Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what was his reaction after you explained what that car was?
He was enthralled. As I showed him the features and explained charging, etc., he said his homework was going to be reading up on this fascinating company.

Living near the Bay Area, it has been eye opening to go to places where many people don't know Tesla at all. Even today at the Burlington Supercharger, a couple in a facelift Model S came up and asked if my car was the one with the doors that went <raised arms like wings>. When I confirmed, they asked me to show them. I found it astounding that new Model S owners wouldn't have seen an X.

He was enthralled. As I showed him the features and explained charging, etc., he said his homework was going to be reading up on this fascinating company.
Even my ICE mechanic wants a Tesla, if nothing more than it appears to be a great toy to tinker with. Unfortunately with lack of an open parts network and information available to 3rd party repair shops, it might be awhile before he realizes his dream. Maybe he should consider a Roadster?

Here are a few Tesla moments for your enjoyment:

Jennifer was charging at the Fremont Supercharger as a bunch of Chinese business types were coming on from a factory tour. One gentleman asked if he could ask a few questions about the Signature Model X she was charging...an hour later this guy had offered her $50,000 over what we paid if he could take it back to China with him. We literally had the car in our hands for a week! She politely told him NO........snip........
that's what i call a missed oportunity to get an AP2 100kW.
but that's just me ...
:eek:

Reactions: hiroshiy
We drove our Model X out to the Painted Hills in Oregon. Here are a few photos:
20017710_10154969673568020_4724129718249333160_o.jpg

19875602_10154969119158020_5229262018835997141_n.jpg

19959258_10154969119153020_7452647409394668835_n.jpg

If you are interested in the story of our Model X travels in eastern Oregon or want to see any of the other photos, the link is here.

This morning I left the coffeeshop and walked toward my vehicle. A homeless vagrant caught sight of me and walked my way.

"Sir?" he yelled, "Excuse me, Sir!" as he continued toward me.

I finally reached my driver-side door - alas! - my hands were full, holding a cappuccino and a bag of coffee beans. Luckily auto-present opened the door in stride. I ducked in and hit the brake pedal, slamming the door shut. He walked on as I peeled out. Saved by auto-present!

... only to find out you dropped your wallet and he was trying to return it. ;)

I almost posted a youtube of our charging experience over the past 10 days.
We just got back from a 1,500+ mile trip, from O.C. Cali, up thru Park City Utah, w/ several SC stops going to & fro.
Anyway, we experience the same fail, all along interstate 15, from barstow, through St. George ... moving from 1 stall to the next, in hopes of not having power drop by more than 1/2. Not just us, but others now understand the dynamics. So we made a go pro / high speed video. Teslas moving 3 & 4 times, hoping to yield more than ridiculous power levels. It reminded me of the days of Benny Hill comedy ... all that high speed jumping from stall to stall, only it's not that funny.

I almost posted a youtube of our charging experience over the past 10 days.
We just got back from a 1,500+ mile trip, from O.C. Cali, up thru Park City Utah, w/ several SC stops going to & fro.
Anyway, we experience the same fail, all along interstate 15, from barstow, through St. George ... moving from 1 stall to the next, in hopes of not having power drop by more than 1/2. Not just us, but others now understand the dynamics. So we made a go pro / high speed video. Teslas moving 3 & 4 times, hoping to yield more than ridiculous power levels. It reminded me of the days of Benny Hill comedy ... all that high speed jumping from stall to stall, only it's not that funny.

I'm not really sure this is the thread for this, but more details would be helpful.

Are you seeing a quick ramp to a high rate, but then it drops off a few minutes later, or a sustained low rate that never rises very high?

What was the temperature/weather when you had these problems?

Presumably you know all about shared chargers, and it wasn't that?

I'm not really sure this is the thread for this, but more details would be helpful.

Are you seeing a quick ramp to a high rate, but then it drops off a few minutes later, or a sustained low rate that never rises very high?

(Also Off Topic)

This is a serious issue at superchargers. Drove on two separate road trips and had the same issue at almost every supercharger. Very Slow.

Seriously threw off my plans. Got to my destination 3-4 hours off of what I was planning.

(Also Off Topic)

This is a serious issue at superchargers. Drove on two separate road trips and had the same issue at almost every supercharger. Very Slow.

Seriously threw off my plans. Got to my destination 3-4 hours off of what I was planning.

Same questions for you (temperature/weather, ramp up curve.)

What I saw a couple times in July in very hot places was a ramp straight to 90+, then a progressive drop over maybe five minutes to ~50kW - pretty sure this is current limiting due to heating at the plug connector, since I got the same result from multiple plugs, including both sides of the same charger stack.

Most likely the only solution to that will be liquid cooled cables, if Tesla can find a design they're comfortable with.

Same questions for you (temperature/weather, ramp up curve.)

What I saw a couple times in July in very hot places was a ramp straight to 90+, then a progressive drop over maybe five minutes to ~50kW - pretty sure this is current limiting due to heating at the plug connector, since I got the same result from multiple plugs, including both sides of the same charger stack.

Most likely the only solution to that will be liquid cooled cables, if Tesla can find a design they're comfortable with.
Most of the time we had a slow ramp up, but a quick ascent to ~60 kw. Then that dropped down to zero. Then it started again, going to around ~60 kw and only charging 180 miles per hour or so. Always in an A slot too. B slots were even worse, giving me 80-120 miles per hour.

yes i know the dynamics & only 1X did understandable circumsrances apply (>100°f temps) - but so the point doesn't get missed, the gopro video, the video - that was the Tesla (Model X) moment ... multiple tesla's scurrying around, like so many flys being shooed off the picnic delicacies, only to quickly land on something else - then scurrying onto the next (chaege) spot. That's our model X moment. No dissection nor diagnostic fix necessary - just the moment of tragic humor. perhaps only fans of 3 stooges type humor can appreciate that, where a bowling ball dropping on someone's head strikes the audience as funny. watching so many of us jump around struck us as funny. Sorry it misses the point for some..

Reactions: Saghost