Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely chase up Tesla for Homelink by almost any means possible but please save the lawyers for car companies that for the past 100 years have conned the public into buying unreliable vehicles that pollute the city's, suburbs and worst of all the lungs of our citizens.
We should also deal with the hundreds of millions of responsible humans who have formed endless queues to buy these vehicles.

Even if you end up getting it, it won't work here unless you have a Merlin controller. As I mentioned in my other post, Homelink doesn't work on most garage door controllers here (read B&D etc), unless they are Merlin. So Homelink here is kind of academic unless you separately buy a Merlin and hook it into your existing door. That's why Tesla never promoted here for the S and X. I haven't heard of the Homelink hardware being changed for the Aust market, so I still think it won't work by default.
Homelink did not have a licence to operate in australia, which is why it wasnt offered by tesla until last year. My merlin door works with it just fine. Homelink and merlin are both chamberlain brands. My gate needed the module as its not affiliated, which is not expensive or difficult.

I care. I understand the wait until September. I can even understand that they made a mistake by not including the premium connectivity disclaimer that it’s only for one year (although imagine if I forgot to disclaim that can only have my money for 1 year).

But having a feature listed as specifically different between models, not providing that feature and then keeping quiet about it for 3 months until delivery would be pretty poor.

Hopefully it’s included, or hopefully Tesla refunds the $400 cost it would take to install. Failing that, a sorry-we-goofed email.

I agree it’s incredibly minor, but minor things can really suck the fun out of these experiences when you are dealing with fanatics. And if there’s one thing the last 300 pages has shown...
Check out the automation graphic on the M3 web page. It shows a car being summoned out of the garage. I might be going mad, but I’m sure it used to demonstrate the door opening and the car driving out.

I can also confirm that it's extremely rare for an exemption to be approved. I was driving well before that law came around, but I know most people don't bother even anymore applying anymore - it's that unlikely.

The idea behind the exemption was originally for eg. low socioeconomic families with only 1 car (so they aren't disadvantaged by the law). But the problem is, it turned into cashed up youths wanting to get around the rules and drive a turbocharged or V8 car.

Depending on which government employee looks at it, if they have 500 other applications infront of them, they will probably just stamp every one with *Denied* without them even reading it.
If you really need the exemption, it could require multiple follow-ups. And as always, you'll be at the mercy and mood of the bureaucrat.

I don't know all the regulations behind it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they question whether someone could afford an inexpensive 2nd car to drive instead. You might have a good reason for an exemption in every other way, but with a $70k Tesla, you unfortunately fail that requirement.

I'm not sure if you read right back where I was originally talking about this but yeah it's not me who needs the exception it's the missus if she wants to be able to drive it, and even then it wasn't something either of us was overly fussed about it was more something I was curious about.

Like I said earlier she can either put in an exception form and take a chance on getting approved or not, nothing really to lose other than whatever the application costs. Either way I'm not losing sleep over it.

Reactions: tom_kauf
  • Love
Reactions: maveric74
I bought an Outlander PHEV a few years ago whilst waiting for the world to catch up and offer me a choice of EVs

I get to mid 2019 and there is literally nothing coming before at least 2021 that can even get close to the model 3. And that is if the polestar 2 is actually produced and on the roads by then. its already slower and more expensive than the model 3.

People keep talking about established auto catching Tesla, how do they do that when they are moving slower?

I sold my last performance car, a BMW M3 about 8 years ago now, as the Nissan Leaf was about to hit the Australian market. I vowed at the time that I would not buy another performance car until I could get one that was fully electric. I figured at the time that companies like Nissan, who have a history of small sports cars, would soon be dropping the EV equivalent of the 200sx or 350z, Tesla was selling the Roadster, and I had driven the Lotus Elise a head so I knew that it would be nice. Little did I know that it would take this long for a suitable vehicle to hit the market. The closest thing previously was the Model S, but it is far too big to be considered "sporty" as far as I am concerned.

It is absurd how slowly the EV market has developed, and without Tesla, it would not be developing at all.

Now, if only Tesla would call me about my Melbourne delivery!

Homelink did not have a licence to operate in australia, which is why it wasnt offered by tesla until last year. My merlin door works with it just fine. Homelink and merlin are both chamberlain brands. My gate needed the module as its not affiliated, which is not expensive or difficult.
Can we take this whole Homelink discussion to the whinge thread please?