Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Event -- November 16, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha. And I would immediately tell them not to take that career path as these will be autonomous by the time they're old enough to drive. :oops:
Very true. But someone has to be in the home office, tracking all these autonomous trucks on the computer, monitoring all the on-board systems, routing all the deliveries. Americans should not be afraid of changes and the future. If we embrace progressive ideals our future will be bright indeed1

Very true. But someone has to be in the home office, tracking all these autonomous trucks on the computer, monitoring all the on-board systems, routing all the deliveries. Americans should not be afraid of changes and the future. If we embrace progressive ideals our future will be bright indeed1

Eventually, when AI gets to human level intelligence and beyond, wouldn’t it replace that job too?

Just reposting stuff from another thread @islandbayy (KMan video from the event). From Tesla's Tweeted video, there are four battery packs, so I'm assuming each motor gets an independent pack and charges independently (and simultaneously). Great for fault tolerance and reuse.
Yep, but that means 400 kW average to each ~ 250 kWh pack over the 30 minutes that 400 miles of range are accumulated.

400 volts at 100 Amps average. Somewhere around 1.6c average
Either batteries are going to get a lot better real soon, or the voltage is going up.

I doubt it.
Agree, you probably want motor draw coming from the whole pack, as well as regen going into the whole pack, since each motor can have different levels of power flowing through them at any point in time. You would end up with unbalanced packs if each motor was wired to a specific pack. Though I guess that's less of a concern if each pack is charged individually.

Agree, you probably want motor draw coming from the whole pack, as well as regen going into the whole pack, since each motor can have different levels of power flowing through them at any point in time. You would end up with unbalanced packs if each motor was wired to a specific pack. Though I guess that's less of a concern if each pack is charged individually.
Disagree, since each motor is individually controllable, you can set them to draw the same power. Unless it is in a limited traction condition, all motors will draw the same due to SW control.

While driving, the system can shift loading to balance the packs, if needed. But it wouldn't be needed since they would get balanced at the next charge.

I doubt it. Most likely the batteries power the motors on a parallel circuit.

I think it. If you have a common bus then a single inverter failure can stop the entire system. Same with a single pack failure. To have a common bus and fault tolerance, you would need 2 contactors for each motor and pack. 2x2x4 = 16, vs the 8 needed to isolate packs from a single motor.

What functionality does the extra 8 contactors get you? And why do you want to have a buss that is carrying 4x the max current of one motor?

For charging, doubling pins is not a reliable way of doubling current handling without lots of derating (let alone 4x pins), so charging each pack independently allows greater overall power while reusing existing mechanical and electrical components.

Reactions: 3Victoria
Yep, but that means 400 kW average to each ~ 250 kWh pack over the 30 minutes that 400 miles of range are accumulated.

400 volts at 100 Amps average. Somewhere around 1.6c average
Either batteries are going to get a lot better real soon, or the voltage is going up.

I'm thinking 250kW each to 4x200kWh packs with a kWh/mile around 1.3 so 1.25C.
When you say voltage going up, are you speaking of the cells themselves? Stacking the same cells doesn't help the C rate.

I'm thinking 250kW each to 4x200kWh packs with a kWh/mile around 1.3 so 1.25C.
The Tesla website says 'under 2 kWh per mile'
If range is 500 miles then the total capacity approaches 1000 kWh and each pack ~ 250 kWh

Each pack is taking 400 kW on average
I just don't see how this is possible at 400v.
Even 800v is a mighty stretch.
Are we looking at a 1600v charging system ??

Last edited:
The Tesla website says 'under 2 kWh per mile'
If range is 500 miles then the total capacity approaches 1000 kWh and each pack ~ 250 kWh

Each pack is taking 400 kW on average
I just don't see how this is possible at 400v.
Even 800v is a mighty stretch.
Are we looking at a 1600v charging system ??

Yeah, I'm thinking its quite a bit under 2 kWh. A 40% diesel at 7 MPG is 2.17 kWh/mile and the Tesla is way smoother ~ half the drag, let's give it a 25% advantage. If we said 1.5 kWh/mile then it only needs to put 150kWh into the sub-packs. In 30 minutes that's a 300kW charge rate into a 250 kWh pack, ~1.2 C which lines up with putting 125kW into a 100 kWh pack. If the pack is 400V, that's 750 Amps.

Lincoln welding says 3/0 cable is good for 650A at a 60% duty cycle. Add liquid cooling, and it's feasible. 8 of those is going to be HEAVY, maybe it has a spring loaded lift mechanism to reduce the effective weight?
May have dropped a decimal somewhere...
:rolleyes:

Disagree, since each motor is individually controllable, you can set them to draw the same power.
Except that defeats the whole point of torque vectoring, which adjust the draw and regen of each motor in real time. This will be happening on each corner, not just low traction situations. Remember the S/X D models already use 2 motors on one pack, and the Rimac uses 4 motors and torque vectoring with one pack.