of a test drive. I understand that one has to pay a bond to do so, essentially the ‘excess’ for their insurance policy, so that if there is an at-fault accident, Tesla is not out of pocket.

While of course no-one would take a test drive and plan or expect to have an at-fault accident, stuff happens, and I’d rather not be $4k out of pocket or whatever the excess is if stuff did happen.

Happy for someone to tell me that is not correct and no bond needs to be paid.

nope no bond required, warning don't go for a test drive....

https://i.imgur.com/eFfmdb3.jpg

CF35A153-3E91-41EE-808C-D0BCA73E1852.jpeg
View attachment 439963 View attachment 439961

I’m not sure what happened with Seoul last night- she docked at 23:10, but moved out to anchorage again at 00:22 this morning..

Seoul has moved. Those time are UTC rather than Sydney time so add 10 hours. I witnessed the tugs came out at 8am, and docked just after 8.30am.

.....It has left 3 hours later, and is back at the Botany anchorage. Strange

Port shows now arriving at 6am tomorrow and departure Monday 12pm

View attachment 439965

Seoul has moved. Those time are UTC rather than Sydney time so add 10 hours. I witnessed the tugs came out at 8am, and docked just after 8.30am.

.....It has left 3 hours later, and is back at the Botany anchorage. Strange

Port shows now arriving at 6am tomorrow and departure Monday 12pm

How do you do it Veda?!?

I was almost contemplating driving out to Botany Bay last night, but given the delays I am glad I did not.

Given current weather, and uncertainty as to whether or not there is anything on the Seoul Express, I am too complacent to brave the chilly winds...

However, if there is nothing on the Seoul Express, I might try to get there for the Cap Capricorn. Perhaps there will be some advice for those who tried to see what was happening with the Seoul Express as to from where one has the best vantage point of the relevant dock.

Reactions: Vedaprime
Deliveries
1. Given the constraints/space around the Brisbane Tesla store, deliveries are expected to be done in person delivered to you if you live/ delivery location within a certain distance from the store, rather than at any central mass delivery location.

2. Trade-ins would be picked up at this time, and driven away by the deliverer/Tesla employee.

2. Deliveries beyond the personal delivery radius are still being looked at, but car transport delivered to your door is a distinct possibility depending on the situation.

Thanks heaps Veda. Guessing no word on timing for delivery?

If you watch the ship being unloaded how do you know if there are Model 3’s in the containers?

I think whoever decides to go out to watch a container ship is really looking/wishing/hoping to see a model 3 unloaded from its container, or a car carrier waiting to be loaded or has loaded them, and is desperate for their car even if the chance is tiny. The same folk are watching for any signs, anything online, and have probably visited the Tesla store multiple times.

I think whoever decides to go out to watch a container ship is really looking for a model 3 unloaded from its container, or a car carrier waiting to be loaded or has loaded them, and is desperate for their car. The same folk are watching for any signs, anything online, and have probably visited the Tesla store multiple time.
Just follow where the containers go to, wait for days if you have to.

We must know.