Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales continue downwards trend in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get all that, it's just the M3 performance is still very new and hardly any have been delivered in the UK, at least I'm not aware of any yet, and now there are already 7 by the looks of things on inventory (which isn;t massess admitedly but does mean 7 not matched to buyers) and with not even with the usual Tesla practice of adding FSD to hard to come by models. They're also listed as in country
Link please - it sounds useful.

I want to check if full price or discounted.

We talk a lot about Elon’s gifts (and drawbacks)...his insights, his risk assessment, his engineering skills....but to me his greatest skill is often overlooked....the guy was a great car salesman !
I’ve fixed the above post for you.

I agree, in the past, he was a great one man sales team. However, those days are firmly in the past.

His public perception has shifted radically from tech genius who can do no wrong to someone who can at best be described as ‘Marmite’ and at worst a complete <insert your choice of insult here>.

He lost all credibility over ‘pedo guy’ and ‘funding secured’ and it went further downhill from there.

There is a really good reason why prominent public figures and big company CEOs seldom comment on anything political and when they do it’s done in a considered non-partisan way.

Musk is the total opposite, he is rash, divisive and a terrible communicator alongside some very extreme views. His inability to read the room has been costing Tesla sales for years now.

I’ve fixed the above post for you.

I agree, in the past, he was a great one man sales team. However, those days are firmly in the past.

His public perception has shifted radically from tech genius who can do no wrong to someone who can at best be described as ‘Marmite’ and at worst a complete <insert your choice of insult here>.

He lost all credibility over ‘pedo guy’ and ‘funding secured’ and it went further downhill from there.

There is a really good reason why prominent public figures and big company CEOs seldom comment on anything political and when they do it’s done in a considered non-partisan way.

Musk is the total opposite, he is rash, divisive and a terrible communicator alongside some very extreme views. His inability to read the room has been costing Tesla sales for years now.
I think you are making a mistake to dismiss him as a spent force

I think you are making a mistake to dismiss him as a spent force
I’m not dismissing him as a spent force, I never said or implied that.

However, his current behaviour and very public political stances ARE detrimental to the brand any anything he is associated with. This is particularly the case in Europe which takes a much more progressive/moderate approach to politics.

He could turn things around but it’s going to take years for him to win back the respect he once had, if that’s even possible.

I’m sorry if the Elon fan club can’t see or accept this but it doesn’t change reality.

For the record, I’m not some Tesla ‘hater’, I’m on my second and have no plans to change that anytime soon. It’s a good overall package that I’d recommend to others. I also live in the real world where I recognise that Musk is doing a fantastic job of rubbing a hell of a lot of people up the wrong way at the moment. Not only does it turn them away from the brand, it turns them away from EVs in general.

Plenty of people say they wouldn’t buy a Tesla because they hate Musk...but I suspect that they really mean, until my favorite German car company (the irony) makes a car that I want or can afford then I will not buy any EV...or they want a cheap Chinese car (further irony) or that it is an excuse not to buy an EV at all (or at least for now).
There probably are documented cases of people who have not bought a Tesla because of Musk...and we all know of a friend of a friend who did...but I suspect it’s quite rare.
For most it’s just another stick to beat EVs with

Trump has said he's going to stop EV car sales in the US, or variations on the the theme including high taxes on imports

Musk comes out in full support of Trump

Call me cynical... but could the two topics be related?

Itonically, back here, if Musk was the cause for Tesla's falling sales in Europe it would be an easier fix than trying to come up with a product line up people would buy in greater numbers, fix the customer service perception, and address the other reasons why people are buying more EVs but fewer Teslas.

