Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I hope we are not forced to have that turned on in Aus..
First date of production when the hardware was in the car September 1st. If your car is already on a ship, your car probably won't have the hardware. :)

Quoting Electrek, quoting an internal Tesla email:

“Starting September 1, 2019, all Model 3 cars built for the US market now come with a Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) to meet US requirements.”

Reactions: Stratman
Sounds like everyone has a "delivery date" of the 30th. I know Tesla books revenue based on actual deliveries but I wonder how that actually works in Australia, wonder if it's just when Tesla PTY pays Tesla USA. That way they could get as many payments as possible over the line.

First date of production when the hardware was in the car September 1st. If your car is already on a ship, your car probably won't have the hardware. :)

Quoting Electrek, quoting an internal Tesla email:

“Starting September 1, 2019, all Model 3 cars built for the US market now come with a Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) to meet US requirements.”
It's just a speaker, anyhow. It could always meet with a screwdriver-shaped "accident".

<quot>
A quick note from Tesla Delivery. We are currently processing a very high volume of orders. We appreciate your continued patience during this busy time and will be in contact to schedule your delivery as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out for the call as it may not display a caller ID.
</quot>
Just got the recent text for LR AWD in sydney white/black
Still #teamVINless though

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong to find my VIN. I've got to my account page, used the VIN finder chrome add on, still getting nothing, despite having a delivery date.

I know someone previously mentioned there was two different urls you could use and one worked but I cant find it anymore..
There are 2 URL-s. Mine does not appear when I click on Manage button and ter the order page with the following URL:
www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RN109107XXX
However if I go to the URL:
www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/product-finalize?rn=RN109107XXX
(You will need to substitute the number at the end of the URL with yours) then search the source of that page, that gives me the VIN.

Brisbane delivery, 30 September
If all goes according to plan, my currently assigned appointment is also 30 Sept @ 10AM, so might see you there :)
Picking up my model S in Brisbane at 10:30 on 30th. If anyone else is around, happy to have a coffee!
I might still be there at the time you get there, Would be happy to have a chat and a coffee (though I will be bringing my son and if he gets bored might have to take him for a drive or get him to play in the car)

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Thanks, Kilak. From a Tesla rep? From a listed Tesla number?
It'd be a whole lot more reassuring for me to get it in an email with a Tesla signature block, wouldn't it.
I'm afraid that's one of my deal breakers with the Model 3.
Just wondering why it is a deal breaker? Because of the potential for the eventual call to be from some form of scammer? If so, you just need to be aware, and to establish mutual identification standards. (Common ones that I use are number of products that I have, serial number of some item, value of last invoice etc. If they will not work with that then ask for a number that is publicly listed on a the corporate website that you can call them back on).

Don't give any information over the phone until you are satisfied that they are genuinely from Tesla, and preferably, nothing even then. Discuss the delivery and ask them to push the invoice to your portal and finance company. Job done.

Many companies misunderstand the spirit of what the privacy legislation is for, particularly banks, and virtually train people that talking to scammers is a good thing, but we need to stand strong!

Reactions: TaylorP
Am I strange in that if they offered me a test drive I'd refuse? 3, S or X.

I want my first electric car drive to be my car ..

Even if the lovely couple across the road from me offered me a ride in their Kona EV, I'd knock it back until I get my car!

I've read enough over the last 3 years to know there is no way I'd drive the car and go 'this is *sugar*!".

I'm sure it'll bug me for a couple of weeks .. creep on or off, regen accelerator (I'm used to coasting and taking foot off accelerator), indicator stalk on the wrong side etc but I'm sure will quickly become accustomed.

I hadn't driven a manual in a few years and had the opportunity to drive one .. it was all 'automatic', didn't miss a beat. Didn't have to think about it. We can adjust to different environments and car formats quite easily.

Even in my automatic I have (drive) normal mode and cruise control mode. I use cruise control mode 90% of the time. Except in stop-go traffic (not traffic aware). I think I will get used to AP pretty quickly (and its quirks)!

Reactions: TaylorP and ChrisJA
Just wondering why it is a deal breaker? Because of the potential for the eventual call to be from some form of scammer? If so, you just need to be aware, and to establish mutual identification standards. (Common ones that I use are number of products that I have, serial number of some item, value of last invoice etc. If they will not work with that then ask for a number that is publicly listed on a the corporate website that you can call them back on).

Don't give any information over the phone until you are satisfied that they are genuinely from Tesla, and preferably, nothing even then. Discuss the delivery and ask them to push the invoice to your portal and finance company. Job done.

Many companies misunderstand the spirit of what the privacy legislation is for, particularly banks, and virtually train people that talking to scammers is a good thing, but we need to stand strong!

??? They are talking about verification of the fact that a tow bar can be fitted to the vehicle

Well, I had my hopes up for a Sep 9th home delivery which they confirmed by phone last Friday. Then it slipped to the 11th (today) which was even updated on the Tesla.com order page. Then radio silence and now I've just been called to say it's still in Sydney and getting on a truck this afternoon but won't be here until Monday 16th* and that a truck driver will call ahead 1.5 hours before arriving.

Still excited but it's rough being told the arrival dates and planning my week / electrician around it and then having it all slip away.

From the sounds of it everything is slipping at Sydney.

Deep breaths.

*I'm 8.5 hours drive from Sydney.

Well, I had my hopes up for a Sep 9th home delivery which they confirmed by phone last Friday. Then it slipped to the 11th (today) which was even updated on the Tesla.com order page. Then radio silence and now I've just been called to say it's still in Sydney and getting on a truck this afternoon but won't be here until Monday 16th* and that a truck driver will call ahead 1.5 hours before arriving.

Still excited but it's rough being told the arrival dates and planning my week / electrician around it and then having it all slip away.

From the sounds of it everything is slipping at Sydney.

Deep breaths.

*I'm 8.5 hours drive from Sydney.
Yes, deep breaths. You won't remember the waiting after you get the car!

@Vedaprime

ANL Warrnambool back on track for 20:00 on the 12th!!

upload_2019-9-11_13-39-12.png

Am I strange in that if they offered me a test drive I'd refuse? 3, S or X.

I want my first electric car drive to be my car ..

Even if the lovely couple across the road from me offered me a ride in their Kona EV, I'd knock it back until I get my car!

I've read enough over the last 3 years to know there is no way I'd drive the car and go 'this is *sugar*!".

Not strange at all. Either that or we're both strange. I've been offered drives and turned them down for the same reasons pretty much as you've outlined.

Reactions: MonicaPlease