Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't seem to have a problem getting them for Europe and China.

Europe and China are areas that are highly likely to have strong demand. Tesla would have booked capacity for their vehicles a long time in advance. In contrast, if Australia's demand took Tesla by surprise (entirely possible), or if they think that that demand is an initial surge that will drop back to a lower level after initial shipments, they might have made the call to go with containerised shipping to give themselves greater flexibility.

Tesla don't want a large pile of unsold inventory in any given country. Booking a RoRo ship for Australia and NZ so far in advance would have been a very big risk.

I'm curious if you are a reservation holder since 2016 and obviously a very patient person..why did you not order?

Probably waiting for a particular specification that isn't yet available. (LR RWD? Tow bar? Something else?) It could also be that something has come up in the interim and the finances aren't quite there. Plenty of reasons why an individual might not have ordered yet, despite being keen, and it really isn't anybody's concern but the individual's. (And possibly Tesla's, if there's something Tesla can do to get the order in. Certainly not randoms on an Internet forum.)

Reactions: jaykaye
  • Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
@maveric74

Actually when the LR RWD was announced in the US , that was the one I wanted. Background is I have a Volt , great car, love the hatch, (Because its easy to fit MTB in it without removing front wheel) , but I would love a BEV. So if I cant have a hatch at present, then I will look at buying the model 3. So no hatch is "ok" . Then there is the range. Long Range RWD was originally slated for Australia at a cheaper price than the LR AWD. (SR+ isnt enough range for me, and a slight inconvenience charging time wise on longer trips as well. ) So at $23,000 more for a longer range battery, that is the reason I havent "jumped" at the opportunity to be amongst the first to take delivery .. excited at the prospect.. but boy that $23000 extra for the LR battery is a lot ( I know that there are better / more speakers, AWD, faster charging coming etc)
I know I can get the performance if I want to shell out more.
But I just would love a LR which didn't cost $23,000 more (I know that its only 19000 extra for Tesla - rest is additional tax - something around $80 -74k would be ok - would pull the trigger - At present , I have all of my kms electric - with the Volt during the week - but every weekend I drive somewhere - and that uses gas .
haha I wonder what will happen after my test drive though - I will probably try to buy the demo !

Last edited:
Actually when the LR RWD was announced in the US , that was the one I wanted. Background is I have a Volt , great car, love the hatch, but would love a BEV. So if I cant have a hatch at present, then I will look at buying the model 3. So no hatch is "ok" . Then there is the range. Long Range RWD was originally slated for Australia at a cheaper price than the LR AWD. (SR+ isnt enugh range for me, and a slight inconvenience charging time wise on longer trips as well. ) So at $23,000 more for a longer range battery, that is the reason I havent "jumped" at the opportunity to be amongst the first to take delivery .. excited at the prospect.. but boy that $23000 extra for the LR battery is a lot ( I know that there are better / more speakers, AWD, faster charging coming etc)
I know I can get the performance if I want to shell out more.
But I just would love a LR which didnt cost $23,000 more (I know that its only 19000 extra for Tesla - rest is additional tax - something around $80 -74k would be ok - would pull the trigger - At present , I have all of my kms electric with the Volt during the week - but every weekend I drive somewhere - and that uses gas .
haha I wonder what will happen after my test drive though - I will probably try to buy the demo !

Fair enough and well thought out..But all that goes out the window (I'm hazarding a guess) once you do a test drive :)

A21BBE13-6708-4F0C-B14F-8CAD0829FA50.jpeg
Actually, previous boats are not possible due to the vin ranges we now know.

[conspiracy denied]

Beautiful day here at La Perouse
Cap Capricorn is now within AIS Range for Port Botany berthing at 6 Brotherson Dock. Pilot will meet the ship at 11.30am.

Sitting at the tip of Bare Island/La Perouse, eyes fixed at the horizon where I expect the Cap Capricorn to first come into sight (photo attached).

Tbh. Just want to call a spade for what it is.

Tesla could easily have clarified their intentions about who when and where. They have known exactly what they were doing for weeks. This is not the local staff. But it is 3.5 years for many. They have provided appalling communications for ppl who have put up cash on faith and still don't know whether to go to bali. Seriously.
At the same time, I can understand why. It's hard for them to give out dates when they're relying on a ship to arrive. Ships can be delayed for many reasons, as can the unloading of them. They've then got to get the cars out of the containers and In the case of NZ at least, they probably also have to go through fumigation and what not to make sure they're not bringing in anything that could damage our ecosystem (don't want another possum situation ;) ). They'll then have to inspect them all for any damage that might have happened during shipping and the fumigation. Since a lot of that relies on the schedules of third parties it's going to be almost to make give any kind of valid date. From my own experience, even giving out an estimated date on something that is then missed draws more agro then just not saying anything.

I have some media interest in sharing your photos when you are ready. DM me your twitter handle if you are interested, and I can get you both in touch.

Pilot vessel going out to meet CC. CC still not visible from where I am

Happy to share photos - taking more/better shots with SLR camera

Attachments

• E2FF85CE-9CC8-4663-9CBD-570BA7356039.jpeg
    E2FF85CE-9CC8-4663-9CBD-570BA7356039.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 56