Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Event -- November 16, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The design is terrific.

I'll be the first one to say it. It's a nice car, but not exactly my taste/style. It's certainly a supercar, and looks like all the other supercars (sorry, Franz). I was hoping for something a little more subtle and sophisticated, like Aston Martin DB11 or BMW Z8.

. I was sure it would be model 3 base, but I expected a $100K car.

Yeah, me too. See my post about the tax implications of the "free roadster" referral prize in the referral thread.

Reactions: ohmman
I'm thinking they will be filled before this Christmas. There's a boatload of Middle Eastern <20 y.o. princes who will get a present from daddy. And then if the Federal tax plan goes through, there will be a lot more people who have excess disposable income who will have even more excess disposable income - it's called "trickle up" economics. I would plunk down the $250K cash deposit but only if Tesla offers lease options and we retain the $7,500 tax credit until I take delivery! ;)
Really?

Did anyone else catch the "megacharger" phrase (instead of supercharger)? Also, where are these rigs going to charge while the megachargers are being built? I would argue most of the supercharger locations are absolutely not set up for a big rig without the driver disconnecting and parking his trailer then hooking up to charge... That is a serious drawback... since battery swaps were not mentioned in the unveil I'm guessing that isn't going to happen for a while...

Did anyone else catch the "megacharger" phrase (instead of supercharger)? Also, where are these rigs going to charge while the megachargers are being built? I would argue most of the supercharger locations are absolutely not set up for a big rig without the driver disconnecting and parking his trailer then hooking up to charge... That is a serious drawback... since battery swaps were not mentioned in the unveil I'm guessing that isn't going to happen for a while...

I suspect that they'll charge at fleet bases, serving limited routes first, and the Megachargers will be built according to customer demand. Expect some at Meijers.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Also, where are these rigs going to charge while the megachargers are being built? I would argue most of the supercharger locations are absolutely not set up for a big rig without the driver disconnecting and parking his trailer then hooking up to charge... That is a serious drawback...
The new SuC site on Hwy 5 in Kettleman City has two huge, suspicious parking areas for "vans." Hwy 5 is THE major artery connecting Southern California ( L.A. area) and Northern California (S.F. area). Kettleman City is a major truck stop hub with major services (including tire service, washrooms, mega rest areas) for big rigs. What better way to advertise your electric truck!

I think Elon is way ahead of us here!

• Informative
Oh wow... yea I was wondering how they would achieve those charging speeds. Thanks for the informative reply!

Just reposting stuff from another thread @islandbayy (KMan video from the event). From Tesla's Tweeted video, there are four battery packs, so I'm assuming each motor gets an independent pack and charges independently (and simultaneously). Great for fault tolerance and reuse.

• Informative
You should say all around sonar aka ultrasonic sensors, and yes it has 360 coverage with sonar from the 3rd axle forward, including rear facing that will help for getting distance to the trailer when you go to hook up. (I'm assuming people will buy the semi and use old trailers without sensors). Maybe Tesla sells new trailers with ultrasonic sensors as well.

But no matter what the trailer has the tractor has ultrasonic sensors.

Is this official from Tesla?

Ultrasonics are only good for low-speed maneuvers eg. parking. They need corner radars at least on a semi where I assume safety and redundancy requirements will be higher than passenger cars.

But there was no mention of automatic lane changes so maybe Tesla Semi won’t do that and hardware requirement will be lower, that is, ultrasonics will suffice.

Last edited:
okay so it sounds like the semis won't be using the exiting supercharger pedestals at all then? It will be new equipment if they are charging at the same site.
BINGO, we have a winner! Can you imagine stopping at the SuC in your Tesla with your family and here is this futuristic huge truck charging in an area adjacent to you - silently, not idling, not belching smoke, driver sitting in his middle seat playing video games on his U.I. ! Your kids will experience blown minds too! They (girls too) will want to be an electric truck driver when they grow up! Heck, I wish I were younger!

Last edited:
  • Funny
BINGO, we have a winner! Can you imagine stopping at the SuC in your Tesla with your family and here is this futuristic huge truck charging in an area adjacent to you - silently, not idling, not belching smoke, driver sitting in his middle seat playing video games on his U.I. ! Your kids will experience blown minds too! They (girls too) will want to be an electric truck driver when they grow up! Heck, I wish I were younger!
Ha. And I would immediately tell them not to take that career path as these will be autonomous by the time they're old enough to drive. :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: ElecFan and T34ME
Is this official from Tesla?

Ultrasonics are only good for low-speed maneuvers eg. parking. They need corner radars at least on a semi where I assume safety and redundancy requirements will be higher than passenger cars.

But there was no mention of automatic lane changes so maybe Tesla Semi won’t do that and hardware requirement will be lower, that is, ultrasonics will suffice.

Just watch the video closely, when the Tesla truck passes the diesel going up hill there are ultrasonic waves coming out from the sides, front corners, and rear of the semi tractor. Tesla uses a different color for radar out the front.

• Informative
Reactions: lux_cars