Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing nobody uses their turn signal. Had to dodge a tree branch in my lane, used a turn signal so everyone behind me knew I was moving over half a lane. No warnings, no auto-swerve.
willow I don’t use my turn signal if I drift over the line. In my case ELDA screams at me only if there is a painted line on the side of the road (2 lane).

Ughhh, so no change to ELDA. Being unable to permanently turn that off is unacceptable. I'm on 16.2 and I *hate* ELDA. It's dangerous and makes the car not fun anymore; it's hard to remember to turn it off before every single drive.
I too want to be able to turn off EDLA and not have to disable it each time. My reason is that when I have a bike rack on the back of the car, if EDLA is enabled, then I get constant warning messages about lane departure not working. Yes, I understand the rack interferes with the sensors for lane departure; I don't want to see the message come up constantly. The only way to get it to stop is to disable EDLA. Which means every time I park, I have to re-disable it. A pain.

I know. That's exactly what it is. Makes perfect sense. It has only gone off one time for me.

I am just trying to determine whether it is possible in 16.2/16.3 to maintain the same behavior, so that when I depart a lane it does NOT beep at me. That would be terrible if it beeped. The car should only beep when I'm going to hit something. I have 16.2 available but don't wish to update to it from 12.1.2 because it sounds like it is going to beep if I depart a lane. I have that on my Highlander and I have to turn it off (it stays off) because it upsets my wife so much (which means I also lose the weak Highlander lane keep assist) - of note, it goes off when it THINKS you are going to depart a lane on the Highlander...which makes it even worse. The Highlander beeping annoys me as well, but does not upset me.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like anyone knows how 16.2 or 16.3 actually works well enough to describe how it works, whether & when it beeps (and whether it is LDA or ELDA beeping), whether it steers, how much it steers, why it steers, etc. People don't even seem to be able to properly distinguish LDA from ELDA for some reason, even though LDA can be turned off (permanently).
I’m “house bound” today. Going out tomorrow, I’ll brave LDA (wELDA disabled) and try get some answers for you on sound with it. Although you can just turn LDA off, I get the impression you’d rather not.

ELDA definitely sounds an error beep and pops an error notice, same style as pressing brake & accelerator pedals simultaneously. I initially though I might have accidentally bumped the brake w/left foot on the first ELDA trigger, until I read the error text.

That’s a great question Alan. I’m going to check that. I’m going out a bit later and check it. I think LDA is off. The steering wheel vibrate mode right?

Thank you for checking.

LDA is an extension of the prior LDW (see above blog post). In the picture, they show the warning message and a blue line being crossed. Previously, LDW was vibrate steering wheel only - it did NOT beep. It's impossible to know from the blog post whether LDA now has beeping as well as vibrating. But I do know that LDW has been converted from a toggle to a slider, with three options, off, warn, and assist. Anyway, that's what I would like to know - does LDA beep when in warn mode? In general I would like a complete description of the behavior of both features, but no one seems to know.

It seems quite likely that ELDA beeps, at least, because people have been talking about audible alarms. Which is also pretty bad as it seems to trigger if you cross a solid white line, or possibly even a white line that is not solid. But that is a secondary question. The blog post shows a red line being crossed with a different warning message being displayed.

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
I’m “house bound” today. Going out tomorrow, I’ll brave LDA (wELDA disabled) and try get some answers for you on sound with it. Although you can just turn LDA off, I get the impression you’d rather not.

ELDA definitely sounds an error beep and pops an error notice, same style as pressing brake & accelerator pedals simultaneously. I initially though I might have accidentally bumped the brake w/left foot on the first ELDA trigger, until I read the error text.

Thank you! That would be sweet.

I definitely would prefer to leave my LDA on, I think that vibrating the wheel is an excellent safety feature - and I'm even curious about the assist feature. But it's not worth the beeping, if they have added that somehow.

The ELDA sensitivity and beeping - yeah, seems pretty certain it beeps - for that, I definitely will have to wait for reduced sensitivity before upgrading if I really want to avoid those - though they are presumably less common.

