Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did people buy Tesla because it's in the F class, or did people buy tesla because it's an electric car? There's a reason Tesla chose to compete in the F class vs the D class
Think you meant E class as F class is only a concept car. (D class? is that for Diesel? or perhaps S class?)

Few current buyers buy Model S/X because they are electric but because they are the best value -
safest, quickest, cheapest to operate and perhaps coolest?

later.

Think you meant E class as F class is only a concept car. (D class? is that for Diesel? or perhaps S class?)

Few current buyers buy Model S/X because they are electric but because they are the best value -
safest, quickest, cheapest to operate and perhaps coolest?

later.

No I meant F class, just like I said. D class is not diesels, although it could include them.

Competitors - we shall see how well they compete - I don't claim this is a complete list - India/China?

www.wrightspeed.com [Ian Wright one of the original founders of Tesla Motors] I know, a serial hybrid

Mercedes-Benz Electric Truck: First fully electric truck | Daimler
Daimler unveils heavy-duty all-electric truck concept with ‘up to 220 miles’ range

Volvo Truck tests a hybrid vehicle for long haul

Scania/Siemens
Running Delivery Trucks on Trolley Wires Isn’t as Crazy as It Sounds

Cummins - I didn't find any web presence, so here is forbes article
Cummins Beats Tesla To The Punch, Unveiling Heavy Duty Electric Truck

TM4 [sumo] - another motor supplier - perhaps more of a Cummins competitor
Direct drive electric powertrain - TM4

Read why Fercam (EU) is ordering from Tesla
Elektromobilität: Fercam ordert als Erster Teslas Elektro-Lkw nach Europa

suggested search term
number of US trucking companies

IF the world's Banksters and Real Estate Speculators and Military Industrial Complex and CIA/Middle East Operations don't crash the world's economy - I suspect Trucks might electrify before autos. (bikes might beat them all).

Reactions: neroden
Competitors - we shall see how well they compete - I don't claim this is a complete list - India/China?

www.wrightspeed.com [Ian Wright one of the original founders of Tesla Motors] I know, a serial hybrid

Mercedes-Benz Electric Truck: First fully electric truck | Daimler
Daimler unveils heavy-duty all-electric truck concept with ‘up to 220 miles’ range

Volvo Truck tests a hybrid vehicle for long haul

Scania/Siemens
Running Delivery Trucks on Trolley Wires Isn’t as Crazy as It Sounds

Cummins - I didn't find any web presence, so here is forbes article
Cummins Beats Tesla To The Punch, Unveiling Heavy Duty Electric Truck

TM4 [sumo] - another motor supplier - perhaps more of a Cummins competitor
Direct drive electric powertrain - TM4

Read why Fercam (EU) is ordering from Tesla
Elektromobilität: Fercam ordert als Erster Teslas Elektro-Lkw nach Europa

suggested search term
number of US trucking companies

IF the world's Banksters and Real Estate Speculators and Military Industrial Complex and CIA/Middle East Operations don't crash the world's economy - I suspect Trucks might electrify before autos. (bikes might beat them all).
I've been predicting that global diesel demand will peak by 2021, about 5 years before gasoline peaks.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Lessmog
No I meant F class, just like I said. D class is not diesels, although it could include them.

I bought the Roadster used, and then the Model X, because I wanted to drive electric, and these were the cars that enabled me to do so without compromising (and I could afford them). The rest of the F class, or similarly priced vehicles, have never been competitors for my car buying business - the most expensive gas vehicle I purchased previously was under $15k, and I can't think of a gas car I'd pay $20k for.

So part of your original point is absolutely true - the Model S to a non-trivial degree is bringing buyers into its segment that wouldn't otherwise be there. And the same with Model X - there wasn't any cross shopping with competive vehicles for me, because (for me) presences of a fossil fuel engine of any kind removed vehicles from consideration. For a tow rating and ability to haul stuff, I was left with Model X or Model X.

I'd LIKE an electric truck. I believe today that will someday be a Tesla (because I don't really believe Ford or anybody else is taking a fully functional battery electric pickup truck seriously). I believe, right now, that the only company that will tackle that market seriously and build something better than everything else that also happens to be electric, is Tesla. (And no, I probably don't really NEED a truck :)).

And 5 years ago when I got the used Roadster, I'd have much preferred buying a Model 3.

Did people buy Tesla because it's in the F class, or did people buy tesla because it's an electric car? There's a reason Tesla chose to compete in the F class vs the D class

Americans don't know F class from a hole in the ground. I had to google it to see where in the scale it was. I knew before I googled it that it was a European term. Car classification - Wikipedia

Euro Car Segment - Wikipedia

The EPA doesn't have a class that corresponds to the F segment and American marketing is vague for cars that size because there is no legal classification that they have to keep to.

I'd say people bought Tesla because it is a good EV. I and many others will be happy when the Model 3 is coming out in large quantities and I'd even be willing to drive a car smaller than the Model 3.

If you aren't in Houston you might want to change your location in your profile to warn people you are speaking from a Euro mindset and terminology.

Last edited:
Is that loaded or not? Tesla's 500mile range is based on a full 80,000lb load. I guess it might do 1000 miles tractor only ;)

That's one thing I see people keep forgetting. There was an article today (Seeking Alpha maybe?) from someone pointing out (with inflated pack mass figures*** and forgetting to account for all the hardware you remove from a diesel and how Tesla builds general vehicle structures light with advanced alloys) that Semi is going to be a loser because it cuts into payload per trip, and if you're doing more severely weight-limited deliveries - such as 40k lbs - then it's a bigger cut.