I think Tesla’s mission statement is to seed the market…people have incredible loyalty to car brands and are more than willing to buy an inferior car because of their perceived value in the badge. We always knew that the legacy manufacturers would be forced (by Tesla) to build EVs.
I suspect that the only real surprise is how quickly China has caught up and dominated the market.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Trump has said he's going to stop EV car sales in the US, or variations on the the theme including high taxes on imports

Trump is not going to outlaw EV car sales. Rather he is against the large US federal subsides and the regulations putting the thumb on the scales against non-EV cars. Import taxes is a bigger issue and aimed at levelling the international trade inequality.

I'd say Musk is more anti the current US Democratic Party rather than pro-Trump. And a free speech absolutist.

But I try to avoid political commentary here. So I apologise.

Call me cynical... but could the two topics be related?

Itonically, back here, if Musk was the cause for Tesla's falling sales in Europe it would be an easier fix than trying to come up with a product line up people would buy in greater numbers, fix the customer service perception, and address the other reasons why people are buying more EVs but fewer Teslas.

I believe that politics are normally off-topic, but I think in this exceptional case it might be worth correcting the record.

Facts/evidence:-

Musk has said he does not endorse Trump. Source: Fri 31 May 2024 Elon Musk says he hasn't discussed taking a role in a second Trump administration

Elon Musk says he hasn't talked to Donald Trump about joining his government if Trump's elected.

Musk was responding to earlier reports saying that Trump was mulling an advisory role for him.

The billionaire has grown critical of President Joe Biden but has stopped short of endorsing Trump.

Musk has often said that he only voted Democrat until recently. I think Musk (from memory) has only had an opportunity to vote twice for a Republican since the infamous attacks on him & Tesla by social media accounts run on behalf of (their names, some staffer probably runs) Elisabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and a California Assembleywoman using language which is probably banned on TMC.

Fremont (from memory) was the last USA car making plant to be allowed to open.

In May 2020, Gonzalez criticized Elon Musk for opening Tesla, Inc. during the COVID-19 pandemic in California, and for threatening to move Tesla out of California because of the state's factory re-opening restrictions. She also sent out a tweet that said 'F--k Elon Musk'.[48] Tesla subsequently announced on October 7, 2021, that it was moving its headquarters from California to Austin, Texas

Some people may not be aware that the judge overseeing several key Elon/Tesla/X lawsuits is a Democratic appointee

Kathaleen McCormick - Wikipedia
In September 2018, Governor John Carney nominated McCormick and Morgan Zurn to two new vice-chancellor positions on the Delaware Court of Chancery. These appointments raised the total number of judges on the court from five to seven, the first such expansion since 1989 {opinion: bit suspect is it not?}

She then APPOINTED HERSELF to these cases. She could have spread them across multiple juges, but she kept all of them for herself.

Then there's the perceived or actual reason why she may have been biased.

Source
In a March 2018 email, Hunter Biden claimed to personally know every judge on the Delaware Chancery Court while threatening legal action against his Chinese business partners.

"I will bring the suit in the Chancery court in Delaware - which as you know is my home state and I am privileged to have worked with and know every judge on the chancery court."

After Elon Musk purchased Twitter with the stated goal of restoring free-speech, President Biden called for a federal investigation into Musk on the podium at the White House.

Following this, the Biden Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, and Federal Trade Commission initiated legal actions and investigations against Tesla, SpaceX, and X.

This recent decision by Judge McCormick, who worked with Biden's top donors and was nominated by Biden's close friend, to override Tesla's board and the majority of its shareholders is another clear example of the Biden administration and its allies weaponizing the American legal system against their political opponents.

Now for my opinion:-

There was an anti-billionaire attack line from certain politicians, it was identified as a fruitful way to get power. Elon was especially targeted. It was unrelenting and hateful.

Elon responded. He has that right and I think many of us would have behaved similarly.

Rest in Peace Jack Rickard - from 2019

The Tesla Conspiracy… or Am I a Dead Whistleblower? - Fully Charged Show or The Tesla Conspiracy… or Am I a Dead Whistleblower? - EVTV LLC

The irony is double. It looks like the oil companies and automakers have no possibility of losing this one. In reality, they have no way to win it. One man has them totally surrounded, outnumbered, and outgunned.

