Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Refrigerated cargo (uses diesel powered refrigerators attached to the trailer currently) would be another use case.
There was a TMC tread showing a trailor with a battery based refregirator to replace a diesel powered refrigerator.

The battery then can recharged when parked, using an offshore electrical connection

53' trailer ~ 3400 ft^3
Average cargo is 10 lbs per ft^3
The argument that you must accommodate the full weight, full time is moot.
Just like the 'need' for 700 mile range cars

For company owned fleets, there may be a case for giving up weight and extending range (Frito-lay may make this choice). And there may be a strong case for always maxing out the weight (Pepsi may make this choice). These are predictable loads.

In either case, 500 mile range may just be good enough.

However, for private operators, full weight, full time is immaterial. They would be handicapping themselves by not having the option to take on a full weight haul. Apples and baseballs comparing this to the 'need' for 700 mile range cars.

It depends on the use. If it is an enclosed trailer backed up to a dock, I would have no problem with charging while loading/unloading. (Docks often have shore power hookup to refer trailers in situations like this, so it isn't uncommon to have power hooked while loading/unloading.)

If it is a flatbed trailer loaded/unloaded from the side, then I would be less inclined to charge at the same time.
Cables on overhead gantry with auto retractors?

Way back, Tesla had patents on ground mounted under vehicle pop up charge connection systems.

What's inside the Semi, some ponder... CyberTruck? A new model? Maybe it's nothing. But the marketing opportunity is ripe IMO for both Pepsi and Tesla.

- Tesla: 81,000 lbs, 500 mi range, 60 mph uphill, in the passing lane!
- Pepsi: Fastest, Cleanest Delivery.

So for fun, I wanted to know how big 81,000 lbs things would be. For example, a giant Pepsi bottle on it's side crossed my mind for some friendly cross advertising. Would it fit? Not even close.

An 81,000 lbs bottle of Pepsi (water) would need to be carrying about 10,000 cu.ft. Turns out, the volume inside a 53' semi is only 6,000 cu.ft. To my surprise, fill a large semi trailer to the top with water and it's still only about half the max load. So it needs denser material, like metal.

An IDRA press must weigh a lot. Maybe a small part of it could fit, but not much splash. It does provide a segue to CyberTruck, meh.

Would every Tesla Vehicle fit? Maybe, light load, but would be cool with CyberTruck followed by a covered car not to be revealed.

Maybe it's just helium balloons. Tesla Margins are important
81k is the total weight, subtract tractor and trailer for max cargo.
Water is 62.4 pounds per cubic foot (8 pound per gallon). A filled trailer would be around 374k pounds of water.

Amazing specs on the Semi. It uses about 2kWh/m and goes 500 miles on a charge (fully loaded!) so the battery pack must be about 1,000kWh. The drive train runs at 1,000V. It can charge at up to 1mW. It uses three Tesla Plaid motors and can seamlessly transition — no driver input required — between running on the front motor only or all three motors when required, like going up a steep grade or accelerating rapidly.

Elon made a pointed comment about how ”some people” did not believe the Semi would be able go 500 miles on a single charge while fully loaded. He was of course referring to the CEO of Mercedes.

Amazing specs on the Semi. It uses about 2kWh/m and goes 500 miles on a charge (fully loaded!) so the battery pack must be about 1,000kWh. The drive train runs at 1,000V. It can charge at up to 1mW. It uses three Tesla Plaid motors and can seamlessly transition — no driver input required — between running on the front motor only or all three motors when required, like going up a steep grade or accelerating rapidly.

Elon made a pointed comment about how ”some people” did not believe the Semi would be able go 500 miles on a single charge while fully loaded. He was of course referring to the CEO of Mercedes.
And Bill Gates.

It's interesting that they went with the Model S/X Motors instead of the Y/3 family. Makes sense that they only need 3 motors. The clutch interconnection is a bit surprising. I wasn't expecting that. Congratulations Tesla on finally hitting the street with the SEMI. This can have much more impact for pollution and GHGs per vehicle than any other road vehicle.

Although max speed is not something that is relevant here.

Well that is max motor speed. For Semi use, I assume they geared it down (for more torque multiplication), so max vehicle speed is low, but they could rev the motors up to high RPMs

Also, they mentioned that Cybertruck should have megacharging support. I wonder if that means 2 different charging sockets.