Yes, but if you're doing 40k lb deliveries, your range is far longer. Meaning that for the same delivery distance, you can drive at higher speeds (which you can get away with in EVs, within speed limits, because your "fuel" is far cheaper), meaning more throughput, and/or buy the "300 mile" Semi version instead, which is both cheaper and probably 1,5 tonnes lighter, but will go much further than 300 miles because you're only hauling half the mass. Both options of which are much more dramatic savings than any potential loss of payload (even inflated ones).

*** He took the whole-pack mass from the Model S 85D and adjusted it to 1MWh (which he of course called "mWh" ;) ). Ignoring:
* It's "under 1 MWh", not exactly 1MWh. We don't know yet how much under, but it is under. The 1MWh is based on 500 miles at 2kWh/mi, but the actual number is "under 2kWh/mi". We don't know how much under (one assumes it's "relatively close"), but even 1,8kWh/mi would imply 900kWh.
* 85D is outdated tech even today, let alone when Semi starts shipping
* 85D used 18650s; this will almost certainly use larger format cells, as energy is more needed than power (the pack is so large that power will be in excess, even for a semi)
* The larger you make a pack in general, the lower the percent of the mass is "overhead"

Going against this in the other direction they might, say, move from NCA to NMC. But that's not some massive difference. I'm much more expecting something like a 5 tonne pack rather than a 7 tonne pack like he estimated. And the 300 mile range version with a 3,5 tonne pack. And I think Tesla will keep all of the remainder of the tractor mass surprisingly low (beyond just omitting "diesel-related" hardware - e.g., by building most of the safety cell with UHS steel rather than mild steel, which has 4-5 times the tensile strength). I expect the 300 mile version to be surprisingly similar in weight to a conventional tractor, and the 500 mile one not vastly moreso.

Now if I was a Walmart truck buyer...I might have my big base warehouse roof outfitted with solar, and build a maga charger near the loading dock. Dont need to look for a station along the route, just come home. I would buy just a few trucks to operate out of that one warehouse, and not go cpmpany wide immediatly. So the EV trucks start as a small percentage of the fleet, and slowly ramp up in percentage. My big initial investment is in the base camp - solar facilities, and just partially in the truck.
If I was Tesla ---and I'm making promises to forward thinking investors at a party - I might be elaborate in my claims. But come contract time - I'd be very careful as to what I put in writing. As implied, if you promise a big delivery, and your customer relies on that by adjusting his fleet, and you completely fail...so, dont over promise in the contract, but talk to your customer in reality terms.

Reactions: neroden and mongo
I'm a huge fan of the concept truck, but I think the design feature that worries me most is the "un-sprung" electric drive units. They are not cushioned from road vibration by the suspension. They are hard mounted to rigid axles, which I presume are half-shafts to allow the independent drive. Those model 3 units will be subject to a lot of harsh road induced vibration. Tesla designers will have to make sure all the power cables and coolant loops are very well secured otherwise chaffing over a million miles of potholes could be an issue. Especially if not sheltered from road dirt like current drive units. I'm hoping the prototype "soft" lines get turned into conduit covered lines on the production version for everything that is unsprung to prevent chaffing. They should also be able to design in a few flex lines that allow suspension travel, yet are easily replaced at regular intervals. I hope they put this thing on a vibration simulator when they are lab testing the million mile durability, and periodically spray it with road grit;) I think these issues are not insurmountable, but may challenge the model 3 part commonality.

I'm a huge fan of the concept truck, but I think the design feature that worries me most is the "un-sprung" electric drive units. They are not cushioned from road vibration by the suspension. They are hard mounted to rigid axles, which I presume are half-shafts to allow the independent drive. Those model 3 units will be subject to a lot of harsh road induced vibration. Tesla designers will have to make sure all the power cables and coolant loops are very well secured otherwise chaffing over a million miles of potholes could be an issue. Especially if not sheltered from road dirt like current drive units. I'm hoping the prototype "soft" lines get turned into conduit covered lines on the production version for everything that is unsprung to prevent chaffing. They should also be able to design in a few flex lines that allow suspension travel, yet are easily replaced at regular intervals. I hope they put this thing on a vibration simulator when they are lab testing the million mile durability, and periodically spray it with road grit;) I think these issues are not insurmountable, but may challenge the model 3 part commonality.

Regarding commonality, based on the rendering I saw, the only common thing possible is the rotor and possibly stator. With the level of integration they have, the motor housing is the gearbox housing. In terms of vibe and such, the motor and gears are rigidly supported by bearings and build to handle the operating torque and RPM, so the amount of radial acceleration induced from the road does not seem to be an issue. The part I am more wary of is the inverter/ power module which also looks to be part of the drive unit. However, that said, this is the company with a sister/ cousin company that builds electronics which handle repeated rocket launches, so my overall level of concern is low.

One thing I am curious on is if the two drive unit cross bolt to each other to support the final output section. Seems doable with a machined axle carrier and metal cored gaskets. Also, are the using the axle as a radiator?

Reactions: neroden
I wonder why they don't make the semi trailer a huge battery pack with motors on all rear trailer wheels , interactive with the Tesla semi. You could probably get a 1000 mile range and have awesome traction in the winter, maybe. It might eliminate chaining up in most weather conditions!!!
Just think about having a fully charged battery pack in a Tesla designed 40-48' semi trailer waiting to be hooked up to your Tesla Semi and hauled anywhere!
Does anyone know the size of the battery pack in the Tesla Semi? I would think a Tesla designed semi trailer could triple the KWH of the truck. Plus it could be an emergency power source on wheels in disaster areas!