Elon Musk.

Last edited:
Trump is not going to outlaw EV car sales. Rather he is against the large US federal subsides and the regulations putting the thumb on the scales against non-EV cars. Import taxes is a bigger issue and aimed at levelling the international trade inequality.

I'd say Musk is more anti the current US Democratic Party rather than pro-Trump. And a free speech absolutist.

But I try to avoid political commentary here. So I apologise.
And Elon was also the first to leave Trump’s “business council” when Trump pulled US out of the Paris accords. So no, he’s not a blind supporter of Trump. But Elon is extremely annoyed with Biden especially after the “Mary led” and Tesla shunned from white house meeting. I just wish Elon didn’t take that so hard because it’s obvious Biden was sucking up to the unions.

Surprised to see so many new MP3's available already in the inventory considering they are not even available yet for a week or so.

Tells me that they are not shifting in the numbers they were expecting. The ridiculous 9.6% APR for one will be putting a lot, including me, off.

Also annoying as I know I can go online and order one for pick up next Saturday and the man maths part is saying 'do it' but the sensible part of me is saying give a couple of months and the apr will half or the price will drop a good few K.

The new M3P. Well at £60K and specked with white interior and FSD and red paint its a £70K car. Given parts availability is poor, extended repair times, the ease in which cars are written off and the residuals I cant see any waiting time for those that must have one.
The days of being able to sell everything produced are long gone, plus we are wise now to "coming soon", "Imminent" and "by the end of the year".

There is also considerable choice.

Taking a dispassionate look at Tesla the cars are very cheaply made, everything is clipped on with plastic clips, things the average customer wont ever see are finished poorly, even scrimping on an ounce of paint per car and a few welds short of robust.
I'm not knocking the cars for the sake of it - just my observations as I've taken the car to bits to do jobs

I'm not knocking the cars for the sake of it - just my observations as I've taken the car to bits to do jobs
Don’t tell me you know this only now and going by your 500 posts here I am sure you are aware of this much earlier.

I don’t know what you know about Model 3 when it all started, Tesla consciously made a decision to keep the manufacturing and prices as low as possible to gain maximum profits by lowering production costs. Even DTC in the current form is part of that disruptive model. Every bit of legacy car manufacturing process was questioned and either a newer/cheaper (as you prefer) or technologically advance solutions(Tesla vision) or cost cutting approach (again depending on your views) was chosen. All these plastic clips etc., were part of this model instead of stronger pins the Germans use or the gummy tapes Model S had :). The choice was to use the tape vs clips and obviously clips took fewer minutes to pin all the wires compared to tapes. Elon went with that. I am sure not many knew about this when they bought their Tesla in 2019 but since then repeat customers are more aware of these rattles etc., But people buy Tesla not because they are solid like German marquees but because of the drive train, battery tech, software sophistication, their simplistic design, SC networks and OTA updates and so on.

Have you checked the recent volvo x30, Velar and BMW 1 series (ICE) - their simplistic design layout mirrors early Model 3. But look at their price for what they offer - the Velar base model costs 54K - that doesn’t even have adaptive cruise control. And imagine if that car comes with the standard 60w battery for 250miles - it will cost around 70K. Not many can buy and compare that with the Highland that cost 39,990.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Plenty of people say they wouldn’t buy a Tesla because they hate Musk...but I suspect that they really mean, until my favorite German car company (the irony) makes a car that I want or can afford then I will not buy any EV...or they want a cheap Chinese car (further irony) or that it is an excuse not to buy an EV at all (or at least for now).
There probably are documented cases of people who have not bought a Tesla because of Musk...and we all know of a friend of a friend who did...but I suspect it’s quite rare.
For most it’s just another stick to beat EVs with
Think it’s more of a USA problem where Musk’s political views affect him and Tesla. Rest of the world a lot less I suspect.