Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Auto Wipers Poll

Which Auto Wipers Issue Affects or Annoys You The Most?

• They go absolutely bat *sugar* crazy during a light drizzle.

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • They don't turn on even when raining hard.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • They don't increase sensitivity even when you manually trigger them multiple times in a row.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • During the summer, bug spatter sets the wipers into drywipe overdrive.

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • During the winter, fogging causes dry wiping.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • They turn on during a completely dry and clear day.

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • All of the above, whats more to say.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • None of the above, mine work great.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • It will never get fixed, as it doesn't rain enough in California for Tesla to care.

Votes: 36 24.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's apparent by now that the approach of using the camera to detect rain is not technologically feasible. It's not because Tesla is in California (contrary to popular notion, it does rain in California and sometimes quite hard) that it won't be fixed, it's just not possible given the hardware. At some point they are going to have to relent and put a normal rain sensor back in. Of course that won't help those of us who have to rely on the camera.

Mostly "They turn on during a completely dry and clear day."

I live in a snowy climate, so I'd also add they don't perform particularly well in snowy conditions either (erring both on the side of underwiping and sometimes going absolutely crazy when there's just a touch a snowy coming down)

• Informative
Reactions: Sonny-Jim
0*PCbE4DxTtuLBSZRC

They don't work in the dark either.. being cameras. I've driven through filthy weather on an unlit road and not a peep out of the autowipers. Presumabably in california they don't have unlit roads either (I doubt this, but the alternative is that Tesla didn't even test in their home state..).

Iim on a 2018 Model S and in the UK so lots of rain especially the last 8 months, and to be honest mine arent too bad. The only gripes i have is that when it starts drizzling, it may take a while for them to kick in but when they do, there are no issues after that. And then a random one which i dont know is normal, when reversing they go on full speed mode even if its slightly drizzly. Never had any issues with dirty windscreen, not working in the dark etc.

They fail to wipe with UK drizzle or spray on the motorway.

When they dry wipe, the only way to turn them off is to press the button to bring up the manual controls which makes it dry wipe again 😠

seeing rain on glass in the dark is virtually impossible which is one of the reasons it was a dumb design in the first place
Exactly, and being the proud SOB that he is, Elon will never admit he should have kept right on using the tried and tested gelpack sensor that everyone else on the planet has been using for decades to support auto wipers instead of wasting time and money trying to teach those cheap cameras to see rain at all, much less in the dark.