Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bad, I said 6c/kWh, it is actually 7c. Although there are plans that can get me even 5c kWh.

View attachment 271526
Ahhh yea, not 7c all in though. Your energy provider charges 7c but Oncor charges 4c/kwh for the infrastructure. Same for me I get charged total like 12c per but get an $85/credit when I go over 1K. I was looking for a better providor because I burn through 3,000+ with my crypoto mining.

I wonder if the 7c elon quoted was total cost to the truck or if there would be other provider charges put in somehow.

Reactions: neroden
My bad, I said 6c/kWh, it is actually 7c. Although there are plans that can get me even 5c kWh.

View attachment 271526
I dont see your 7 cents. Looks to me like you pay $139.70 for 1052 kWh - or 13.3 cents. You gotta pay for getting it there, plus a bite to taxes. And also there is that little line that said you were paying 12 cents, before taxes. Cant just take a line out of the middle.

I dont see your 7 cents. Looks to me like you pay $139.70 for 1052 kWh - or 13.3 cents. You gotta pay for getting it there, plus a bite to taxes. And also there is that little line that said you were paying 12 cents, before taxes. Cant just take a line out of the middle.
Sorry - looks like I piled on - should have read the posts below yours and not repeating the blast.

Cost of the system is $2.50/w and should produce at a 10 year amortized of $0.047 kWh
Why do you amortize over 10 years, when the system is likely good for much longer ?
And I do wonder at your arithmetic. It is unlikely that you will produce more than 2 kWh a watt annually, so 20 kWh over 10 years. The installed cost would have to be 94 cents a watt before financing.

4.7 cents/kWh over the lifetime of the array sounds more ballpark to me.

I haven't read anything about side loading packs - and don't see mention of it searching back through Dec - can you elaborate/link please?
From the Tesla video of the semi showing the individual components, the sides of the battery packs are the only locations without frame structure. So it looks like they slide in from the side.
Wondering if the ability to swap would be useful, possibly from a power relocation point of view. Such as as short cab, no 5th wheel version moving MWh of power between SC stations.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and skitown
Why do you amortize over 10 years, when the system is likely good for much longer ?
And I do wonder at your arithmetic. It is unlikely that you will produce more than 2 kWh a watt annually, so 20 kWh over 10 years. The installed cost would have to be 94 cents a watt before financing.

4.7 cents/kWh over the lifetime of the array sounds more ballpark to me.
So I just posted a few of the details, and rounded at that. Buying 7.92 kW system that replaces 96% of my estimated future consumption, and Net Metering rules prevent me from going higher, even if future consumption increases. $2.42 /w of installed capacity - that drops to $1.55/w after a bunch of rebates. Warranties for for various aspects start at 5 years, have 10 year, 12 year, 25 year terms, depending on what feature is being looked at. This from the vendor I selected. Looked at 6 vendors - got various panels, inverters, microinverters, and contractor warranties. To have a common basis for price comparison, I ran a Present Value calculation on every aspect at 10 years. I picked this common denominator because that is how long of a guarantee I have on my life. [right - like I really know when I'm going to croak]. I did not put into this evaluation financing cost, or alternative investment opportunity cost. I did not insert any dollar value to the "save the world by going solar" or any feel good aspect to the investment. Somebody will buy my house from my widow and pay something for the increased value of hardware on my roof. By running a PV at 10 years, I don't have to guess what value that may be. I needed some number to compare against the do-nothing option and continuing to pay the $/kWh that my supplier charges in a complex batch of rate options, that are always in their favor. Bottom line - I pay 14 cents to TEP or 4.7 cents to my self. <== exactly what your Ballpark was. I achieve a 8.8 year payout against today's rate structure. Not a great investment, but not a bad one either. Wish I could tap into Tesla 7 cent mega-chargers and pay that rate for life. but, then that reality thing happens.

Bottom line - I pay 14 cents to TEP or 4.7 cents to my self. <== exactly what your Ballpark was. I achieve a 8.8 year payout against today's rate structure. Not a great investment, but not a bad one either. Wish I could tap into Tesla 7 cent mega-chargers and pay that rate for life. but, then that reality thing happens.
Thanks for sharing.

My wife often tells me of her more elderly friends who are interested in PV but refuse to buy it because of the timeline to recoup costs and enjoy the cheap energy. Makes sense I guess, although a longer time horizon shows that you made a very nice investment indeed. Your array may be one of the last group to enjoy net metering, and as such end up being a much better investment than you figured due to an enviable resale value if the net metering continues on to the next owner.

May you outlive the array.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Workhorse W-15 Orders Now Open To The Public | CleanTechnica

Workhorse W-15 is a plug-in hybrid pickup with 80 mile battery only range. The company now has 5300 reservations mostly from utilities and other fleet operators. They are now opening reservations to individuals.

I take this as confirmation of demand for electric pickups. The commercial fleet angle is important. I think Tesla could build on the Semi to enter commercial grade pickups. I hope they unveil a pickup within two years to begin production by 2021. It's time.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
Tesla Semi Customers Will Build Their Own Charging Stations | CleanTechnica

This is pretty much what we've been discussing. Large corporate Tesla Semi reservation holders are working with Tesla on developing their own charging infrastructure. Some are looking to include solar installations. And some companies are exploring shared charging infrastructure.

I think this is looking very good for Tesla Energy.

I would have preferred that Tesla enter the local delivery market instead of the semi market.

The charging infrastructure would be much more straightforward since it would be based on specific locations where trucks are routinely parked overnight.

The battery requirement would be much less since delivery trucks travel something like 100 miles/day, not the 300-mile semi range. Delivery trucks also don't have max gross weights of 40 tons or travel (much) at highway speeds. The stop-and-go nature is perfect for an E-Truck.

The semis also won't get regenerative braking from the trailer wheels.

Postal delivery vehicles are a perfect choice for electrification.