So, I guess depending on your results, I will figure out how I want to proceed.

Still allows a significant number of people to miss out on 2019.16.X, and still leaves out a further ~15% unexplained non-updates from @Garlan Garner original question. I've got some more theories, but he asked for no speculation :p

No speculation eh? Well hes come to the wrong place - needs to ask Tesla directly.

I know. That's exactly what it is. Makes perfect sense. It has only gone off one time for me.

I am just trying to determine whether it is possible in 16.2/16.3 to maintain the same behavior, so that when I depart a lane it does NOT beep at me. That would be terrible if it beeped.

According to Tesla, you should be ok as only ELDA will make noise and that requires a potential collision (just like Blind Spot Chime):

LDA
  • Can be deactivated by selecting Off. Controls > Autopilot > LDA & select one: [OFF/ Warn/ Assist]
  • If it detects your vehicle unintentionally starting to drift out of the driving lane without a turn signal engaged.
    • Assist - corrective steering back into driving lane (25-90mph). Designated lane is highlighted in blue. (no sound mentioned)
    • Warn - steering wheel vibrates when unintended departure is detected. (this is already existed, it is very light, no sound)
    • Off - Disable both steering assistance (Assist) and vibration (Warn) when lane departure detected.
ELDA
  • Always activated when car is turned on. Can be deactivated for a single drive. Controls > Autopilot > ELDA
  • Steers your vehicle back into the driving lane if a potential collision is detected.
  • When steering intervention occurs
    • Designated lane line is highlighted in red
    • Warning prompt on the touchscreen
    • Chime will sound

I have had 0 issues with ELDA. 0.
But I totally support the assertion that this should be a one shot toggle.
Tesla don't normally do this - makes me wonder if there is another reason as to why they are trying to make it so annoying to disable.
My gut reaction was that they (decisionmakers, maybe just Elon) view ELDA as another feature like Collision Avoidance -- default safety feature of the vehicle, with temporary disable only (to support scenarios like track use).

I've seen it. That's the suggestion others have given. I was puzzled too and then looking at it after that suggestion that's maybe what they were trying to do? Seems as good an explanation as I've come across.

Happens indoors in the garage ... no sunlight coming through anywhere.

Also see it at night ... no midnight sun where I live.

That explanation makes zero sense.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
Happens indoors in the garage ... no sunlight coming through anywhere.

Also see it at night ... no midnight sun where I live.

That explanation makes zero sense.
LOL

Of course that's silly what you are saying, not sure why you'd take it that way. :)

I meant a graphical representation of it that an artist drew with pixels (or it is rendered via a graphics library primitive) meant to evoke looking down at the sun shining on the vehicle. Not the actual sun.

Same as the red tail lights on that avatar aren't the actual tail lights, just some pixel flipping to represent it that may or may not actually match what's going on with the taillights.

Last edited:
LOL

Of course that's silly what you are saying, not sure why you'd take it that way. :)

I meant a graphical representation of it that an artist drew with pixels (or it is rendered via a graphics library primitive) meant to evoke looking down at the sun shining on the vehicle. Not the actual sun.

Same as the red tail lights on that avatar aren't the actual tail lights, just some pixel flipping to represent it that may or may not actually match what's going on with the taillights.

Hah ... I misread (you think?)

This is an even more bizarre explanation. Why is the "sun shining" at night? Or am I supposed to assume it is the moon at night? Just plain weird.

Atleast the tail lights represent reality.

Reactions: SammichLover
Hah ... I misread (you think?)

This is an even more bizarre explanation. Why is the "sun shining" at night? Or am I supposed to assume it is the moon at night? Just plain weird.

I’ve never bothered to check, not cared enough, but have you checked the screen Day/Night setting? If it follows what Auto detects?

In other words turn off your garage light & see what happens. ;) No idea if that’s it, just a guess.

Atleast the tail lights represent reality.
I suspect they don’t always. I haven’t gotten help to %100 confirm but I think there’s an intermittent bug.

I certainly wouldn't trust them to detect & display a broken taillight (but maybe they would?), certainly not display one obscured by mud. :)