Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi Event -- November 16, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to take a couple of deep breaths. Beyond all the technical details and hoopla, this kind of progress on the battery side, coupled with the vehemently plunging costs of renewable energy generation, is truly mind boggling. Never would have thought I'd live to see this at the turn of the millenium.

:confused::)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Here’s a decent YouTube livestream:

I just want to stop by here real quick and thank you. My livestream of the event was out for enough time to have me searching frantically to find a different way to watch it when I came across your post. It worked and I watched that thread until I got the official one to work again. Missed a little bit, but I’ll just rewatch it (again and again). Much appreciated for the link. Thank you.

I was so over stimulated last night from seeing the Justice League and that awesome semi then the Roadster!.....I was in overload!...

However, Tesla has taken the Model S and X pretty much as far as it can go with options....now to wow us they need to do better on range. And I think they are on that track....I hope. I would love 500 range! or even 400.

I thought the event was fairly weak. The semi is a year behind an ideal schedule. Showing the roadster now was a questionable decision probably made to ensure this event had enough impact.

Tesla must execute on the model 3. The next critically important vehicle is the model Y.

Tesla has 30,000 employees and a lot of talent. Of course they can design and build prototypes of any sort of electric vehicle imaginable. Why not show a speed boat and motorcycle too. Turn Franz loose.

I do give Musk credit for not overselling the truck. Tesla shoud be able to achieve what he is selling.

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
I fully expect the 1000 founder slots to be filled quickly.
I'm thinking they will be filled before this Christmas. There's a boatload of Middle Eastern <20 y.o. princes who will get a present from daddy. And then if the Federal tax plan goes through, there will be a lot more people who have excess disposable income who will have even more excess disposable income - it's called "trickle up" economics. I would plunk down the $250K cash deposit but only if Tesla offers lease options and we retain the $7,500 tax credit until I take delivery! ;)

I have to give big kudos to Franz and team for the really great lines of both the new Roadster and the Semi. I can say I'll never look at a semi the same way again. And the Roadster, well just hope living here in the bay area I'll get to see one on occasion in person. Thought the red was especially stunning. Wonder what the range of color choices will be for it.
Can't help but notice the model 3 DNA (rather than MS) in the Roadster - similar flares over front and rear wheels, ascending accent design on side panel, front fascia, similar roof swoop. I see a redesign of the MS in the near future that will follow this design language.

have to wonder what the manufacturers are saying among themselves after today.
Nurse, nurse, another Depends please, I just soiled myself.

Time to take a couple of deep breaths. Beyond all the technical details and hoopla, this kind of progress on the battery side, coupled with the vehemently plunging costs of renewable energy generation, is truly mind boggling. Never would have thought I'd live to see this at the turn of the millenium.
When I saw the specs on the Semi, my mind was blown. When I saw the specs on the Roadster, my mind exploded!

I'm thinking they will be filled before this Christmas. There's a boatload of Middle Eastern <20 y.o. princes who will get a present from daddy. And then if the Federal tax plan goes through, there will be a lot more people who have excess disposable income who will have even more excess disposable income - it's called "trickle up" economics. I would plunk down the $250K cash deposit but only if Tesla offers lease options and we retain the $7,500 tax credit until I take delivery! ;)

Didn’t a whole bunch of those middle eastern princes, from Saudi Arabia specifically, just get arrested and thrown in jail for “corruption?"

Does anyone know what kind of AP hardware the semi has?

Really hoping it’s not just cameras and there is at least all around radar.

You should say all around sonar aka ultrasonic sensors, and yes it has 360 coverage with sonar from the 3rd axle forward, including rear facing that will help for getting distance to the trailer when you go to hook up. (I'm assuming people will buy the semi and use old trailers without sensors). Maybe Tesla sells new trailers with ultrasonic sensors as well.

But no matter what the trailer has the tractor has ultrasonic sensors.

The Tesla website says < 2 kWh per mile. I'll call it two.

The 500 mile range then requires 1000 kWh of battery
400 miles of charge in 30 minutes then implies an AVERAGE 1600 kW charge rate.

My LEAF is starting to feel a little Golf-carty, and the numbers are getting so big it reminds me of the heydays in computers where we had to get used to new units of measurement to not get bogged down in speech.

"How fast does YOUR truck charge ?"
"Sad to say, under 2 MW. It is a 1st Gen."

I'm thinking they will be filled before this Christmas.

Considering the da Vinci that just sold for 450mil, you are probably right.

I do think Tesla playing the roadster II card now is a negative short to medium term indicator. It's early.

The design is terrific. Franz does it again.

I wonder if its model 3 based, or next gen model S based. I was sure it would be model 3 base, but I expected a $100K car.