Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a ranger coming out and changing my camera tomorrow because of this with my rear camera. In low level light something has changed like yours. Didn’t realise it could be the software. I’m on the same version.
Yea, mine was operating in accordance with manufacturer specifications until the latest software update made it significantly dimmer.

I passed the “regression” observation (as always) to my mobile repair chap who passes it up the food chain.

My biggest issue when either on "I follow road" or "I follow gps" is that at the exits and entrances, instead of navigating the center markings it wants to navigate the side markings. I.e. right markings veer right for the exit, it goes that way until it realizes it needs to go straight.

Reactions: navguy12
The problem is by design. Would be a better use of my time to harass a mcdonalds employee over the amount of mac sauce on my big mac.
By design? I've never had music mute after engaging AP/FSD Beta. What design are you talking about? What purpose would there be to mute your music when on AP/FSD Beta? I'll leave you alone, as you seem to be having a moment and are not interested in help.

By design? I've never had music mute after engaging AP/FSD Beta. What design are you talking about? What purpose would there be to mute your music when on AP/FSD Beta? I'll leave you alone, as you seem to be having a moment and are not interested in help.
1. Do you have a Tesla without interior camera?
2. Do you have this update?
3. Can you read my several posts earlier in this thread describing the actual new behavior when engaging autopilot?

I feared the unknown about "the recall" before I got it, but not that I have lived with it for a couple of weeks, I actually prefer the behavior now. I get FEWER nags (less turning force is required to suppress the nags) and I like not having to turn the steering wheel as hard to change lanes while the turn signal is on and Autopilot is engaged.

Reactions: fholbert
I feared the unknown about "the recall" before I got it, but not that I have lived with it for a couple of weeks, I actually prefer the behavior now. I get FEWER nags (less turning force is required to suppress the nags) and I like not having to turn the steering wheel as hard to change lanes while the turn signal is on and Autopilot is engaged.
I agree, has issues but better than before.

So. Been hearing all you guys state that the "Recall" is dangerous, brings up horrors, and all that stuff.

Thursday and Friday, ran with 2023.44.30.7 from New Jersey to Brighton (i.e., Boston) and back. That's like, roughly, 500 miles, all on FSD-b 11.4.9.

According to the comments in here, the car, the SO, and I should have been flattened by any number of larger vehicles than the 2023 M3 AWD LR we were driving.

What I'm a-telling you guys: That was 500 miles of 98% FSD-b with little to no problems. There was one spot where, going from I-287 in NJ to I-95 (the New Jersey Turnpike) where, after the toll booths, FSD-b happened to pick the truck/car lanes split rather than the car-only lanes.. but that was it for odd stuff and the only real intervention.

So: We're talking honking up the NJT turnpike, navigating the East Branch of same past the Lincoln Tunnel exits, through the toll booths, continuing up to I-80 and the approaches to the George Washington Bridge, navigating the various off-ramps off said bridge, across Manhattan, up onto I-87 (The Major Deegan), to the exit to local roads/Cross-Country Highway, to the Hutchinson River Parkway, through there to the Merritt Parkway, through Conneticut to I-91 (with a stop for a supercharge and burger in Meriden), to I-84, to the Mass Pike (I-90), and from there to the twisty little roads, no two alike, that make up Brighton. And from there through all sorts of nasty little (and not so little roads) to Malden, back, and all over the blame place, including up and down I-95/Rt. 128 in Boston.

And mostly all on FSD-b/autopilot. There's these teeny little roads in Brighton that claim to be two-way, but if people are parked on both sides of the street (as they do) it's One Lane Down The Middle, and people going towards each other duck in and out of unused parking spaces so their cars can get by. There, I did it manually.

No dry wipes. Two hands on the steering wheel at all times, lightly going back and forth from time to time. I don't usually wear sunglasses unless it's bright out there, and it wasn't on this trip. In 500 miles, there were, maybe, five or ten "blue flashes", but no strikes, and no problems just Driving Around.

Gas mileage was fine; in fact, despite the cold weather (mid-20's in Boston, mid-40's in NJ), the car beat its rated mileage. No problems on off-ramps, on-ramps, and all that jazz.

I have zero ideas why you guys are so upset with the newer releases; this was the easiest, least stressful trip I've ever run with FSD since I started testing a year and a half ago.

What with the holidays and random relatives coming and going during all the fun I wasn't getting much driving done; was seeing all the complaints here, and wondering what Tesla had done wrong. This 500 mile trip makes me wonder what's going on in this thread, though. I mean: No phantom braking, even, on the entire trip up there and back.

Nice new feature, though: Say one is buzzing along on a $RANDOM interstate somewhere. The DMV, bless their souls, has got some road work five miles up and, as usual, has put up 45 mph limit signs. Nobody pays attention to those signs except, since the NHTSA got picky, Teslas, meaning sudden slowdowns that one has to goose the gas pedal for, unless one wants to get run over by a lumbering, high-speed semi, dump truck, or something. Which is irritating.

Now what one gets is a bit of a slowdown (not much), and a little message pops up: "Car is keeping up with traffic conditions" (or something), and the adjustable speed limit indicator flashes and turns blue, with a new speed limit that is, indeed, faster than posted 45 mph limit I mentioned, but curiously close to what everybody else is driving at. And no more sudden slowdowns in traffic.

Best drive on FSD-b I've ever had. If this is 11.4.9, can't wait until the 12.X releases hit later this month.

Tesla will throw away all that code in the planner they have spent a few years refining and replace it with something completely new. Don't expect it to be better from the start.

IIRC from polling the employees who have V12 so far the VAST VAST majority rated it either improved or no difference compared to 11 across all criteria checked....(I think no difference was the plurality answer for all criteria except feels more human, where improved won) which honestly surprised me because I certainly expected the majority would rate worse on initial releases.

IIRC from polling the employees who have V12 so far the VAST VAST majority rated it either improved or no difference compared to 11 across all criteria checked....(I think no difference was the plurality answer for all criteria except feels more human, where improved won) which honestly surprised me because I certainly expected the majority would rate worse on initial releases.
Yep, this was a surprise to me. For all other major changes, typically there are very significant regressions from the start, but that didn't appear to happen this time. That's probably why people are skeptical if Tesla really is doing end-to-end here.

Yep, this was a surprise to me. For all other major changes, typically there are very significant regressions from the start, but that didn't appear to happen this time. That's probably why people are skeptical if Tesla really is doing end-to-end here.
Keep in mind that this was a poll of employees, many of whom might be biased. And the poll may not have been anonymous, making any results more suspect.

Still, it's better than getting poor evaluations.