Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this Model X CPO has a salvage title? ;)

Model X P100D 5YJXCBE42GF019657 | Tesla

upload_2017-6-3_11-40-4.png

Will there still be on some vehicles four year 50,000 miles?

These new lower prices CPO models very very tempting. I'm trying to stay current on red for cars nearing 100,000 miles and the promise they might be having but I can't find a lot on this forum push me away from going that direction. Scherer small incidental things may have looks like most people are pleased.

Tesla adds lots of Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000 with new warranty

The automaker is now listing a lot of new Certified Pre-Owned Model S vehicles for less than $40,000. While you could sometimes find a used Model S in the $40,000 price range from different resellers or directly from the owners, it was rare to find a used Tesla Model S for that price in Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned program. Under the program, the vehicles receive a full inspection and a four-year, 50,000 miles limited warranty with 24 hour roadside assistance on top of the remaining years/mileage of their battery and drivetrain warranty. But now Tesla is introducing a new version of the program for high mileage cars. They added dozens of them to their list and several are just over $30,000:

These vehicles also receive “a full inspection, remaining battery and drive warranty”, but they get “a two-year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty with 24-hour roadside assistance” – instead of 4 years and 50,000 more miles.

upload_2017-6-6_20-48-12.png

FACK - was this like a Black Friday sale on Teslas?

How much of a discount are these today versus yesterday?

Well, they are cars they didn't used to list on the public site, mostly. Over 50k that they used to sell "as is" via advisors, they now have this reduced warranty. But, yeah, I could probably buy my same car for $10k less today than I did in December. Oh well.

I think this is similar to the famous December '15 fire sale on the CPO site everyone has been hoping to see again.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
A number of P85 and P85+'s left. What value would you guys put on the 2 year warranty? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be eyeing a CPO or buying from a private party..

Even owning a Tesla, I have no idea how to properly evaluate a private party used one. I'd go with a CPO. I don't think you have time to dink around with being picky. Find a config you like at the best price, lowest mileage and just go for it!

This is great news! I'm happy to see Tesla endeavoring to sell older cars themselves rather than simply getting rid of them at wholesale.

Months ago on another thread, I suggested that offering a lesser warranty on older cars might make sense. However, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the fixed cap of 100K miles. If a car comes with 95K miles, then the customer experience is likely to suffer if the warranty expires after only 5K miles, as that may not provide enough time to "shake out" pre-existing issues with the car. And what about good cars with over 100K miles? Perhaps a floor of, say, 12K miles on the warranty might be better.

On our pre-owned 2012 Model S, for instance, the pano roof turned out to be leaky at roughly 75K miles. This became evident after a heavy rainstorm, when we noticed water damage in the headliner. Thankfully, even though Tesla had sold the car to us "as is" with some minor cosmetic damage, it did come with the pre-owned vehicle warranty and our Service Center was quite proactive about fixing everything. With over 90K miles on the odometer, a greatly abbreviated warranty, and a delivery date at the beginning of California's dry season, however, such latent issues might not become evident until after the warranty expires.

In any case, a selling point of EVs is that odometer mileage doesn't generally matter as much as with ICE cars. For the good of the Tesla brand if nothing else, I think that even the highest-mileage pre-owned vehicles should come with some minimum amount of warranty coverage when sold to retail buyers.

It would be great to see on this forum a thread of high mileage users and high mileage repairs for data points for prospective purchasers of a high mileage Tesla. I think that would do a lot of good for people who are on the fence and strongly considering this latest round of CPO cars.

I've tried finding one in there a few people who are pretty vocal about their repairs but not a stream of upset owners you would think to find… yet.

This is great news! I'm happy to see Tesla endeavoring to sell older cars themselves rather than simply getting rid of them at wholesale.

Months ago on another thread, I suggested that offering a lesser warranty on older cars might make sense. However, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the fixed cap of 100K miles. If a car comes with 95K miles, then the customer experience is likely to suffer if the warranty expires after only 5K miles, as that may not provide enough time to "shake out" pre-existing issues with the car. And what about good cars with over 100K miles? Perhaps a floor of, say, 12K miles on the warranty might be better.

On our pre-owned 2012 Model S, for instance, the pano roof turned out to be leaky at roughly 75K miles. This became evident after a heavy rainstorm, when we noticed water damage in the headliner. Thankfully, even though Tesla had sold the car to us "as is" with some minor cosmetic damage, it did come with the pre-owned vehicle warranty and our Service Center was quite proactive about fixing everything. With over 90K miles on the odometer, a greatly abbreviated warranty, and a delivery date at the beginning of California's dry season, however, such latent issues might not become evident until after the warranty expires.

In any case, a selling point of EVs is that odometer mileage doesn't generally matter as much as with ICE cars. For the good of the Tesla brand if nothing else, I think that even the highest-mileage pre-owned vehicles should come with some minimum amount of warranty coverage when sold to retail buyers.