Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 12 volt battery location

If the battery in the Au model 3's are this type there is NOTHING special about it. (apart from the fact that its a Telsa part number) ANY half decent 12v vehicle battery that fits the physical frame of the holder would work for years. No need to ship in batteries from the US. When the battery does die it will be a visit to Battery World or Quick fit.

For any EVs, they do not draw high current on starting the car. As a result, the 12v battery suffers more sulfation in an EV.

Also the constant power drain from electronics (this is not EV specific and happens to many modern vehicles) when the car is parked make it worse.

Therefore, it is recommended to use 12v deep cycle lead acid battery on EVs.

My visible VIN disappeared and appointmed changed from 2nd to 6th. Bryce at Tesla Melbourne then called me. Appointment has been changed from Sep 2nd to Sep 11th! Reason for the delay is they are having to replace the 12V batteries.

Maybe the models aboard the Cap Capricorn were left in sentry mode. I wonder what happens when you leave 500 Tesla's in sentry mode? Do they form a collective?

Checked PDS and no mention there. I might ask them directly and see if it is an issue. RACV seems to be quite advanced in their approach, however, it is definitely worth the question to clarify.

When you requested your quote you were very specifically what the car was going to be used for, private or business. The PDS will have something along
you have a duty of disclosure under the Insurance Contracts Act 1984. If we ask
you questions that are relevant to our decision to insure you and on what terms, you must tell us anything that you know and
that a reasonable person in the circumstances would include in answering the questions.

And some lines about that if you had failed to provide any information that would have impacted their decision to insure you or the premium amount that can decide to pay less or void the insurance as if it never existed.

Fact of the matter, if you do ride sharing, you're also more likely to drive more often, take routes you're unfamiliar with, all things that would lead to an increased risk of accidents.

Dangerous move.

The 12 volt battery in a Tesla is a deep cycle battery - it's designed to have most of its power drained from it before being topped up. Most automotive 12 volt batteries are designed for a short burst of current (to get the motor started), and then nothing - there's very little discharge. If you use a standard, non-deep-cycle 12 volt battery in a Tesla, it'll die in very short order. Might be a month or two, might be longer - it depends on exactly how the car uses the battery - but it'll be much sooner than you'd expect.

Much safer for Tesla to ensure that you drive off with the right battery from the get go.

tbf this isnt unique to tesla. most vehicles with start/stop function and clutched alternators use deep cycle batteries.

tbf this isnt unique to tesla. most vehicles with start/stop function and clutched alternators use deep cycle batteries.
Sure. But Tesla's also had issues in the past with suppliers providing sub-par batteries. Given that history and the short timeframe they have to deliver these vehicles, I can well accept that they would prefer to ship in known good batteries than trust that another supplier's part is up to the job.

Reactions: Sparty93
Ironic yes! I was reading a bit about the 12v as I only vaguely knew there was one in the car. Turns out the Model 3 has a unique battery from the other Tesla’s. My guess is they simply don’t have enough in the country so they are shipping enough over (air most likely). Just speculating. Here is a pretty good article describing the system in detail...

12 Volt Battery Compendium | TeslaTap
I am a little surprised Tesla uses 12v Lead based battery for this that they purchase. Tesla is really good at battery tech, so it would be easy for Tesla to make their own 12v Lithium based battery for this by just using 3x serial - 10x parallel small pack consisting of 30x 2170 cells that would give them 12v 48A pack for this and would last for the life of the car and be lighter than Lead based option and way more reliable and better with deep cycling also.

My charge card does not have a limit but I need to call American Express to let them know I am going go make an expensive purchase.

That's an expensive exercise to just give you an extra 30 days to pay (and you'll still have to pay in full). You're going to pay $1425 to get around $700 worth of points (and that's only if you're willing to buy at David Jones, other merchant point store is utter crap)

I've never understood people so keen to pay with their amex for the sake of earning points. Friend of mine paid $120k with their amex for a pull. "I get so many points that way!!"

That's an expensive exercise to just give you an extra 30 days to pay (and you'll still have to pay in full). You're going to pay $1425 to get around $700 worth of points (and that's only if you're willing to buy at David Jones, other merchant point store is utter crap)

I've never understood people so keen to pay with their amex for the sake of earning points. Friend of mine paid $120k with their amex for a pull. "I get so many points that way!!"

Yeah usually the maths on it doesn't work out.

There may be some other non-numeric reason for wanting to make the purchase on the AMEX. For example, needing to hit the minimum annual spend to maintain that Platinum/Centurion status, apply for annual fee waiver, extended warranty cover/buyer protection etc.

Reactions: MonicaPlease

Actually I have a promo on my Amex Platinum for 5 points per dollar spent now. Usual earn is 2.25. So I will spend $104,900, pay $1573 on the payment fee. Earn 542k points which can be applied as a credit to the account for a rate of 1000pts to $5. I will come out about $1000 ahead.

And I will deduct the cost of the payment fee on taxes. So there you go.