Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we know that? (Do you have a link to a source?)
It was part of a discussion during the Tesla Semi launch event. I don't recall exactly where. Hopefully someone else does. If not I can go back and listen to the event again. I hope someone else does have taht data because I don't really wan to listen to it all again.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I just heard that the Tesla Semi will be built at the 1 million ft2 plant in Livermore CA. It sits on the rail line between Reno and Fremont, and has a Bart station for worker transport.

Where did you here this? Where is this 1 million ft^2 plant? Google finds me results in Livermore which add up to 1 million or so, but they are separate buildings : https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...aps-up-huge-warehouse-lease-in-livermore.html

I guess that article describes them as having leased 1 million ft^2 so perhaps that's what you meant (versus it being a single 1 million ft^2 building)?

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/longterm-investors-should-keep-on-trucking-cm893856

Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread to discuss which trucking companies will be the best play for exploiting AEV tech. UPS just got in the game with an order for 125 Tesla Semis. But the tech race in more interesting than that. The companies that deploy the tech in the smartest ways will depend on many factors. Size of AEV fleet and charging network will be leading indicators.

But as Martin Tiller points out, not all the cost savings will be passed onto customers. So the savings largely accrue to shareholders. I suppose eventually the cost savings will be passed on to customers, but I suspect this would require AEVs to saturate the market. So the longer the transition takes, the longer leading edge adopters can enjoy superior earnings. Conversely, a faster transition is likely better for AEV truck makers. So it might be a nice play to complement owning Tesla shares.

AMZN :cool: Where's their press release with their semi truck reservation totals? :confused:

On that subject, and of slight peripheral significance to Tesla's Semi, Amazon just placed an order for 350 Ford Transits. Now, those of course are not semi-tractors, and I don't know their eventual usage, but I'm suspecting they're for fresh food delivery or some such - something they'll not be subbing out to FedEX/UPS etc.

On that subject, and of slight peripheral significance to Tesla's Semi, Amazon just placed an order for 350 Ford Transits. Now, those of course are not semi-tractors, and I don't know their eventual usage, but I'm suspecting they're for fresh food delivery or some such - something they'll not be subbing out to FedEX/UPS etc.
Those are for their in house transport and they already many in the fleet. They deliver to addressES within the local delivery area of the fulfillment center. If my item is in stock at N. Houston fulfillment center it gets delivered Amazon transit if it's in stock anywhere else it will be delivered the traditional ways.

Reactions: D-egg-O
I just heard that the Tesla Semi will be built at the 1 million ft2 plant in Livermore CA. It sits on the rail line between Reno and Fremont, and has a Bart station for worker transport.

Is this the same Livermore site you mention? If so then Tesla may be much further ahead on this project than people might expect given that this article first mentioning Tesla utilization of this space is from May of 2016. Have you heard any further details? I remember reading the article when it first appeared but then did not follow up on it afterwards, thus my complete unfamiliarity with how this space is currently being used (apologies for that).

Possible Tesla expansion in Livermore

• Informative
Is this the same Livermore site you mention? If so then Tesla may be much further ahead on this project than people might expect given that this article first mentioning Tesla utilization of this space is from May of 2016. Have you heard any further details? I remember reading the article when it first appeared but then did not follow up on it afterwards, thus my complete unfamiliarity with how this space is currently being used (apologies for that).

Possible Tesla expansion in Livermore
I thought I saw the article on Electrek, but no and now I have not been able to find the source. The article was saying that Headquarters and Engineering were also making the move. This was challenged -and concluded that only the brass and engineers for the Semi are moving, and the Fremont space will remain the head honcho place.

I thought I saw the article on Electrek, but no and now I have not been able to find the source. The article was saying that Headquarters and Engineering were also making the move. This was challenged -and concluded that only the brass and engineers for the Semi are moving, and the Fremont space will remain the head honcho place.
Actually the "head honcho" place is Deer Creek Road, Palo Alto. Unless you also count the design center in Hawthorne.

• Informative
Hmm, that link required signing in aparently. Posting a screenshot instead.
upload_2017-12-22_12-3-7.png

When the Model 3 was revealed, folks stood in line at stores and online and placed thousands of orders. That had to be satisfying to the Tesla team. It also had to be terrifying. Glad you like my product - but can we possibly produce that many?
Now comes the Semi- so many orders coming in that it must feel like Model 3 days all over again. What a wonderful condition to have--so many orders one has a hard time delivering.
As to the competition - to have so many customers screaming for a product that is not yours - should be a wake up call to designers and management that they have been so busy telling their customers what they want (advertising) that they missed the true wants of their customers.
Interesting times....place your bets. There are fortunes to be made, and lost.