TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Owner API Tutorial (All you need is your browser)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Akrion, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Akrion

Akrion Member

I searched through the threads here but all I was able to find was a little bit too technical IMO for the average user and the step by step how to was not really there. I love the fact that Tim did the Apiary.io documentation and wanted with just the browser to walk through an example of how to get your Tesla's vehicle state etc.

I ended up actually doing this step by step for myself and that is how I found out that my "uncorking" was not done although my car was 2 months ago with Tesla of West Palm Beach for that exact purpose. So I have a real life example how this helped me.

Obviously, you can go like 10 different ways to get to the API and work with it but what I really liked with the Apiary.io was that all you need is just the browser so anyone can quickly do it without any other tools like Postman etc.

In any case, hope this is useful to the community and my apologies if it was done already. I did not find much on YT on the subject.

PS. There are few issues in the video like the Content-Type header param etc but overall it should suffice for the average user to follow and get data for their vehicle out IMO.

• Informative x 12
    • Like x 11
    • Love x 2
  2. appleguru

appleguru Member

Nice video, hopefully it helps someone.

Hopefully you've changed your Tesla account password/invalidated the token you show in the video? You may also wish to blank out your Tesla account email address.

• Helpful x 1
  3. rltsx

rltsx Member

That was helpful, thank you.

Just did my uncork today and no performance gain was noted. I followed your tutorial and mine also says p3. Going to have a nice chat w/ SC tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Great stuff. I've just honked my car's horn using my mouse. That's a first :)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. appleguru

appleguru Member

Ask them (nicely) to show you the diagnostics screen so you can verify the uncork took. Based on the data we have so far, the API will only tell you part of the story. But even so, any car with "P3", as far as we can tell, is not uncorked:

JDeck has collected some more data from his Teslafi platform here that does seem to validate that P3 = corked for 75Ds: http://firmware.teslafi.com/uncorked.php

UncorkedDiagUI75D.jpg

6. Akrion

Akrion Member

Thanks! Yes that was a temp password :) It was easier that way than to hide it through the video.

7. Akrion

Akrion Member

Yes that is my story as well. Glad that tutorial helped you prove it for you as well!

8. LMichel

LMichel Member

This is great stuff!
    I was following right along and making good progress. Until I tried a GET for the Vehicle State :(
    I get a 404:
    {
    "response": null,
    "error": "not_found",
    "error_description": ""
    }
    The vehicle ID in the URL also shows in red font.
    I get the impression that I don't have the correct syntax to put in the URI parameter??
    The URI name/value pair I'm using is vehicle_id 0123456789
    Where the numeric string is a cut and paste of the return of my successful Vehicle call (List all vehicles)

Thoughts??

9. Akrion

Akrion Member

Yes you copied either the wrong vechile_id or typed it wrong. It should be in red font. Did you copy the id_s? In the video I mentioned that you should copy id_s and not vechicle_id ... not sure why they did this.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. LMichel

LMichel Member

That was it!
    Uh... yeah, you kinda did mention that id_s and not vehicle_id is what should be used.. Damn, my ADHD strikes again. LOL.
    Sorry about that :)

11. Akrion

Akrion Member

hehe np. Glad I was able to help.

12. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

What does "perf_config": "P2" mean for a RWD S75?

13. Akrion

Akrion Member

My uneducated guess would be since you are RWD your best bet is P2 ... Dual motors get P1 or something like that. I could be completely wrong of course :)

14. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

means uncorked?

Edit - that's what it seems like as per http://firmware.teslafi.com/uncorked.php - P2 for S75 means uncorked.

• Like x 2
  15. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

Do I have to put in every quotation mark, full colon, and comma in the Body field? I fill everything in as instructed in your video but I keep getting messages like this:

1. "error": "invalid_request",
    2. "error_description": "The request is missing a required parameter, includes an unsupported parameter value, or is otherwise malformed.”

I probably need to go back to my apiary and tend to my bees. Much easier than dealing with any programming language. Novice user here.

16. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

The "Set Charge Limit" doesn't seem to be working fine. It doesn't matter what percentage I specify, it gets set to 50%. Anyone else had luck with it? I am thinking about creating a simple webpage for my personal use to get/set some basis things the way I like it.

17. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

Same story here. :( Picked up my car today and no difference at all. Used this great tutorial and noticed I still have P3 as well.

• Like x 1
  18. rltsx

rltsx Member

Bring it back. I spoke w/ my SC about my car showing P3, and they performed the procedure again. He confirmed it is now showing P1, and my run log confirms the performance gain.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  19. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

re corning/uncorking, sometimes they uncork the car, but forget to update all the mothership bits and so then teleforce bots descend on your car and cork it back thinking the change was unauthorized.

• Helpful x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  20. Akrion

Akrion Member

Copy and paste the bellow. Replace the email and password. Should work.

{
    "grant_type": "password",
    "client_id": "81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384",
    "client_secret": "c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3",
    "email": "<YOUREMAIL>",
    "password": "<YOURPASSWORD>"
    }