Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said again Wednesday that he believes the automaker’s current hardware for its Autopilot system is sufficient for achieving full autonomy. Still, he teased that there will be “more on the hardware front soon.”

In a letter to shareholders, Tesla said Autopilot will soon experience a rapid rollout of additional functionality.

“Now that the foundation of the Tesla vision neural net is right, which was an exceptionally difficult problem, as it must fit into far less computing power than is typically used, we expect a rapid rollout of additional functionality over the next several months and are progressing rapidly towards our goal of a coast-to-coast drive with no one touching the controls.”

That dream of a vehicle with full-self-driving capability is being pursued largely through advances in artificial intelligence. According to the shareholder letter:

“The Tesla AI team, which is fundamental to achieving full autonomy, strengthened dramatically this year, with a number of the world’s best AI engineers and researchers joining our company. We plan to continue building Tesla AI until it is one of the best teams in the world, not just in automotive, where Tesla is already the leader, but across all industries. This applies to both software and hardware.”

Tesla recently appointed accomplished AI researcher Andrej Karpathy as the head of AI and Autopilot vision.

The company has yet to give a clear timeline as to when it expects to achieve full self-driving capability. Still, it sells a “Full Self-Driving” option that it will enable for purchasers once complete and regulatory compliant.

Musk noted that he’s confident full autonomy is possible with current hardware, but regulators could require a safety standard greater than “approximate human level.” He said it’s possible autonomous capability will need to be a hundred or thousand times safer than human capability to receive endorsement from regulators.

He said if regulators require a level of safety unachievable by current hardware, the company will replace onboard computers for those who have already purchased the Full Self Driving option.

“I’m certain our hardware strategy is better than any other option,” Musk said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elon also commented yesterday that if the current EAP (AP2) computer ultimately does not prove capable of supporting FDSC (he used that term specifically) than Tesla would swap it out and plug in a more powerful computer, which he said would be “easy”. He said he believed that would not be necessary but an important factor that Tesla cannot control is what the regulators decide as to how safe an autonomous vehicle has to be compared to human drivers, and he said that right now the regulators have not specified that parameter.

Listen to the Q3 Earning Call and read the article that the OP links to, which quotes Elon as referring to getting the “Tesla Vision neural net” right. In my opinion, this is obviously about EAP since that is the hardware that will be used for FSDC.
thanks for the advice, I might read the attached article but listening to elon drone on and perform the dog and pony show to me is torturous.

The statements about AP2 in the earnings letter are pure marketing speak: no features listed, no timeline, no details whatsoever. I'm not sure how any of this is news.

Three months maybe, six months definitely?

Do not assume anything that has not been delivered already.

AP2 development has read here like a biased random walk that's slowly improved base driving functionality. The latest update seems to have made highway driving much better, but there could still be stagnation or steps backwards.

Elon Musk has $many reasons to pump the features ahead of availability.

The source is
Elon Musk hints at a new Tesla Autopilot hardware announcement?

I have a good feeling that the coming Nov 16 will have the following...

The Tesla Semi (obviously)
Supercharger V3 (rumoured to have more than 350kwh charging speed)
New hardware suite (less likely)
EAP&FSD updates (with delivery "soon" or "next couple months")

Some indication
Lots of model s/x in stock in Canada are now all claimed by tesla to be used as loaner (so no more car in stock)

According to order Google sheet from model s forum, some folks ordered and confirmed on early Oct but didn't get VIN until end of Oct.

Some folks ordered model s recently got delivery date Jan-Feb 2018

What do you think?

Life sucks if a major hardware update happens right after delivery date... I placed my order on Oct 28 and I feel sad after reading more news...

Thanks for your reply

He also embarrassed himself during the conference call by yelling out shame or some such words at a reporter who asked him hard questions about finances and production.
Did you listen to the earnings call?

I did. Elon used the word “shame” (with no yelling) in reference to those journalists who wrote stories about Tesla’s recent firing of some workers who failed their annual performance review because their articles failed to provide any context.

He said that hundreds of workers also got promoted because of their excellent performance reviews. He said that Tesla fired a far smaller percentage of their work force then other car companies had done due to poor performance.

I heard no yelling. I did hear him get emotional talking about this subject because he clearly felt that the reporting was very poor and did not provide the necessary context for the reader to understand what Tesla had done.