Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hunting/waiting for an under 50k MS with rear facing seats. I don't need any other options to be a buyer,but would happily take tech package and pano. I am also curious if an 85 will get into my price range. There were two 60s that went for ~47.5, and I would have taken either one if it had rear facing seats. Not in a rush bc I had planned on waiting for the 3, but after a test drive/convincing the wife/getting financing in order it's hard to wait. Along with that, we tested our car seats in the back seat of a 70D and they fit comfortably, but I am now thinking the 3 will not work nearly as well with car seats bc of its size. There is zero extra space for the front passengers with car seats in the back. Not uncomfortable, but tight.

50k is the top of my budget, and I am buying as a family car (obviously) for the safety reasons + all the added benefits that you all know. What do you all think my chances are of getting in a MS sometime soon? I'm one of many lurking and waiting to see what CPOs pop up with the X release.

Been watching these here forums for a little while now- thanks to all of you for your wealth of information! I am very appreciate and hope to have something meaningful to contribute one day.

I would say trying to get an 85 of any sort for < 50K is going to be a very long wait. As far as I know the only cars < 50K that have come on the CPO market have been S60's.

I am hunting/waiting for an under 50k MS with rear facing seats. I don't need any other options to be a buyer,but would happily take tech package and pano. I am also curious if an 85 will get into my price range. There were two 60s that went for ~47.5, and I would have taken either one if it had rear facing seats. Not in a rush bc I had planned on waiting for the 3, but after a test drive/convincing the wife/getting financing in order it's hard to wait. Along with that, we tested our car seats in the back seat of a 70D and they fit comfortably, but I am now thinking the 3 will not work nearly as well with car seats bc of its size. There is zero extra space for the front passengers with car seats in the back. Not uncomfortable, but tight.

50k is the top of my budget, and I am buying as a family car (obviously) for the safety reasons + all the added benefits that you all know. What do you all think my chances are of getting in a MS sometime soon? I'm one of many lurking and waiting to see what CPOs pop up with the X release.

Been watching these here forums for a little while now- thanks to all of you for your wealth of information! I am very appreciate and hope to have something meaningful to contribute one day.

I can't recall which one it was, but one of the sub $50k's had rear facing seats. Have you had a chance to see the seats in person. Personally, I think they're "neat", but size/weight restrictions make them almost a gimmick. There was an 85 that sold for $50.4k with like 41k miles. I knew it was going to go quick, and unfortunately wasn't able to convince my wife to let me jump on it. I've told myself that I'm going to snag the next comparably equipped car that comes at that price.

Personally, I think they're "neat", but size/weight restrictions make them almost a gimmick.

There is a pretty narrow use case with the seats. That said, My 6 year old loves them, and I love putting her in them when I pick her up in a wet towel at the swim club. They are a leather saver.

Also, helpful when you have 6 or 7 people and would rather just take 1 car.

I can't recall which one it was, but one of the sub $50k's had rear facing seats. Have you had a chance to see the seats in person. Personally, I think they're "neat", but size/weight restrictions make them almost a gimmick.
According to http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/05/tesla-model-s-third-row-seats-are-suitable-only-for-kids/index.htm:
The seat is only suitable for children greater than 37 inches tall, weighing between 35 and 77 pounds—that is a narrow size range. It's too big for smaller kids, and larger ones won't fit under the sloping glass window.
This is restrictive, but still potentially useful for a great many families. Our alternative would be to wait for a Model X.

Can't speak to other markets, but the of the 21 New York cards, 14 are below 5K miles and 7 are below 3K (lowest is 888.) There's 2012 P85 that must be a blast to drive which has all of 2581 miles. Easily explainable since we depend heavily on mass transit for commuting.

Still, I can't get over the thought of somebody with a P85 who let it sit around for almost 3 years and put less miles on it than i will in the first month.

I'm fine with a base model 60 plus rear seats, though hearing of an 85 around 55k, along with the couple of 60s that sold at 47.5k, makes me hopeful I can get a little more. I know it's unusual that rear seats are the only option I require, but I plan on keeping the car 10+ years, and my kids (currently 1yr and unborn) will use the back the entirety of their 35-77lb life. I am buying this car strictly for the safety and no gas aspect, or at least that's what I tell my wife...will be patient and see what comes in the next few months!

I know it's unusual that rear seats are the only option I require, but I plan on keeping the car 10+ years, and my kids (currently 1yr and unborn) will use the back the entirety of their 35-77lb life.

Just know that there are no vents for the 3rd row, and it can be hot in the summer. I put ceramic window tint on the rear window, which helps some....but only some. Also, make sure to cool the car off before walking out to it in summer for that 3rd row as well.

Just know that there are no vents for the 3rd row, and it can be hot in the summer. I put ceramic window tint on the rear window, which helps some....but only some. Also, make sure to cool the car off before walking out to it in summer for that 3rd row as well.

I thought I read that if you put the a/c on "fresh air" rather than "recirculate", it does open a vent from outside into the rear. That said, there still would be no fan to put much of a "breeze" back there.

The lowest price S85 I have record of sold for $55,300.
Actually, thanks to your site and customizable email alerts, I was able to place a deposit on an S85 for $51,400. Hope to pick it up this week.

Oh, you're right! I missed that one S85 for $51,400! Congrats on the car, and I'm very glad my site helped you out. Nice car-- Tech package, Hifi audio and smart suspension. Great deal!

I said "with rear seats".. :)

If you don't have proof, how can you "confirm"? :)

The lowest price S85 I have record of sold for $55,300.

Touche, I can't "confirm". I was hoping that someone would eventually pop up saying that they purchased that vehicle. I really wish it could have been me.

Regarding the rear seats, I would assume Tesla would put rear seats in any vehicle, if you pay the option cost. Don't you think?

Regarding the rear seats, I would assume Tesla would put rear seats in any vehicle, if you pay the option cost. Don't you think?

Nope. 3rd row seat vehicles get a modified rear bumper and other rear crush zone modifications. 3rd row seats must be optioned in the original build of the vehicle, with exception of Signature and very low VIN MS, which all got the special rear bumper.

Yeah I meant s85d s70d but yes more widely available p85ds. Also us Canadians can't import, Tesla isn't playing ball to allow it.

Yeah, after I posted, I wondered if the "we're" in your post meant "Canadians."

Hopefully they will start to show up eventually...but living in a smaller market, I can imagine the amount of inventory available is smaller as well, especially if you aren't allowed to import.

I have a reservation for an X but would consider a regular S85D or S70D if the price and options were right. I think there are a lot of us on TMC waiting for those.