Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah for the good old days of 2015 Q4 "get 'em sold!" price drops...pricing (especially P85 and P85+ cars) has stagnated a bit it seems. Unlike the new cars (which qualify for the rebates) I don't suppose there is much incentive to drop prices in January.

I would assume the next round of drops will likely occur in March as they try to hit Q1 numbers, preview the Model III and HOPEFULLY Model X production ramps up more and folks start trading in their Ses. The latter should also help to push a few more cars to the private sale market as well.

My "plan" is to test drive the new 2017 Volt (had a 2012...lease was up in July and GM decided not to roll the 2016 Volt out in Texas) around March when it gets here and then "make the call" as to whether I go for it or step up to a CPO Model S. Honestly, my biggest dilemma? I work from home 98% of the time and the "financially responsible" version of me is like "WTH...why do you even need ANY new car???!!!"...I really hate that guy.

I have a decision to make in about 4 months.
My standard 85 will reach 50k miles, the decision I'm faced with is purchase an extended warranty or trade it in and upgrade to a p85+ via CPO (I drove the p85+ and loved the handling, it was fantastic!) OR lease a brand new p90d, the p90d is quicker than the p+ but some might say the handling on the + is better, but with the p90d I can get the exact options I want...

Im indecisive, I go back and forth everyday

My "plan" is to test drive the new 2017 Volt (had a 2012...lease was up in July and GM decided not to roll the 2016 Volt out in Texas) around March when it gets here and then "make the call" as to whether I go for it or step up to a CPO Model S. Honestly, my biggest dilemma? I work from home 98% of the time and the "financially responsible" version of me is like "WTH...why do you even need ANY new car???!!!"...I really hate that guy.
If you must test drive a new Volt, then please test drive a new Tesla the same day and tell me which is the better car.

As far as being financially responsible, I could ride the bus to work every day and save a bunch of money over owning a car, but I choose not to. Call it a guilty pleasure if you like. :)

If you must test drive a new Volt, then please test drive a new Tesla the same day and tell me which is the better car.

As far as being financially responsible, I could ride the bus to work every day and save a bunch of money over owning a car, but I choose not to. Call it a guilty pleasure if you like. :)

So to be clear, I already know the Model S is an awesome ride (4 test drives later), but the new Volt may be "good enough" from an enthusiast point of view. I neglected to mention one of my primary drivers here is the "fun to drive" factor. The old Volt was awesome, but it never inspired me to want to "have fun" in it. Even with the bit of torque it had off the line, I almost never nailed it since it wasn't "satisfying" (note: my two previous rides were 400hp V8 stick shifts, etc.).

Comparatively, I test drove (over 3 days) the BMW i3 with range extender and it was a blast to drive around town (light, tossable, just FUN), but its freeway manners were really marginal, the ride was choppy, suicide doors were impractical, etc - too many negatives. Now the new Volt is getting a lot of praise for its "fun to drive" factor as compared to the original and performance seems signifcantly improved - hence my comment that it may be "good enough" in that area. Conversely, I might find it is more similar to the old Volt than I had hoped and I might come away feeling "meh" about the overall,improvement. Oddly enough, the Chevy BOLT might also be a "funfactor" contender given its form factor and sub 7 second 0-60 time (BMW i3-like w/o all the drawbacks).

Ah for the good old days of 2015 Q4 "get 'em sold!" price drops...pricing (especially P85 and P85+ cars) has stagnated a bit it seems. Unlike the new cars (which qualify for the rebates) I don't suppose there is much incentive to drop prices in January.

I would assume the next round of drops will likely occur in March as they try to hit Q1 numbers, preview the Model III and HOPEFULLY Model X production ramps up more and folks start trading in their Ses. The latter should also help to push a few more cars to the private sale market as well.

Why not just buy the cheapest Model S you can find?, there are such good deals right now....private party not through Tesla.

Why not just buy the cheapest Model S you can find?, there are such good deals right now....private party not through Tesla.

Where are those deals? In looking for the "cheapest one I can find" with RFS, nowhere have I seen better deals than the CPOs- which have had a handful pop up sub-45k..and bare bones 60s around 35K...Ebay, Cars.com, panjo, etc. are all over-priced for the 60s and high mile, early vin 85s. Not that I'm doubting you, but I'm just not finding/seeing them.

Where are those deals? In looking for the "cheapest one I can find" with RFS, nowhere have I seen better deals than the CPOs- which have had a handful pop up sub-45k..and bare bones 60s around 35K...Ebay, Cars.com, panjo, etc. are all over-priced for the 60s and high mile, early vin 85s. Not that I'm doubting you, but I'm just not finding/seeing them.

Call up or talk to your local tesla showroom they might be able to find something barebone or even non cpo sold as is for really good price.

Call up or talk to your local tesla showroom they might be able to find something barebone or even non cpo sold as is for really good price.

Yes, I have done that and have a couple guys keeping an eye out for me. I was more addressing Douglas's statement that there are "such good deals...not through Tesla" when trying to get "the cheapest Model S you can find." I'd like to be pointed in right right direction if that's the case. I haven't seen a better deal elsewhere myself.

I have a decision to make in about 4 months.
My standard 85 will reach 50k miles, the decision I'm faced with is purchase an extended warranty or trade it in and upgrade to a p85+ via CPO (I drove the p85+ and loved the handling, it was fantastic!) OR lease a brand new p90d, the p90d is quicker than the p+ but some might say the handling on the + is better, but with the p90d I can get the exact options I want...

Im indecisive, I go back and forth everyday

Go with the P90D..... I was in the same boat and loved the way the + drove. After driving a new P90D for a weekend, I completely lost my desire for the +. The newer cars are just built so much better and if you wait a few more months, we should have a new nose job...:)